More than one Wine?

ses...@yahoo.com

Aug 29, 2007, 10:40:16 AM8/29/07
Is it possible to have 2 versions of Wine on one computer that will
not interfere with each other? I have an older version of Wine
installed now (0.9.12) and have it set up for an app I love but I
don't want to mess with it because it is a pain to fix any problems. I
want to leave that one as is. I was hoping that I could have a newer
version installed somewhere on this computer that would not cause any
compatibility issues. Does anyone know if that is do-able? Has anyone
(who knows what they're doing) ever tried it?

This is what I tried so far:
I installed the newer version to a custom location and after I ran the
winecfg from within the new directory (which is in a sub folder in my
home directory), the already established program, WTLibray crashed. So
I deleted the .wine folder (which is in my home directory) ran winecfg
again and then copied over my backed up files from the old Wine
installation.

The Older Wine is still there (in /usr/bin) but the WTLibrary program
might be using the newer one, I don't know which one. Is there a way
to tell?

So anyway, I'm confused about the .wine folder -- should there be only
one and if there can be two, where should the other one be put so that
the new wine will read from that one and not the older one?

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Aug 29, 2007, 12:02:09 PM8/29/07
It's perfectly all possible to have as many wine versions as you want; you
just have to set WINEPREFIX to the correct .wine folders; for example:

export WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.wine-0.9.12

You may have to copy the /home/user/.wine/dosdevices folder to
/home/user/.wine-0.9.12 (it contains symlinks to the directories that
represent your C: drive, CD-rom, ...)

You also need to add the bin/ and lib/ dirs to your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gym...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2007, 1:07:20 PM8/29/07
I have it installed already so, can this all be done now, or do I have
to reinstall it?
I'm sorry, I'm such a noob at this.

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Aug 29, 2007, 5:59:13 PM8/29/07

If you compile Wine from source, just run it from the
directory in which you compiled it. If you install from
binary tarball, you may be able to do the same thing. Run
file wine-0.9.44/wine, which is a symlink to
./tools/winewrapper.

You may or may not need a separate Wine prefix area to use
with the different versions of the program.

--
Robert Riches
spamt...@verizon.net

gym...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2007, 6:13:13 PM8/29/07
On Aug 29, 5:59 pm, "Robert M. Riches Jr." <spamtra...@verizon.net>
wrote:
> spamtra...@verizon.net

> (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

Is the winewrapper tool the same as doing: ./configure make, make
install? Does it let you put the wineconfig files in a different
location?

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Aug 29, 2007, 6:33:34 PM8/29/07
On 2007-08-29, gym...@gmail.com <gym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 29, 5:59 pm, "Robert M. Riches Jr." <spamtra...@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> If you compile Wine from source, just run it from the
>> directory in which you compiled it. If you install from
>> binary tarball, you may be able to do the same thing. Run
>> file wine-0.9.44/wine, which is a symlink to
>> ./tools/winewrapper.
>>
>> You may or may not need a separate Wine prefix area to use
>> with the different versions of the program.
>

> Is the winewrapper tool the same as doing: ./configure make, make
> install? Does it let you put the wineconfig files in a different
> location?

The winewrapper script describes itself with the following:

# Wrapper script to run Wine and Winelib apps from inside the source tree

Doing './configure', 'make depend', and 'make' compile the
source code into binary, with the binaries in the source
tree. You can have as many of these areas as you like.

Doing 'make install' installs the binaries into /usr/bin or
wherever. Obviously, only one version can be present in
/usr/bin (or in each 'wherever').

If by 'wineconfig' you mean the wine prefix area,
$WINEPREFIX, that's the fake windows area into which you
install your applications. They are (almost) entirely
independent of installations (or source trees) for the Wine
program.

--
Robert Riches
spamt...@verizon.net

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Aug 30, 2007, 6:30:44 PM8/30/07
gym...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have it installed already so, can this all be done now, or do I have
> to reinstall it?

You can do this after installing, WINEPREFIX, PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are
environment variables that can be changed at any moment in you shell.

