256 colors (8bit) graphics not working

Simon Kellett

May 27, 2005, 11:46:27 PM5/27/05
I am trying to get one of my kids Windows CDROM based programs to work
under Linux/wine.

With Google and man pages I got past some problems, but now the
application starts and then exists saying that it want 256 colours to run
best !! (It does the same on Win98 until you set the screen to 256
colours, then it is OK. But with Linux I thought I could find a better
solution !)

I have X normally running at 24 bits, with 16 and 8 bit entries in my
XFree86 config.

Reading the docs I added this to my .wine/config

[AppDefaults\\oshof32.exe\\x11drv]
"ScreenDepth" = "8"
"PrivateColorMap" = "Y"

I then run:

export WINEDEBUG=+palette
wine oshof32.exe

Amongst the output I get:

trace:palette:CreatePalette entries=20
trace:palette:CreatePalette returning 0x44
trace:palette:X11DRV_PALETTE_Init initializing palette manager...
trace:palette:X11DRV_PALETTE_Init visual class 4 (1)
trace:palette:GetPaletteEntries hpal = 0x44, count=20
trace:palette:GetSystemPaletteEntries hdc=0x7c,start=0,count=0
trace:palette:GetSystemPaletteEntries hdc=0x13a8,start=0,count=10
trace:palette:GetSystemPaletteEntries hdc=0x13a8,start=246,count=10
trace:palette:CreatePalette entries=256
trace:palette:CreatePalette returning 0x13c0
trace:palette:GDISelectPalette 0x13c4 0x13c0
trace:palette:GDIRealizePalette 0x13c4...
trace:palette:GDIRealizePalette realized 0 colors.

To me "CreatePalette entries=256" looks good, but the "GDIRealizePalette
realized 0 colors." does not (it appears 8 times).

Any clues !!

(I got another CDROM program to work OK: so the wine is basically setup
OK.)

(x86, Suse 9.1 + wine-20050419-0.1.i586.rpm)

TIA, Simon
--
Simon Kellett, | Gentoo Linux, Fvwm, Firefox
Darmstadt, Germany | Xemacs, Vm, Gnus

Hans

Jun 4, 2005, 11:22:31 AM6/4/05
On 2005-05-09, Simon Kellett <zox...@arcor.de> wrote:
> I am trying to get one of my kids Windows CDROM based programs to work
> under Linux/wine.
>
> With Google and man pages I got past some problems, but now the
> application starts and then exists saying that it want 256 colours to run
> best !! (It does the same on Win98 until you set the screen to 256
> colours, then it is OK. But with Linux I thought I could find a better
> solution !)
>
> I have X normally running at 24 bits, with 16 and 8 bit entries in my
> XFree86 config.
>
> Reading the docs I added this to my .wine/config
>
> [AppDefaults\\oshof32.exe\\x11drv]
> "ScreenDepth" = "8"
> "PrivateColorMap" = "Y"
>
> I then run:
>
> export WINEDEBUG=+palette
> wine oshof32.exe

I have the same problem with an old educational kids game.
The program tells me to run Windows in 256-color mode.

Here it says:
trace:palette:CreatePalette entries=20
trace:palette:CreatePalette returning 0x44
trace:palette:X11DRV_PALETTE_Init initializing palette manager...
trace:palette:X11DRV_PALETTE_Init visual class 4 (1)
trace:palette:GetPaletteEntries hpal = 0x44, count=20
trace:palette:GetSystemPaletteEntries hdc=0x7c,start=0,count=0

trace:palette:GetSystemPaletteEntries hdc=0x7c,start=0,count=0
fixme:mmtime:timeBeginPeriod Stub; we set our timer resolution at minimum
trace:palette:GDISelectPalette 0x132c 0x44
trace:palette:GDISelectPalette 0x132c 0x44
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 1 (X_CreateWindow)
Serial number of failed request: 90

If I switch to 8-bit X11, it works (well, at least past this)

BTW: display adapter is:
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)

Wine version is 0.0.20050419-winehq-1 on Debian/sarge (testing). The
debian-standard wine threw an exception in a X11DRV_DIB_CreateDIBSection
call.

Hans

Simon Kellett

Jun 4, 2005, 5:02:30 PM6/4/05
Hans <ha...@comerwell.xs4all.nl> writes:

> I have the same problem with an old educational kids game.
> The program tells me to run Windows in 256-color mode.

> If I switch to 8-bit X11, it works (well, at least past this)

Thanks for the reply: since my first post I tried running the program on
a new X-server with 8-bits, and the message goes away. Unfortunately the
app. still fails with a different X-related error (still before the
app. has created it's first window !).