Old educational software (DrillPro) + SOUND.DLL

Erling Ringen Elvsrud

Dec 13, 2005, 5:02:16 AM12/13/05
Hello,

I work as a system administrator for the primary schools in my
community and we use linux on most computers. We keep a few windows
computers for old educational software. I have tried to
run one such program trough wine (Wine 0.9.3 installed on Ubuntu with
apt and the http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/ repository). The
program is most likely unknown for most readers as it is only sold in
Norway as far as I know (DrillPro).

Currently I only get a dialog box with the following message when I run
the program ("wine dpw.exe"):

"Can't load Custom Control DLL: 'Z:\var\tmp\DPW\VBTOOLS.VBX'"

When I click "OK" I get another dialog box:

"Unexpected error; quitting"

I have set WINEDEBUG=debugmesg+module

And get the following message when Wine exits:

"Could not load 'SOUND.DLL' required by 'VbTools', error=2"

with WINEDEBUG=warn+all i get:

"warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"SOUND.DLL" not found in
/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/dpw
warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"SOUND.DLL" not found in
/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system
warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"SOUND.DLL" not found in
/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows
warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"SOUND.DLL" not found in
/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/dpw
warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"SOUND.DLL" not found in
/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system
warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"SOUND.DLL" not found in
/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows
warn:file:OpenFile16 (SOUND.DLL): return = HFILE_ERROR error= 2
Could not load 'SOUND.DLL' required by 'VbTools', error=2
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle 0x334"
(have snipped more messages about fonts etc...)

Any suggestions? It appears that SOUND.DLL is required, I have tried to
find in on a WindowsXP computer with the same educational software
installed, but I can't find it anywhere.

regards,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud

Daniel Skorka

Dec 13, 2005, 8:06:15 AM12/13/05
Erling Ringen Elvsrud <erli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any suggestions? It appears that SOUND.DLL is required, I have tried to
> find in on a WindowsXP computer with the same educational software
> installed, but I can't find it anywhere.

Maybe you will have more luck looking for it on a win95 box.

Daniel

dank

Dec 14, 2005, 1:05:47 AM12/14/05
Or a windows 3.1 box -- it's being loaded as a 16 bit dll!

G.S. Link

Dec 14, 2005, 8:33:55 AM12/14/05
This problem appeared sometime between May and the release of Sept. I
have not had time to find exactly what broke but there are several other
programs that quit running with the same problem. It appears to be a
problem in Wine and its reaction to Win. 95 code. I will complain as
soon as I have time to find out exactly what got changed that broke
this. Try loading the dlls from Win. 95 and see if that helps.