Did you install through RPMs or compile from the source?

If you did it from the source, you have to

./configure --prefix=/where/you/want/wine/to/install

then make depend;make;make install

> I'm sorry, I'm such a noob at this.

No problem as long as you're willing to experiment :^)

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gym...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2007, 9:32:07 AM8/31/07
On Aug 30, 6:30 pm, <fdele...@mail.cpod.fr> wrote:

Yes, I did it from source. This is the command I used: ./configure --
prefix=/home/<username>/Wine0944

So, would wineprefix be something like this? wineprefix=/home/
<username>/Wine0944

And I don't understand what LD_LIBRARY_PATH is. If that means the
libraries that Wine needs, I just let it find and use what's on my
system. Do I have to simlink them all or something? I still don't
quite understand.

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Aug 31, 2007, 3:57:24 PM8/31/07

If you're compiling from source, you don't need to worry
about LD_LIBRARY_PATH or any of that stuff. If $WINEDIR is
the directory in which you compiled Wine, simply execute
$WINEDIR/wine, and it will just work.

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 1, 2007, 1:10:26 PM9/1/07
gym...@gmail.com wrote:
> So, would wineprefix be something like this? wineprefix=/home/
> <username>/Wine0944

WINEPREFIX (all caps) tells wine where to look for system.reg (the
equivalent of the Windows registry).

> And I don't understand what LD_LIBRARY_PATH is. If that means the
> libraries that Wine needs, I just let it find and use what's on my
> system. Do I have to simlink them all or something? I still don't
> quite understand.

When you configure wine, and you don't give it --prefix, 'make install' will
put the programs in /usr/local/bin and the librairies and dlls in
/usr/local/lib; these locations are standard, so you don't need to put them
in your PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

However, if you configure wine with

./configure --prefix=/some/dir

then make and make install, the programs will go in /some/dir/bin, and the
librairies and dlls in /some/dir/lib; these locations are non-standard, so
Linux doesn't find them, except if you add them to your PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

export PATH=/some/dir/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/some/dir/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

That way, Linux will look for programs in your old PATH (this is what $PATH
stands for) and in /some/dir/bin; same things for the librairies.

If you have installed one version of wine in, e.g., /usr/local/wine-0.9.44
and another in /usr/local/wine-0.9.42, setting PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
correctly ensures that wine-0.9.44 will find its librairies, not those of
wine-0.9.42.

I hope it's clearer :^)

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gym...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2007, 11:27:24 PM9/2/07
On Sep 1, 1:10 pm, <fdele...@mail.cpod.fr> wrote:

Thanks for your answer.
So I just did this (from within the new wine's directory): export
WINEPREFIX=/home/<user>/.wine-0.9.44
So now, if I run winecfg from within the new wine's directory (0.9.44)
it should not mess up the old wine, am I right? The new wine has its
own /bin /include /lib and /share directories.

I also just discovered /usr/lib/wine and /usr/share/wine folders on my
system. I've also noticed that my system has wine libraries in /usr/
bin and /usr/lib

Whose libraries am I exporting, the new wine's or the old wine's?

Would it be: export PATH=/new/wine/programstuff:old/wine's/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/new/wine/libraries:old/wine's/lib?

And how would I install stuff to the NEW wine?

I hope I'm starting to understand this stuff.

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 3, 2007, 1:33:05 AM9/3/07
> Thanks for your answer.
> So I just did this (from within the new wine's directory): export
> WINEPREFIX=/home/<user>/.wine-0.9.44
> So now, if I run winecfg from within the new wine's directory (0.9.44)
> it should not mess up the old wine, am I right? The new wine has its
> own /bin /include /lib and /share directories.

That's write. You should have a symbolic link in your wine directory that
should point to ./tools/winewrapper; this wrapper takes care for you to set
PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly.

> I also just discovered /usr/lib/wine and /usr/share/wine folders on my
> system. I've also noticed that my system has wine libraries in /usr/
> bin and /usr/lib

These should be from previous installs of wine, maybe from the
package-manager you use for your distro.

