APP2/WIN:Beta Testers Wanted

Michael O'Brien

Aug 17, 1994, 10:29:39 PM8/17/94

I have been writing an Apple emulator for Windows and am ready to start beta
testing it. The name of the program is AppleWin. It is a 32-bit Windows
program targetted at the forthcoming "Chicago" and "Daytona" releases of
Windows, but it is backwards compatible with Windows 3.1. It currently
requires a 486 or better, and for legal reasons you also need to own a real
Apple //e in order to be a beta tester. Here is some more information:

Computer - Enhanced Apple //e with Extended 80 Column Card
Memory - 128k RAM, 20k ROM
Sound emulation - waveform device or PC speaker
Disk images - DOS order, ProDOS order, nibblized (auto-detecting)
saving to disk images supported
on the fly disk swapping supported
Video modes - 40/80 column text, lo-res, hi-res, double hi-res, mixed

If you would like to be a beta tester, send e-mail to mob...@netcom.com.
Be sure to state in your letter what hardware and operating system(s) you
will be using and whether or not you own a real Apple //e.

Thanks,
Mike

Brandon Acker

Aug 20, 1994, 10:19:45 PM8/20/94
Michael O'Brien (mob...@netcom.com) wrote:

: I have been writing an Apple emulator for Windows and am ready to start beta

: Thanks,
: Mike

Sounds wonderful Mike (although i don't want to be a beta tester) but
wouldn't it be slow compared to a dos version? In some ways it will be
better and some ways worse???

Brett J. Vickers

Aug 21, 1994, 2:34:37 AM8/21/94
Brandon Acker <cjw...@nella30.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>Sounds wonderful Mike (although i don't want to be a beta tester) but
>wouldn't it be slow compared to a dos version? In some ways it will be
>better and some ways worse???

It's not slow. It's amazingly fast. In fact, this has got to be the
best apple // emulator I've seen yet. On my system, I get an
effective performance of a 12MHz apple //e, and that's far from slow.
Of course I have a 90MHz Pentium with a good video card, but a fast
486 with localbus video (PCI or VESA) should at the very least be able
to drive at the 1MHz apple speed. It's also my understanding that the
emulator has support for frame skipping in cases where the hardware/OS
isn't fast enough to support the speed of the games.

In my opinion, this emulator is the first piece of Windows software
that makes the operating system capable of running decent games. The
author has obviously done a heavy amount of specialized optimization
to get it to run fast. I have yet to find an Apple // game that fails
to play excellently under this emulator.

--
Brett J. Vickers
bvic...@ics.uci.edu

David Landsberger

Aug 23, 1994, 1:20:54 AM8/23/94
Michael O'Brien (mob...@netcom.com) wrote:

: I have been writing an Apple emulator for Windows and am ready to start beta

: Thanks,
: Mike
I'd love to beta this, I own 5 apple ][s. But my mail keeps bouncing...