Problem with menu code in Wine940714

Tim Cutts

Jul 20, 1994, 5:03:08 PM7/20/94
I have been a keen programmer of ms-windows since 1991. I have also been a
keen Linux user since late 1992. I first tried compiling wine about a month
ago, and I must say I am impressed with its progress so far. I tried
running one of my own programs with it (Refs, an MDI bibliography package)
To my surprise, Refs ran. It wouldn't do much, but it ran!

Now I have tried it with the latest version. Things are undoubtedly better,
but the menu code is missing some important stuff. I tried to hack my way
around menu.c without any success... I just don't understand enough about
the way Wine works yet, so I decided I'd throw the problem out to you guys
once the newsgroup got to me.

1) Popup menus are not leaving space for check marks.
2) Checkmarks, when present, seem to appear on the main menu bar rather
than the popup itself (try running the 3D version of Reversi that's
floating around, and have a look at the difficulty level checkmark)

These two are of course cosmetic problems and should be reasonably easy to fix.
However, the third problem is rather more serious since it affects the
operation of many programs (Refs is an example)

3) Applications are not being sent menu initialisation messages.
Many programs, such as Refs, watch for WM_INITMENUPOPUP messages,
and use these to put appropriate checkmarks, and to gray appropriate
items.

Wine does not send these messages. As a result, such programs can be
given WM_COMMAND messages for menu options that under Windows would
be grayed out, usually such operations are grayed because they are
meaningless in the current situation, and frequently result in GPFs

Is this problem being worked on? I'd have a serious go at it myself if I
have time, but unfortuantely I do not.

Cheers,

Tim.
194, Vinery Rd, Cambridge, CB1 3DS, UK (+44) 223 572622
http://mole.bio.cam.ac.uk/~tjrc1/

Alexandre Julliard

Jul 21, 1994, 12:40:06 PM7/21/94
In article <30k3ec$d...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> tj...@cus.cam.ac.uk (Tim Cutts) writes:
> [Lots of problems with menus]

> Is this problem being worked on? I'd have a serious go at it myself if I
> have time, but unfortuantely I do not.

Yes, I'm presently working on it. In fact I spent the last week-end
working on the cosmetic problems you mention, so next release should
work better in that respect. For the other problems you'll have to
wait another week-end :-)

--
Alexandre Julliard
jull...@lamisun.epfl.ch