> Whose libraries am I exporting, the new wine's or the old wine's?

You must export those for the version of wine you want to use.

> Would it be: export PATH=/new/wine/programstuff:old/wine's/bin
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/new/wine/libraries:old/wine's/lib?

You should set either

export PATH=/new/wine/programstuff:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/new/wine/libraries:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

or

export PATH=old/wine's/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=old/wine's/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

but not mix them.

The may PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH work is the following:

suppose you have

export PATH=/usr/local/mydir/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/bin

Then when you want to start program foo, the shell will try to find it in
/usr/local/mydir/bin, then in /usr/sbin, then in /usr/local/bin and finally
in /bin.

The first one it finds is executed, and the shell does not search in the
remaining folders.

So if you have two versions of program foo, one in /usr/sbin and one in
/usr/local/bin, only /usr/sbin/foo will ever be executed; the one in
/usr/local/bin can be run only if you give its full path to the shell, or if
you remove the one there is in /usr/sbin, or if you put /usr/local/bin
before /usr/sbin in your PATH.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH works exactly the same way, but for libraries instead of
programs.

> And how would I install stuff to the NEW wine?

In the directory pointed to by $WINEPREFIX, you should have a dosdevices
directory. In that directory, there is a c: links that points to anywhere
you wish; this is the virtual hard-drive that wine will use to install
programs to.

> I hope I'm starting to understand this stuff.

Will to learn, practice and experiment are the best ways :^)

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gym...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2007, 12:12:03 PM9/4/07
So I did these commands from a terminal (I was just in my home
directory not anywhere else)
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/some/dir/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=/some/dir/bin:$PATH
The program and library paths I typed where for the new version of
wine.
But each time, I'm not sure if anything happened. How do I know if it
did anything? Or do I have to be in some wine directory for this to
work?

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 5, 2007, 11:04:26 AM9/5/07
gym...@gmail.com wrote:
> So I did these commands from a terminal (I was just in my home
> directory not anywhere else)
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/some/dir/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> export PATH=/some/dir/bin:$PATH
> The program and library paths I typed where for the new version of
> wine.
> But each time, I'm not sure if anything happened. How do I know if it
> did anything?

Why aren't you sure it worked? What do you see in the terminal after you
type 'wine'? What do you get with 'wine --version'?

> Or do I have to be in some wine directory for this to work?

No, you don't, you can start wine from anywhere.

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gymnart

Sep 5, 2007, 12:01:54 PM9/5/07
On Sep 5, 11:04 am, <fdele...@mail.cpod.fr> wrote:

After I typed those library paths commands I just got the
<username>@linux:~> prompt and that was it.
When I type, wine --version, I get the old version (0.9.12)

You can start either version of wine from anywhere? How?

gymnart

Sep 5, 2007, 12:03:54 PM9/5/07
On Sep 5, 11:04 am, <fdele...@mail.cpod.fr> wrote:

P.S. this is what happens in the terminal after I just type, wine:

Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version Output version information and
exit

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 5, 2007, 1:35:18 PM9/5/07
> After I typed those library paths commands I just got the
> <username>@linux:~> prompt and that was it.

That's normal. The export commands only modify PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
that's all. They won't start any command (wine or other).

> When I type, wine --version, I get the old version (0.9.12)

Strange. In what directories are located the various versions of wine you
want to use (i.e. when you configured them, what was the --prefix you gave
to configure)?

> You can start either version of wine from anywhere? How?

You can start any version of wine if you have first set PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that this version will be found first, before the other
versions.

--
Fabrice DELENTE

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 5, 2007, 1:36:07 PM9/5/07
gymnart <ses...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> P.S. this is what happens in the terminal after I just type, wine:
>
> Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
> wine --help Display this help and exit
> wine --version Output version information and
> exit

That's the correct output, I was interested in wine --version; I should have
proofread before posting :^)

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gymnart

Sep 5, 2007, 2:37:38 PM9/5/07

This is the command I used to compile the new wine (from source):
./configure --prefix=/home/<username>/Wine0944

The older wine is where the .rpm put it (/usr/bin/wine, /usr/lib/
wine, /usr/share/wine).

