zip folders support

avsha...@gmail.com

May 30, 2007, 8:01:06 AM5/30/07
Does anyone tried to use zip folders support on wine? Is is possible?
I tried to copy zipfldr.dll and register it, but it does not work.
Since I am a developer I would try to do it. Could you please suggest
a point to start? As far as I know the interfaces of zipfldr.dll are
not documented, so it will not be simple task.

Thanks in advance,
Alexander

Daniel Skorka

May 31, 2007, 12:19:26 PM5/31/07

What exactly is a zipfolder? Is it the ability to use a zipfile as if it
was a directory? If yes, at what level and how is this support
implemented in windows?

Daniel
--
Read the Wine FAQ: http://winehq.org/site/docs/wine-faq/index
Read the Wine User Guide: http://winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/index

avsha...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2007, 8:17:14 AM6/1/07
On May 31, 8:19 pm, Daniel Skorka <sko...@gmx.net> wrote:

> avshaba...@gmail.com <avshaba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone tried to use zip folders support on wine? Is is possible?
> > I tried to copy zipfldr.dll and register it, but it does not work.
> > Since I am a developer I would try to do it. Could you please suggest
> > a point to start? As far as I know the interfaces of zipfldr.dll are
> > not documented, so it will not be simple task.
>
> What exactly is a zipfolder?
zip filder support is encapsulated within zipfldr.dll which is
standard COM-component (i.e. exposes DllRegisterServer/
DllCanUnloadNow).
For example in WinXP zip folders support may be switched off by
unregistering zipfldr.dll via regsvr32.
Therefore I may suspect that this support is given on the user (shell
only) level, because CreateFile can't be applied to the files within
zip folder (I am not too sure on this - may be there is some kind of
API hooking+undocumented facilities are used?).
The exposed interfaces of the mentioned library are unknown (to me,
maybe MS published it in any hidden MSDN subsection).

> Is it the ability to use a zipfile as if it was a directory? If yes, at what level and how is this support
> implemented in windows?

Yes. Please see an answer above.

Daniel Skorka

Jun 6, 2007, 4:28:01 AM6/6/07
avsha...@gmail.com <avsha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> zip filder support is encapsulated within zipfldr.dll which is
> standard COM-component (i.e. exposes DllRegisterServer/
> DllCanUnloadNow).
> For example in WinXP zip folders support may be switched off by
> unregistering zipfldr.dll via regsvr32.
> Therefore I may suspect that this support is given on the user (shell
> only) level, because CreateFile can't be applied to the files within
> zip folder (I am not too sure on this - may be there is some kind of
> API hooking+undocumented facilities are used?).
> The exposed interfaces of the mentioned library are unknown (to me,
> maybe MS published it in any hidden MSDN subsection).

I think it might be possible to do something like this. However, I don't
know if the needed function hooks are even implemented in wine. You can
ask the devs on wine-...@winehq.org.

avsha...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2007, 3:21:01 AM6/8/07
On Jun 6, 12:28 pm, Daniel Skorka <sko...@gmx.net> wrote:
> avsha...@gmail.com <avsha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > zip filder support is encapsulated within zipfldr.dll which is
> > standard COM-component (i.e. exposes DllRegisterServer/
> > DllCanUnloadNow).
> > For example in WinXP zip folders support may be switched off by
> > unregistering zipfldr.dll via regsvr32.
> > Therefore I may suspect that this support is given on the user (shell
> > only) level, because CreateFile can't be applied to the files within
> > zip folder (I am not too sure on this - may be there is some kind of
> > API hooking+undocumented facilities are used?).
> > The exposed interfaces of the mentioned library are unknown (to me,
> > maybe MS published it in any hidden MSDN subsection).
>
> I think it might be possible to do something like this. However, I don't
> know if the needed function hooks are even implemented in wine. You can
> ask the devs on wine-...@winehq.org.

Thank you for your answer. I've just sent an e-mail to the developers,
after getting the answer I'll place it here.