Freeware fonts question

1 view

Frank Burgess

Sep 16, 2004, 10:05:23 PM9/16/04
Hello

I've just skimmed through some of the 2,000+ messages here.
www.fonts.com is recommended quite often.

Are there any freeware sites you could recommed?

Yes, I have googled and the first few I found were so banner intensive
that I gave up and thought I would ask here for your freeware site
recommendations.

I have seen http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/curtis/index.htm
and
I thank RSD99 for posting that link. And thank 'Nick', of course!
:) I also noted these free fonts at
http://www.misprintedtype.com/v3/fonts.php
and http://www.iconlandia.it/categorie.asp?tipo=4, which did not have a
lot of free fonts. :(
And will look through http://www.searchfreefonts.com/fonts/a.htm.
Also http://www.dafont.com/en/. I assume these are free?!
of course I've been to http://www.1001freefonts.com/. :)

Or does someone have a list of totally free font web links?
My Googleing fingers are bone tired. ;o)

Appreciate your suggestions.

cheers
Frank

If it matters.. these would be for personal use only.

fontpl@yer

Sep 16, 2004, 10:47:17 PM9/16/04
"Frank Burgess" <m...@privacy.net.invalid> wrote

> Are there any freeware sites you could recommed?

Here's one to keep you busy for a while:
http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein/index.htm

Also start from here with the L'ab:
http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers.htm
--
2,800+ free photos: http://www.fontplay.com/freephotos/
e-mail filter: replace "extraño" with fontplay

Frank Burgess

Sep 16, 2004, 11:17:17 PM9/16/04
"fontpl@yer" <extraño...@cox.net> wrote in

> "Frank Burgess" <m...@privacy.net.invalid> wrote
>> Are there any freeware sites you could recommed?
>
> Here's one to keep you busy for a while:
> http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein/index.htm
>
> Also start from here with the L'ab:
> http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers.htm

I wasn't really expecting a reply. But was thrilled to see yours.
Yes, they will keep me busy.

Much, much appreciated, fontpl@yer!

cheers

Alan

Sep 17, 2004, 4:25:35 AM9/17/04
Frank Burgess <m...@privacy.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<2quv32F...@uni-berlin.de>...

> I've just skimmed through some of the 2,000+ messages here.
> www.fonts.com is recommended quite often.
>
> Are there any freeware sites you could recommed?
>
> Yes, I have googled and the first few I found were so banner intensive
> that I gave up and thought I would ask here for your freeware site
> recommendations.

The best font links page is Luc Devroye's
<http://jeff.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/fonts.html>

He adds new links continuosly, but is less diligent in removing dead
ones, so don't be discouraged at that.

Cillit Bang

Sep 17, 2004, 4:42:02 AM9/17/04
In article <2quv32F...@uni-berlin.de>,
Frank Burgess <m...@privacy.net.invalid> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've just skimmed through some of the 2,000+ messages here.
> www.fonts.com is recommended quite often.

Fonts.com is of course Agfa Monotype's commercial font shop. It is being
referenced by dozens of sites who appear to be running some click
through revenue scheme. These incluse fontfoundry.com,
searchfreefonts.com, fonts-online.com and, fontfinder.ws to name a few.
They make money by redirecting visitors to the fonts.com website, which
is perfectly legal of course but obscures some of your Google searches.

> Are there any freeware sites you could recommed?
>
> Yes, I have googled and the first few I found were so banner intensive
> that I gave up and thought I would ask here for your freeware site
> recommendations.
>
> I have seen
> http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/curtis/index.htm and I
> thank RSD99 for posting that link. And thank 'Nick', of course!
> :)

Step up a level and start at
http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers.htm to reach the work of some
two dozen more designers.

> I also noted these free fonts at
> http://www.misprintedtype.com/v3/fonts.php and
> http://www.iconlandia.it/categorie.asp?tipo=4, which did not have a
> lot of free fonts. :(

Are you sure? There are about 2000 there. If you scroll to the bottom of
each page, there is a bar with page numbers and the words 'Indietro' and
'Avanti' ('Previous' and 'Next'). Just in the letter 'A' category alone
there are 43 pages of fonts. Unless by 'free' you mean 'originally
non-commercial', because yes, some of their downloadable fonts seem to
be from commercial foundries.

