ANN: New arcade emulation directory on wiretap.spies.com

Al Kossow

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

wiretap.spies.com/game_archive has been a repository for
information on arcade game hardware since 1992. As my
interest has shifted in the past few years from physical
games to the simulation of the games, I have decided to
create a new directory there called game_archive/emulation
to serve as an archive site for information on games such
as memory and I/O maps and game descriptions which would
be helpful to writers of arcade game emulators, and people
troubleshooting real game boards.

I'm hoping that other emulator authors would be willing
to contribute technical information as well, since it
appears that there are, for example, three different
groups of people working on Atari vector game simulators
that until recently didn't know that the other groups
existed. I'm also hoping that wiretap could become a
repository for emulators that could be ported to platforms
other than those of the original authors.

So, if you have things like memory maps, or game theory
of operation, please consider emailing them to me, or
placing them in the /incoming directory on wiretap..

Anyway, to get things started, I've uploaded some info
on the Sega Vector game hardware (which will be the next
target I work on after I get sound going for the Atari
emulator on the PowerMac..)

tnx.. al

Al Kossow

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

From article <324038...@ix.netcom.com>, by Joe Husosky <scub...@ix.netcom.com>:
> Accually the address is http://wiretap.spies.com/Gopher/game_archive/
> not the one bellow

..if you're using a web browser
wiretap's archives actually pre-date the widespread use of URL's

ftp://wiretap.spies.com/game_archive/ will work too.

Since I prefer using FTP to a web browser because
you can do things like 'ls -lt' to get a list sorted by date, I don't
normally think of addresses in terms of URLs..

Joe Husosky

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

Accually the address is http://wiretap.spies.com/Gopher/game_archive/
not the one bellow

Jason White

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

I think the problem with this type of emulator is, each game PCB has a
dedicated microprossesor that runs the code in the ROMS. except in the
games that require rom swaps. so EACH game would take lots of effort
to develop. I would really like to see some good arcade emulators
though. But for the reasons above, i dont think ill ever see any
more than a couple of good ones. i would like to see some atari
vector em's. Lunar lander and gravitar would be nice.

Al Kossow

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

From article <324090...@imt.net>, by Jason White <jas...@imt.net>:

> Joe Husosky wrote:
>
> I think the problem with this type of emulator is, each game PCB has a
> dedicated microprossesor that runs the code in the ROMS. except in the
> games that require rom swaps. so EACH game would take lots of effort
> to develop. I would really like to see some good arcade emulators
> though. But for the reasons above, i dont think ill ever see any
> more than a couple of good ones. i would like to see some atari
> vector em's. Lunar lander and gravitar would be nice.

Yup, it takes a long time to reverse engineer them, and it sure
would be nice to be able to use the knowledge of, the Pengo
or Mr Do hardware to get a version going on, say, a PowerMac
(OK, I'm biased, since I work for Apple..)

Lunar Lander and Gravitar are running today, just not under DOS.

But something I think is much more interesting is this..

Just imagine a NEW game that would run in a Tempest or Major Havoc
or being able to debug Alien Arena without blasting a new set of ROMS :-)

One of the things i'd really like to do with the Vector emulator is
to be able to release it with a NEW game that would work on, say, a Tempest
board, but could also be played on the emulator if you didn't have a
Tempest. It would also be nice to release the emulator with all the
debugging stuff left in, so somone ELSE could write games for all the
Tempests or Battlezones that are out there.