If this were working properly, would both versions have shown up when
I typed: wine --version ?

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 8, 2007, 2:02:36 AM9/8/07
gymnart <ses...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This is the command I used to compile the new wine (from source):
> ./configure --prefix=/home/<username>/Wine0944

Then to use it you have to type in your terminal: (the $ at the beginning of
the line is the terminal prompt)

$ export PATH=/home/<username>/Wine0944/bin:$PATH
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/<username>/Wine0944/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and then in the same terminal

$ wine --version

should show 0.9.44 being used.

> The older wine is where the .rpm put it (/usr/bin/wine, /usr/lib/
> wine, /usr/share/wine).

> If this were working properly, would both versions have shown up when
> I typed: wine --version ?

No, only one wine will be executed; I didn't point out that your PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH are modified only in the terminal you typed it, not
everywhere, maybe that was the cause for the error.

To be sure, you can see how PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are set by typing

$ echo $PATH

in your terminal.

--
Fabrice DELENTE

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Sep 8, 2007, 11:44:12 AM9/8/07

At the risk of being repetitious in an attempt help solve
the difficulties that seem to continue...

If you are compiling from source, you do _NOT_ need to even
install Wine. You can run it from the area where you
compiled it. Just run 'wine' in the directory where you
compiled it. That file is a symlink to a script, and it is
there for the purpose of running Wine prior to (or without)
installing. You don't have to mess with environment
variables or anything of that like.

(I just used that method to run several different versions
to compare behavior of a certain issue.)

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 9, 2007, 9:52:57 AM9/9/07
Robert M. Riches Jr. <spamt...@verizon.net> wrote:
> At the risk of being repetitious in an attempt help solve
> the difficulties that seem to continue...
>
> If you are compiling from source, you do _NOT_ need to even
> install Wine. You can run it from the area where you
> compiled it. Just run 'wine' in the directory where you
> compiled it. That file is a symlink to a script, and it is
> there for the purpose of running Wine prior to (or without)
> installing. You don't have to mess with environment
> variables or anything of that like.
>
> (I just used that method to run several different versions
> to compare behavior of a certain issue.)

Yes, I know, but learning environment variables can be useful in many other
cases :^)

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gymnart

Sep 9, 2007, 5:30:55 PM9/9/07

> At the risk of being repetitious in an attempt help solve
> the difficulties that seem to continue...
>
> If you are compiling from source, you do _NOT_ need to even
> install Wine. You can run it from the area where you
> compiled it. Just run 'wine' in the directory where you
> compiled it. That file is a symlink to a script, and it is
> there for the purpose of running Wine prior to (or without)
> installing. You don't have to mess with environment
> variables or anything of that like.
>
> (I just used that method to run several different versions
> to compare behavior of a certain issue.)
>
> --
> Robert Riches
> spamtra...@verizon.net

> (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

That sounds very interesting!

gymnart

Sep 9, 2007, 5:57:38 PM9/9/07

That worked, now it shows 0.9.44 being used.

I just ran the new wine's wordpad from the command line for the fun of
it and that worked. That experimenting was kinda fun.

So I have to set the path and library each time I want to run the new
wine? I'm asking because after I closed the terminal and then reopened
it again and did the wine --version, it gave me the older 0.9.12.

If I got this right, when I want to run the new wine's cfg, I will
have to do the export path and ldlibrary again before I run it, right?

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 10, 2007, 12:17:28 PM9/10/07
gymnart <ses...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That worked, now it shows 0.9.44 being used.
>
> I just ran the new wine's wordpad from the command line for the fun of
> it and that worked. That experimenting was kinda fun.
>
> So I have to set the path and library each time I want to run the new
> wine? I'm asking because after I closed the terminal and then reopened
> it again and did the wine --version, it gave me the older 0.9.12.