> And will look through http://www.searchfreefonts.com/fonts/a.htm.
> Also http://www.dafont.com/en/. I assume these are free?!

Many sites will indicate whether a font is freeware or shareware, either
on the site or in the archive you download. For instance, DaFont's
Help/FAQ page says:

" Are all fonts free of charge ?
The fonts presented on this website are their authors' property, and are
either freeware, shareware, demo versions or public domain, most of the
time for non-commercial use. Look at the readme-files in the archives or
check the indicated authors' website for details, and contact him if in
doubt. "

> of course I've been to http://www.1001freefonts.com/. :)

Also check http://www.1001fonts.com/, which is different and IMHO has a
better eye for quality.

> Or does someone have a list of totally free font web links?
> My Googleing fingers are bone tired. ;o)

I'd never think I'd do this, but here's my bookmark list of sites which
offer fonts for download. Most of them offer free-/shareware fonts, some
of these also contain the odd commercial font - which might be not
strictly within the terms of use...

http://www.iai-jp.com/main.html
http://www.1001fonts.com/
http://www.1001freefonts.com/
http://www.a1fonts.com/html/Archive_A,0.htm
http://pedroreina.net/apostrophiclab/
http://www.clipserver.de/Fonts/A.htm
http://www.creamundo.com/eng/web_sevilla.php
http://www.dafont.com/en/
http://www.downloadheaven.co.uk/font.asp?findit=a
http://www.dozibaer.com/Incredimailbydozi/fonts/FontsIndex.htm
http://valgraphics.net/Fonts/fonts.html
http://www.iginomarini.com/download.html
http://fenotype.com/type/fontpage1/fontpageN1.htm
http://www.fontcontrol.de/
http://www.fontfreak.com/index2.htm
http://www.jmurphyjr.com/freefonts.html
http://www.fontazm.com/
http://www.koenhachmang.com/webwork/glitch/no_counter.html
http://www.grannysattic-plus.com/Fonts/fonts.htm
http://www.grsites.com/
http://www.iconlandia.it/categorie.asp?tipo=4
http://www.julesdesigns.com/fonts.shtml
http://mysite.freeserve.com/Kingthings/fonts/fonts.htm
http://www.ladysara.org/Fonts.htm
http://larabiefonts.com/
http://www.nerfect.com/typefree.html
http://www.nicksfonts.com/
http://leviathan.dyn.dhs.org/~djrigby/Graphics/New/index.html
http://freefonts.fateback.com/
http://www.randypavelich.com/fonts/
http://www.reflectingarea.com/styling/fonts/FontsIndex.htm
http://simplythebest.net/fonts/
http://www.subflux.com/Fonts/Fonts.htm
http://www.typenow.net/
http://moorstation.org/typoasis/typoasis1.htm
http://www.webpagefonts.com/
http://www.thewizard.it/download/font/

> Appreciate your suggestions.
>
> cheers
> Frank
>
> If it matters.. these would be for personal use only.

It does matter somewhat, especially if you happen to stumble upon a
commercial font. Strictly speaking you are not allowed to use these, but
it has been argued before (here and in other forums on the 'net) that as
long as you do not make money by using a font, for instance by creating
a design or artwork that you then sell, you could be forgiven for having
it around.

I am aware that this might stir up yet another discussion on the
subject. All I will say is that it is up to the individual (yes, that
means: you decide) to make up their own mind on this issue.

I hope this helps, and happy hunting!

Cillit
--

Disclaimer: all advice is given on 'as is' basis and no guarantees are
given either implicit or explicit towards their usefulness or accuracy.

Message has been deleted

Frank Burgess

Sep 17, 2004, 10:55:43 AM9/17/04
Cillit Bang <pink...@every.invalid> wrote in

> In article <2quv32F...@uni-berlin.de>,
> Frank Burgess <m...@privacy.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I've just skimmed through some of the 2,000+ messages here.
>> www.fonts.com is recommended quite often.
>
> Fonts.com is of course Agfa Monotype's commercial font shop. It is
> being referenced by dozens of sites who appear to be running some
> click through revenue scheme. These incluse fontfoundry.com,
> searchfreefonts.com, fonts-online.com and, fontfinder.ws to name a
> few. They make money by redirecting visitors to the fonts.com
> website, which is perfectly legal of course but obscures some of
> your Google searches.

