LaTeX from XEmacs

Nathan Andrew Paxton

May 19, 2005, 11:08:34 PM5/19/05
Hi there,

I'm running XEmacs 21.4, AucTeX 1.46, and MikTeX 2.4.1461. (I've used XEmacs to run stats with ESS, but I've just started in
with TeX.)

When I try to use C-c, C-c to run the basic latex on a *.tex file, I get the following error:
Running `LaTeX' on `samplefile' with ``latex "\nonstopmode\input{samplefile.tex}"''
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Thu May 19 22:44:10

How do I get the right syntax here? I've done some searching, but haven't stumbled on the resources that give me an
indication of what to do.

Thanks.

--
Nathan A. Paxton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Government Concentration Advisor, Gov't Dept.

David Kastrup

May 20, 2005, 3:31:00 AM5/20/05
Nathan Andrew Paxton <napa...@ls01.fas.harvard.edu> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm running XEmacs 21.4, AucTeX 1.46, and MikTeX 2.4.1461. (I've
> used XEmacs to run stats with ESS, but I've just started in with
> TeX.)
>
> When I try to use C-c, C-c to run the basic latex on a *.tex file, I
> get the following error:
> Running `LaTeX' on `samplefile' with ``latex "\nonstopmode\input{samplefile.tex}"''
> The syntax of the command is incorrect.
>
> LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Thu May 19 22:44:10

The syntax of the command is perfectly correct, so this would appear
to be a problem rather with the settings of
TeX-shell
and
TeX-shell-command-option

Please check and report their values with
C-h v TeX-shell RET

and so on. Also the values of system-type, shell-command-option,
shell-file-name and shell-command-switch.

Thank you.

Oh, and use M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET for reporting problems with
AUCTeX, preferably changing the mail address to bug-auctex at gnu.org
before sending the report.

Nathan Andrew Paxton

May 20, 2005, 10:35:40 AM5/20/05
Thanks.

TeX-shell: No match

TeX-shell-command-option: no match

system-type:`system-type' is a simple built-in variable.

Value: windows-nt

Documentation:
Symbol indicating type of operating system you are using.

shell-command-option: no match

shell-file-name:`shell-file-name' is a simple built-in variable.

Value: "C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe"

shell-command-switch:`shell-command-switch' is a variable declared in Lisp.
-- loaded from "d:\xemacs\xemacs-21.4-release\lisp\process.elc"

Value: "/c"

Does this need to be submitted as a bug report? I hadn't thought the problem was with AucTeX but with my configuration
somehow.

Best,
-N

David Kastrup

May 20, 2005, 11:05:54 AM5/20/05
Nathan Andrew Paxton <napa...@ls01.fas.harvard.edu> writes:

> Thanks.
>
> TeX-shell: No match
>
> TeX-shell-command-option: no match

Well, you first have to load a file in one of AUCTeX's modes, of
course.

> system-type:`system-type' is a simple built-in variable.
>
> Value: windows-nt
>
> Documentation:
> Symbol indicating type of operating system you are using.
>
> shell-command-option: no match
>
> shell-file-name:`shell-file-name' is a simple built-in variable.
>
> Value: "C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe"
>
> shell-command-switch:`shell-command-switch' is a variable declared in Lisp.
> -- loaded from "d:\xemacs\xemacs-21.4-release\lisp\process.elc"
>
> Value: "/c"
>
> Does this need to be submitted as a bug report? I hadn't thought
> the problem was with AucTeX but with my configuration somehow.

Well, it is a bug you experience in connection with AUCTeX. That
makes it an AUCTeX issue. Issues that the user can't be reasonably
expect to solve on his own (and I see that here), are at least
something that needs to be documented, if not downright fixed.

Nathan A. Paxton

May 20, 2005, 11:14:49 AM5/20/05
Thanks. I'll post the problem over in the other group.

David Kastrup wrote:
> Nathan Andrew Paxton <napa...@ls01.fas.harvard.edu> writes:
>

>>Thanks.
>>
>>TeX-shell: No match
>>
>>TeX-shell-command-option: no match
>

> Well, you first have to load a file in one of AUCTeX's modes, of
> course.

Sorry, but this is not "of course" yet to me. Should I worry about how
to do this yet, or should I wait to see what the AUCTeX group says?

David Kastrup

May 20, 2005, 11:39:54 AM5/20/05
"Nathan A. Paxton" <napa...@fas.harvard.edu> writes:

> Thanks. I'll post the problem over in the other group.
>
> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Nathan Andrew Paxton <napa...@ls01.fas.harvard.edu> writes:
>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>TeX-shell: No match
>>>
>>>TeX-shell-command-option: no match
>> Well, you first have to load a file in one of AUCTeX's modes, of
>> course.
>
> Sorry, but this is not "of course" yet to me.

I should have mentioned it.

> Should I worry about how to do this yet, or should I wait to see
> what the AUCTeX group says?

Well, I just asked the same question on the bug reporting list,
anyway, so it will be the sanest course of action to just continue the
conversation there.

Jens Riedel

May 23, 2005, 1:25:16 PM5/23/05

Nathan Andrew Paxton schrieb:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm running XEmacs 21.4, AucTeX 1.46, and MikTeX 2.4.1461. (I've used XEmacs to run stats with ESS, but I've just started in
> with TeX.)
>
> When I try to use C-c, C-c to run the basic latex on a *.tex file, I get the following error:
> Running `LaTeX' on `samplefile' with ``latex "\nonstopmode\input{samplefile.tex}"''
> The syntax of the command is incorrect.
>
> LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Thu May 19 22:44:10
>
> How do I get the right syntax here? I've done some searching, but haven't stumbled on the resources that give me an
> indication of what to do.
>
> Thanks.

Try this one

www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/test.html