Poll and discussion: Which do you prefer: fast-lock, lazy-lock, or lazy-shot?

jason...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2007, 2:19:48 PM7/24/07
to ste...@xemacs.org
Hi all,

Stephen Turnbull has asked me to run a poll for fast-lock, lazy-lock,
and lazy-shot users to answer.

1. Which do you prefer *for your own personal use*: fast-lock, lazy-
lock, or lazy-shot?

2. (Optional) Have you ever tried out (or at least researched) all
three systems at some point?

3. (Optional) What CPU do you have, and how fast is it?

4. (Optional) Any comments?

If you are only answering question 1, you can reply to me at
jason...@gmail.com; after a while, I will summarize all emails sent
to me.[1] Otherwise, please reply to this thread instead. This is
not a secret ballot; I won't keep your messages or your email address
private.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Spiro: Linux consultant, web developer, and corporate trainer.
No job too big or too small, whether two hours or two months.

Dan Espen

Jul 24, 2007, 3:20:03 PM7/24/07
"jasonspir...@gmail.com" <jason...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Stephen Turnbull has asked me to run a poll for fast-lock, lazy-lock,
> and lazy-shot users to answer.
>
> 1. Which do you prefer *for your own personal use*: fast-lock, lazy-
> lock, or lazy-shot?

lazy-shot

> 2. (Optional) Have you ever tried out (or at least researched) all
> three systems at some point?

Yes

> 3. (Optional) What CPU do you have, and how fast is it?

Originally chose lazy-shot on the very slow Sparc 10.

> 4. (Optional) Any comments?

I evaluated the alternatives many years ago and never had
a reason to change.

Stefan Kamphausen

Jul 25, 2007, 4:26:05 AM7/25/07
"jasonspir...@gmail.com" <jason...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Stephen Turnbull has asked me to run a poll for fast-lock, lazy-lock,
> and lazy-shot users to answer.
>
> 1. Which do you prefer *for your own personal use*: fast-lock, lazy-
> lock, or lazy-shot?

I just don't care. I have (turn-on-font-lock) in all hooks where I
need it together with (setq font-lock-maximum-size 400000) which seems
to be good enough for my needs.

> 2. (Optional) Have you ever tried out (or at least researched) all
> three systems at some point?

No.

> 3. (Optional) What CPU do you have, and how fast is it?

* Intel Dual Core 1.?GHz each
* Intel Pentium4 3.0GHz
* AMD Athlon 1.4GHz

> 4. (Optional) Any comments?

I only rarely open very large files but then I usually get messages
like "buffer to big... font lock aborted". Examples when font locking
_really_ annoys me are SQL dumps which were created without
suppression of the table creation statements.

Regards,
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)

Ralf Fassel

Jul 25, 2007, 4:37:47 AM7/25/07
* "jasonspir...@gmail.com" <jason...@gmail.com>

| 1. Which do you prefer *for your own personal use*: fast-lock, lazy-
| lock, or lazy-shot?

I don't use font-lock.

| 2. (Optional) Have you ever tried out (or at least researched) all
| three systems at some point?

No.

| 3. (Optional) What CPU do you have, and how fast is it?

Pentium 2.8Ghz.

| 4. (Optional) Any comments?

I have white text on black background. Last time I tried the default
colors were mostly unreadable with this setup, and I don't want to
take the time to find out how to set the colors in emacs and xemacs (I
use both). Furthermore, B/W emacs was good for me 20+years, so why
should I suddenly need colors ;-)

R'

Dan Espen

Jul 25, 2007, 1:43:55 PM7/25/07
Ralf Fassel <ral...@gmx.de> writes:

Wow, no color?

Just turning on font lock with a black background might cause a problem
if XEmacs thinks you are using a light background color.

You want to make sure you have hilit-background-mode
set to "dark".

I did find that font-lock mode by default uses too many italic faces
and sometimes picks bad colors so I have a lot of overrides set.

Still, XEmacs without color?

vsk...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2007, 2:51:11 PM7/25/07
On Jul 24, 9:19 pm, "jasonspiro4+mozn...@gmail.com"
<jasonspi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Which do you prefer *for your own personal use*: fast-lock, lazy-
> lock, or lazy-shot?

lazy-lock

> 2. (Optional) Have you ever tried out (or at least researched) all
> three systems at some point?

lazy-lock yes, lazy-shot yes (but it's been a while), fast-lock no.

> 3. (Optional) What CPU do you have, and how fast is it?

AMD64 3200+

> 4. (Optional) Any comments?

I have lazy-lock-minimum-size set to 2048 - that appears to be the
sweet spot above which lazy-lock starts to show real benefits compared
to plain vanilla font-lock for me. This is with XEmacs 21.5.28.

Ralf Fassel

Jul 26, 2007, 4:32:16 AM7/26/07
* Dan Espen <dan...@MORE.mk.SPAMtelcordia.com>

| > use both). Furthermore, B/W emacs was good for me 20+years, so why
| > should I suddenly need colors ;-)
|
| Wow, no color?

Well, ok, hardly any colors. I don't say plain NO to the future :-)

I use a background color for the region, a golden cursor in emacs (red
in xemacs (different method (which I had found once, but it did change
at some time) to set the cursor color)), a golden foreground for the
current article in Gnus-Summary, and a highlight color for the current
message in VM-summary. Thats about it. Ah, red background for
show-paren-mode.

Especially *no* font-lock in C/C++ and other programming languages.
I found that an indent misbehaviour most of the times is enough to
indicate something's wrong.

I find it most annoying when I insert a ", all the rest of the buffer
suddenly changes color and face until I insert the matching closing ".
Keeps me thinking "pleeeeeease, I *do* insert the matching quote, just
be patient for a *very* *short* while (#$%dammit*&^)"

| You want to make sure you have hilit-background-mode
| set to "dark".

No such variable in my stock-Opensuse 10.2
XEmacs 21.5 (beta27) "fiddleheads" (+CVS-20060704) [Lucid]
xemacs.
There is

frame-background-mode
User Option: *The brightness of the background.

which is set to 'dark', but even then e.g. the customization buffers
have (had? haven't checked recently) next to unreadable colors in the
default setting. For example, as I type this, the variable name
'frame-background-mode' above (as copied from the describe-variable
output) is dark red, and the "User Option:" dark blue, both on black
background.

| I did find that font-lock mode by default uses too many italic faces
| and sometimes picks bad colors so I have a lot of overrides set.

I just don't want to take the time to do this for emacs _and_ xemacs,
and for every other release when the old methods are declared
obsolete, please use this brand new shiny lisp-interface
(uncomprehensive macro gibberish follows) in the meantime.

| Still, XEmacs without color?

Well, I use all colors at once for the foreground, do I get a T-Shirt?

R', ;-)