Agreed.

>> Are there any freeware sites you could recommed?
>>
>> Yes, I have googled and the first few I found were so banner
>> intensive that I gave up and thought I would ask here for your
>> freeware site recommendations.
>>
>> I have seen
>> http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/curtis/index.htm and I
>> thank RSD99 for posting that link. And thank 'Nick', of course!
>> :)
>
> Step up a level and start at
> http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers.htm to reach the work of
> some two dozen more designers.

Wonderful!

>> I also noted these free fonts at
>> http://www.misprintedtype.com/v3/fonts.php and
>> http://www.iconlandia.it/categorie.asp?tipo=4, which did not have
>> a lot of free fonts. :(
>
> Are you sure? There are about 2000 there. If you scroll to the
> bottom of each page, there is a bar with page numbers and the
> words 'Indietro' and 'Avanti' ('Previous' and 'Next'). Just in the
> letter 'A' category alone there are 43 pages of fonts. Unless by
> 'free' you mean 'originally non-commercial', because yes, some of
> their downloadable fonts seem to be from commercial foundries.

Thanks.

>> And will look through http://www.searchfreefonts.com/fonts/a.htm.
>> Also http://www.dafont.com/en/. I assume these are free?!
>
> Many sites will indicate whether a font is freeware or shareware,
> either on the site or in the archive you download. For instance,
> DaFont's Help/FAQ page says:
>
> " Are all fonts free of charge ?
> The fonts presented on this website are their authors' property,
> and are either freeware, shareware, demo versions or public
> domain, most of the time for non-commercial use. Look at the
> readme-files in the archives or check the indicated authors'
> website for details, and contact him if in doubt. "
>
>> of course I've been to http://www.1001freefonts.com/. :)
>
> Also check http://www.1001fonts.com/, which is different and IMHO
> has a better eye for quality.

I will check it out.

Oh... my... goodness! I certainly appreciate that you have shared your
bookmark list! Oh my! It looks like I have my work cut out for me for
a few weeks. :) Thank you very, very much!

>> Appreciate your suggestions.
>>
>> cheers
>> Frank
>>
>> If it matters.. these would be for personal use only.
>
> It does matter somewhat, especially if you happen to stumble upon
> a commercial font. Strictly speaking you are not allowed to use
> these, but it has been argued before (here and in other forums on
> the 'net) that as long as you do not make money by using a font,
> for instance by creating a design or artwork that you then sell,
> you could be forgiven for having it around.

I occasionally dabble with simple graphic creations. Far from anything
commercial. Nor will they ever be commercial. :)

> I am aware that this might stir up yet another discussion on the
> subject. All I will say is that it is up to the individual (yes,
> that means: you decide) to make up their own mind on this issue.
>
> I hope this helps, and happy hunting!
>
> Cillit

Yes, your list helps! I'm stunned. I had hoped for a few links and
was blessed with more than I could imagine!

I sincerely thank you and others for all your input.

I think I'll have to go 'hunting' for a larger hard drive. ;o)

Thank you, Cillit.

Work At Home

Dec 20, 2004, 11:55:27 AM12/20/04

Alan

Dec 23, 2004, 12:32:29 PM12/23/04
On 20 Dec 2004 08:55:27 -0800, "Work At Home" <housew...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Try www.FONT.name

All the links go via "commission-junction.com" to weird addresses
(like <http://www.tkqlhce.com/i7117hz74z6MORWRUVQMWRSWOOT>) that just
display blank pages in my browser. So either they're doing something
tricky with scripting or something, &/or it's just a scam to get
clicks.

LeFly

Dec 23, 2004, 12:43:45 PM12/23/04
In article <1103823149.16cfa5afc263ce5c9b451956ec0bbb41@teranews>,
Alan <no...@none.com> wrote:

Not all. Try using the 'Fonts' link in the left hand column. [1] It
reveals an alphabet list, whose entries in turn open pages with the
usual free- and shareware fonts (first in line: 'Aarvark Cafe').

Nothing special though.

Arthur

[1] Direct link:
<http://www.font.name/directory.php?ax=list&sub=1&cat_id=1>