Do you need copyright permission to use a system font in a logo?

Lux

Nov 22, 2004, 4:15:33 PM11/22/04
I'm looking to use an Apple Panther system font (Zapfino) for a logo. I
cannot find any information if system fonts like these can be used for
commercial use. I know Linotype's version of this font is copyrighted and
fees apply.

Thanks

Andreas Höfeld

Nov 22, 2004, 7:04:08 PM11/22/04
Also sprach/Thus spake Lux:

Fees for a license. But if you legally own or use the system
you have that license, so go ahead.

Andreas

Lars Trebing

Nov 23, 2004, 3:39:06 AM11/23/04
Andreas Höfeld wrote:

> Also sprach/Thus spake Lux:
>
>> I'm looking to use an Apple Panther system font (Zapfino) for a

>> logo. [...] I know Linotype's version of this font is copyrighted

>> and fees apply.
>
> Fees for a license. But if you legally own or use the system you have
> that license, so go ahead.

But one problem still remains: One cannot possibly make a good logo with
Zapfino.

--
Lars Trebing | http://www.ltrebing.de/ | mailto:ltre...@ltrebing.de

Alan

Nov 23, 2004, 5:34:42 AM11/23/04
"Lux" <lux@nospam_icanon.org> wrote in message news:<_Fsod.9$b%1...@text.usenetserver.com>...

If Apple or anyone else wants to limit what you can do with the
software they sold you, they need to make it explicit. Linotype's
Licensing terms are here
<http://www.linotype.com/1710/licenseagreement-folder.html>

But my personal opinion, not being a lawyer, is that once you have
rendered the font, either to bitmap or "convert to curves", the
resulting art belongs to you. As long as you don't convert this back
to a font and distribute it, AS A FONT, you should be fine. Linotype's
license talks about "font software", but in your logo it's no longer a
font, but a simple graphic.

Andreas Höfeld

Nov 23, 2004, 7:05:10 AM11/23/04
Also sprach/Thus spake Lars Trebing:

> Andreas Höfeld wrote:
>
>> Also sprach/Thus spake Lux:
>>
>>> I'm looking to use an Apple Panther system font (Zapfino) for a
>>> logo. [...] I know Linotype's version of this font is copyrighted
>>> and fees apply.
>>
>> Fees for a license. But if you legally own or use the system you have
>> that license, so go ahead.
>
> But one problem still remains: One cannot possibly make a good logo
> with Zapfino.

I think that depends on the line of trade you're in
and has nothing to do with license questions :-)

Gruß
Andreas