M-x shell fails under Windows Vista

Sean....@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2007, 1:40:55 PM3/5/07
I'm using Windows Vista Enterprise (please don't laugh), and Xemacs
21.4. When running Xemacs under Windows ("21.4 (patch 19) \"Constant
Variable\" XEmacs Lucid"), M-x shell produces
Searching for program: Invalid argument, C:\Windows
\system32\cmd.exe
Likewise for M-x grep, M-x shell-command and a DOS command, and other
things that run an inferior process. Running this command from a DOS
command prompt works. I've tried setting explicit-shell-file-name, but
haven't found any way to successfully run a process. Vista lets you
launch processes with administrator privileges, but that doesn't help
either.

If i run under Cygwin ("21.4 (patch 20) \"Double Solitaire\" XEmacs
Lucid"), i get
Doing fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
and in the Cygwin shell window, it says
6 [main] xemacs 4744 child_copy: linked dll data write copy
failed, 0x3F0000..0x3F0240, done 0, windows pid 3808, Win32 error 998

I rather suspect there's some aspect of the Vista security model
(which has already bitten me in several other places) that's the
culprit here, though i don't know. Unfortunately, backing off from
Vista isn't really an option for me.

Sean

Aaron Mathews

Mar 5, 2007, 6:33:37 PM3/5/07

Hey Sean,

I can't speak for other versions, but 21.5.27 from http://ftp.xemacs.org/windows/testing/
runs inferior processes just fine for me under Vista Ultimate (I had
the same issue with inferior processes and 21.4).

-a

--
Aaron Mathews :: http://outofband.org/

Sean....@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2007, 12:58:16 PM3/6/07
> I can't speak for other versions, but 21.5.27 fromhttp://ftp.xemacs.org/windows/testing/

> runs inferior processes just fine for me under Vista Ultimate (I had
> the same issue with inferior processes and 21.4).
>
> -a
>
> --
> Aaron Mathews ::http://outofband.org/

Aaron:

Thanks for the suggestion! I downloaded the 21.5.b27 (03-01 build)
version, and (aside from some annoying startup messages asking me to
put a disk in a drive) M-x shell, python-shell, etc are working again.
Thanks too to the code elves working in the backroom ...

Sean

Vin Shelton

Mar 6, 2007, 6:46:43 PM3/6/07
Sean....@gmail.com writes:

> Thanks for the suggestion! I downloaded the 21.5.b27 (03-01 build)
> version, and (aside from some annoying startup messages asking me to
> put a disk in a drive) M-x shell, python-shell, etc are working again.
> Thanks too to the code elves working in the backroom ...
>
> Sean

Can you tell me at what point XEmacs prompts you to insert a disk in
the drive? Does this happen if you start "xemacs -vanilla" from a
shell? What drive is it searching?

Thanks,
Vin Shelton

Sean....@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2007, 2:39:58 PM3/7/07
On Mar 6, 3:46 pm, Vin Shelton <a...@xemacs.org> wrote:

Vin:

When i start XEmacs, i get a Windows dialog that says "There is no
disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive ." (so the drive
isn't specified) There are three buttons: Cancel, Try Again, Continue.
If i hit Cancel or Continue precisely 11 times (!), it finally gives
up and starts, and then seems otherwise mostly normal (the appearance
is a bit different, i presume because it's a beta). I can't close this
dialog box with the typical windows X in the upper right corner (or
maybe i need to do that 11 times too).

xemacs -vanilla gives the same result.

Let me know if i can provide more help! Sean

Vin Shelton

Mar 8, 2007, 7:20:54 PM3/8/07
Sean....@gmail.com writes:
> When i start XEmacs, i get a Windows dialog that says "There is no
> disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive ." (so the drive
> isn't specified) There are three buttons: Cancel, Try Again, Continue.
> If i hit Cancel or Continue precisely 11 times (!), it finally gives
> up and starts, and then seems otherwise mostly normal (the appearance
> is a bit different, i presume because it's a beta). I can't close this
> dialog box with the typical windows X in the upper right corner (or
> maybe i need to do that 11 times too).
>
> xemacs -vanilla gives the same result.
>
> Let me know if i can provide more help! Sean

I've investigated a little bit, and nothing glaringly obvious jumps
out from the kit building process. What is the value of your $HOME
environment variable? Also, please post (or email if you prefer
privacy) the output of the following command:

xemacs -vanilla -debug-paths

Thanks,
Vin
acs at xemacs dot org