Wine install problem on Gutsy Gibbon

Mathie...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2007, 10:11:46 AM10/21/07
I'm trying to install the latest Wine version according to the
instructions on the site. Everything goes fine until I try to install
Wine:

wine:
Depends: binfmt-support (>=1.1.2) but it is not installable
Depends: libaudio2 but it is not installable

I can't find those packages. What should I do?
Thx!

jhan...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2007, 12:28:01 PM10/24/07
On Oct 21, 10:11 am, Mathieu.P...@gmail.com wrote:
> wine:
> Depends: binfmt-support (>=1.1.2) but it is not installable
> Depends: libaudio2 but it is not installable
>
> I can't find those packages. What should I do?

What version of Gutsy? Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc? I'm asking because I
noticed some odd behavior regarding those files when I was testing a
few days ago. Was this a new install or an upgrade from Feisty?

Are you using Wine from the Ubuntu repo? Maybe try the Wine repo:
http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Are there any other messages in the terminal when you tried to install
Wine? Unreachable repo perhaps?

M.G.M...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2007, 5:42:15 PM10/27/07
On Oct 24, 12:28 pm, "jhanso...@gmail.com" <jhanso...@gmail.com>
wrote:

jhansonxi:
I'm having the exact same problem. I am using a full version (not
upgrade) of Ubuntu 7.10 and trying to install wine. I tried following
the instructions on http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb and also
tried downloading the Wine repo and installing directly.

When I try to install wine with the Synaptic Package Manager an error
box pops up that says: "The following packages have unresolvable
dependencies. Make sure that all required repositories are added and
enabled in the preferences."

In the actual box it says:

wine:
Depends: binfmt-support (>=1.1.2) but it is not installable
Depends: libaudio2 but it is not installable

----

When I try installing wine directly from the download on the website,
The Package Installer - wine window says "Error: Dependency is not
satisfiable: binfmt-support"

Under the details tab it says:
Version 0.9.47~winehp0~ubuntu~7.10.1

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks.

buri...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2007, 7:20:37 PM11/3/07
I'm having the same issues!!

I thought maybe if i changed my repositories,it would resolve
something...but alas, no help.

Ted D Bayer

Nov 10, 2007, 6:58:04 PM11/10/07

I just had this issue as well. I will admit to having been less than
methodical in my solution, but I can at least point you in the right
direction.

Assuming you're running Gnome (default Ubuntu install) go to System >
Administration > Software Sources. By default Ubuntu has most of
these sources disabled. I enabled everything that looked safe all in
one go (thus don't know which was the problem). Currently have
Canonical-supported, Canonical-maintained under the Ubuntu tab, and
added both Archive addresses under the Third Party tab.

Make Ubuntu search for updates and install any security and
recommended.

Return to http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb and follow the
instructions, and it should install correctly this time.

P.S. I've probably opened up a can of worms by enabling all these
sources and updates at once, but my Ubuntu system is for making a mess
of anyways. Your solution is in there, if you've got the time you
might want to be a little more methodical.

nelsi...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2007, 7:48:35 PM11/10/07
exactly same problem with Kubuntu 7.10...
help would extremely appreciated.

wine: Depends: binfmt-support (>= 1.1.2) but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

sdibias

Nov 18, 2007, 9:54:18 PM11/18/07
w00t!

I found this URL https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/154161

Follow these directions but substitute Synaptic for Adept (worked like
a charm ;)

Repositories are in Ubuntu a huge server which contains thousands of
programs and libraries all disposable to download and install in
Ubuntu. Dependencies are all managed by synaptic in this incredible
system. It makes installation of programs really easy and avoid
incompatibilities or else.

From what I see, it's normal that you doesn't get to install wine
because the ubuntu repositories are not activated. The only
repositories that are activated are the Wine one, but you'll not be
able to install dependencies if the Ubuntu repositories themself
aren't enabled. Anyway, you doesn't need to add Wine repositories in
order to install Wine because Wine is already in the Ubuntu
repositories ( like most of all OS softwares ) so what you need to do
is :

1. Open Synaptic and click on Settings / Repositories
2. Go to the Third Party tab and remove everything you find in that
section ( except of course if there are some that you want to keep,
but I suggest you to delete them all, including all Wine
Budgetdedicated repositories )
3. Then go to Ubuntu Software tab and check everything, and click on
Close
4. You're now back into Synaptic, and you can click on Reload to
reload the list of packages.
5. Remove any Wine version you could have installed before re-
installing it through synaptic, everything should work now.
See these screenshots :
http://upload.leservicetechnique.com/bugs/Synaptic1.png
http://upload.leservicetechnique.com/bugs/Synaptic2.png
http://upload.leservicetechnique.com/bugs/Synaptic3.png
Does that fix your issue?
Little trick : To install commonly used Windows Dlls in order to get
better chance to bring Windows programs to work under Linux, I suggest
you to download Wine-doors which will do all this work for you. You
can find it here :
http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/?page_id=3

Vaner...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2007, 12:26:07 PM11/28/07