WINE passes critically important TEST.

1 view

ericmatteson...@hotmail.com

Apr 30, 2009, 2:44:05 PM4/30/09
WINE passes major TEST with ednumeri

[ download ednumeri.asm line number controlled text editor program ]
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/msg/e6835b43e2a99d6b?hl=en&dmode=source

[ download casm3.c xxx86 assembler ]
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.misc/msg/439bd19b43edcf8a?hl=en&dmode=source

( Both programs are free)

Each Internet article has extra stuff at top and bottom
so both ednumeri.asm and casm3.c have comments to remove
stuff above top line and remove stuff below bottom line
after downloading but before compiling and assembling.

Wine has recently passed an important test,
The ednumeri line number controlled text editor
program runs on both Windows 98 SE and
wine + linux
..
In ednumeri use a number before a line to edit.
Odd numbers put lines in and lines of text
will replace those with the same number.
Even numbers will insert new lines between
but lines will be immediately renumbered after
that insertion.
Line numbers are not saved. They are calculated
by each lines position im memory.
position line_number
0 1
1 3
2 5
3 7
line_number = (position * 2)+1
..
There are lettered commands
o openfile.txt
s filename.txt
t 000005
Start listing at number
t without a number lists the next set of lines.
example after starting ednumeri
000001 top
000003 last
000003 bottom
000002 middle
t 000001
000001 top
000003 middle
000005 bottom
s test.txt
Then it saves and quits
restarting ednumeri
o test.txt
t 000001
000001 top
000003 middle
000005 bottom
In older mainframe line numbered editors you always
have to retype THE ENTIRE LINE in order to fix something.
In ednumeri suppose you want to change just one letter.
( you enter the lines that begin with letter l for line
editing of one character in a line with l)
l 000001
001 t 003 o 005 p 007
l 000001 003 i
001 t 003 i 005 p 007
000001 tip
Every character in a line within l lineedit is assigned
an ODD number so even numbers can insert characters
or groups of characters. Odd numbers overwrite
characters or groups of characters within l
so l lineedit adds a SECOND DIMENSION to line number
controlled text editing to make ednumeri a useful
program that can be used to TEST WINE in addition to running
on Windows 98 SE.
Scince line numbers that are used to control editing
are not saved the text file will look normal if read
on other programs.
Ednumeri does not use command line arguments so after
starting ednumeri use
o filename.txt
to open a already existing file.
ednumeri is distributed on the Internet in assembler
language source code form. It has to be assembled before it
can run.
Some versions of nasm will work but some will not.
After an error on a nasm complaining about my intentionally
redefining the origin ( 2000h for .bss and reseting to 0000h
for the .text section ) I found out that
nasm changes from time to time because assembler
language is not ansi standard like c so
nasm -f bin -o ednumeri.exe ednumeri.asm
will not always work.
I decided to upload my own casm3.c a old assembler program
for xxx86 that I trust.
On Linux the casm3.c program is easy to compile
gcc -o casm3.out casm3.c
Then to run it use
./casm3.out
Then casm3 will ask for the name of the assembler source code
ednumeri.asm
Then casm3 will ask for the name of the
output file on a later line
ednumeri.exe
Then it should report a file length of 45056
for ednumeri.exe
In linux if wine is installed use
wine ednumeri.exe
to start ednumeri line number controlled text editor program.
ednumeri.exe runs on Windows 98 SE.
Earlier this week it was submitted for TESTING on
linux + wine
It only had a initial 50% chance of working. Last summer a
Star Wars movie ( script ) had discussed a science fiction
website that advocated running Windows binaries
on a science fiction adapter on top of Linux.
of 2008 to come up with documentation for the
Windows Binary API , several articles popped
up on the Internet beginning Fall 2008 including
a PE file format article with a very small hello
world example program and other articles about changing
CreateWindow with 11 arguments into
CreateWindowEX with a zero as its first argument
of twelve because widely publicized CreateWindow
of high level languages does not really exist.
Many functions in Windows need an extraA added
to the end of the High Level Language version.
Microsoft has always neglected Assembler
language so those assembler language articles
came from outside Microsoft.
( Most or all of them were written by WINE developers !! )
Finally, On Monday, April 27, 2009 WINE actually ran
ednumeri.exe and then WINE was transformed from
just science fiction only into
proven science fact.
Windows Imitation Natural Environment ( WINE )
really can run binary Windows applications programs
on Linux!!

[ Link to article about WINE competing with Microsoft Windows ]
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv/msg/f062554227800da8?hl=en

Eric Matteson
ericmatteson...@hotmail.com

Lars Uffmann

May 16, 2009, 9:19:00 AM5/16/09
ericmatteson...@hotmail.com wrote:
> WINE passes major TEST with ednumeri
> [..]

> Windows Imitation Natural Environment ( WINE )
> really can run binary Windows applications programs
> on Linux!!

Erm... The article was actually a rather interesting read, but I have no
clue wtf you're talking about. Did you go about and create your own
Windows "Environment" and also named it wine? Or what is this about?

Best Regards,

Lars