Yes, PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are only changed for the terminal you typed
them in; they aren't changed in any other terminal.

> If I got this right, when I want to run the new wine's cfg, I will
> have to do the export path and ldlibrary again before I run it, right?

Yes, and to avoid typing you can do it in a shell script: for example

-- cut here -------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

export PATH=/dir/for/wine-0.9.44/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/dir/for/wine-0.9.44/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

wine $*
-- cut here -------------------------------------------------------------------

Save these lines in a file (e.g. start-wine-0.9.44), make this script
executable:

$ chmod +x start-wine-0.9.44

then test it:

$ ./start-wine-0.9.44 --version

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gymnart

Sep 11, 2007, 12:19:00 PM9/11/07
It worked great!

So now, if I wanted to install a windows program using wine0944, do I
type the script command followed by the program's install .exe? for
instance:
./start-wine-0.9.44 oC11b71.exe (oC11b71 is a nifty program called,
OpenCanvas)

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Sep 11, 2007, 6:06:45 PM9/11/07
On 2007-09-11, gymnart <ses...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It worked great!

It would be helpful if you would state _what_ worked great.

Generally, that's what is done. You should run
wineprefixcreate and/or winecfg first to create the prefix
area and/or configure some things first.

--
Robert Riches
spamt...@verizon.net

gymnart

Sep 11, 2007, 8:40:22 PM9/11/07
On Sep 11, 6:06 pm, "Robert M. Riches Jr." <spamtra...@verizon.net>
wrote:
> spamtra...@verizon.net

> (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

Well I was replying to Fabrice about the script that she gave me. I
thought it would appear on the same page as this one.

Last time I used the winecfg, it used the old wine's cfg. I'm not sure
though, that after running the script and then telling it to use
winecfg if it would use it's own configuration file (/home/
<username>/.wine-0.9.44) or not.

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 12, 2007, 10:39:54 AM9/12/07

Exactly; you can also run winecfg for the version of wine you want through
this script:

./start-wine-0.9.44 winecfg

to modifiy the parameters for 0.9.44, and

start-wine-0.9.12 winecfg

for 0.9.12 (e.g.)

Last thing, you can put start-wine-0.9.44 in your PATH (for example
/usr/local/bin, or /home/<user>/dir), so that you can start it from
anywhere.

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gymnart

Sep 12, 2007, 12:58:58 PM9/12/07

Now, can all this cool info (directions) be put someplace on
Winehq.org for other n00bs to read so they can do this too -- or is it
there already and I missed it?

gymnart

Sep 13, 2007, 1:33:58 PM9/13/07
On Sep 12, 10:39 am, <fdele...@mail.cpod.fr> wrote:

Here's my latest info:
wine-0.9.44 kept using the 0.9.12's .wine folder and so it messed up
the WTLibrary2006 again. I decided to make the jump and uninstall wine
0.9.12 and install wine 0.9.44 (without any prefix)
I reinstalled WTLibrary2006 but I'm not happy with the way it works
with this new wine. I looked for wine 0.9.12 on sourceforge but could
not find it. If I do find it, I will be using the info you gave me
here to try and set it up right.

So, do you know where I can get wine 0.9.12? If I get an rpm, it will
install to the system like before and I won't be able to choose where
to put it.

fdel...@mail.cpod.fr

Sep 14, 2007, 2:01:44 PM9/14/07
gymnart <ses...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, do you know where I can get wine 0.9.12? If I get an rpm, it will
> install to the system like before and I won't be able to choose where
> to put it.

At

http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators/wine/

you will find all the sourceballs for wine from 0.9 to 0.9.45

--
Fabrice DELENTE

gymnart

Sep 15, 2007, 12:40:24 PM9/15/07

Thank you very much! I have bookmarked it.

Meantime, I have found a Wine version that will run both apps that I
want (Wine.0.9.42).
I have found the man page for wineprefix so I will study that as well
as the instructions I got from you and hopefully if I end up needing
two versions of Wine, I will know what I'm doing, lol. :D