Announcing Vim 3.0 for NT and Windows 95 (beta)

George V. Reilly

Dec 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/8/95
I've been hacking on Vim 3.0 to make it work better on Windows NT
and Windows 95, and I've fixed all of the formerly documented bugs
(screen painting and CTRL-C in subshells) and a number of
undocumented ones (such as keyboard handling and long filenames).
The only outstanding bug that I know about is that only about
half of the digraphs show up correctly.

Sources and binaries (for Windows 95/NT-i386) are available for
anonymous ftp from ftp.halcyon.com in /local/gvr or on the Web
from http://www.halcyon.com/gvr/.

The code compiles with both the Visual C++ 2.2 and Visual C++ 4.0
compilers. I haven't tried compiling it with any other
compilers, but wouldn't anticipate problems.

I consider this a beta because I'm the only one to have used it
much. Vim 3.0 is stable and solid on other platforms, but my
changes have not been subjected to the same kind of tests. Use
at your own risk. No warranty expressed or implied. Etc. Etc.
Feedback and bug reports welcome.

Enjoy.
--
/George V. Reilly Vim 3.0 (vi clone) for NT and Windows 95
<g...@halcyon.com> http://www.halcyon.com/gvr/

Stan Brown

Dec 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/18/95
George V. Reilly (g...@coho.halcyon.com) wrote in article <4a8u3i$o...@news1.halcyon.com>:

>I've been hacking on Vim 3.0 to make it work better on Windows NT
>and Windows 95, and I've fixed all of the formerly documented bugs

Could you give us a summary of how it "works better" in Win 95?

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio USA

Can't find FAQ lists? http://www.nacs.net/~stbrown/faqget.htm for
instructions, or email me.

George V. Reilly

Dec 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/18/95
A couple of people pointed out that I never really explained what
vim is. From the README:

Stan Brown <stb...@nacs.net> wrote:
) George V. Reilly (g...@coho.halcyon.com) wrote:
) >I've been hacking on Vim 3.0 to make it work better on Windows NT
) >and Windows 95, and I've fixed all of the formerly documented bugs
)
) Could you give us a summary of how it "works better" in Win 95?

There were a number of problems with the original port of vim 3.0
to NT, including screen painting bugs, keyboard handling, no long
filenames, and subshell handling.

The screen handling bugs included: not repainting correctly after
deleting multiple lines, not properly handling console windows
where the screen buffer was larger than the window, and not dealing
with colours correctly, especially background colours.

The keyboard fixes included making the Insert, Delete, Home, End,
PageUp, PageDown, and function keys work; and making keys like
Ctrl-6 produce Ctrl-^.

Filename fixes included making long filenames work correctly,
and making UNC names (e.g., \\server\share\directory\foo.bar)
work.

I also fixed the problem of Ctrl-C and Ctrl-Break killing vim if
they were pressed while the user was running a subshell.

Since I last posted about it, I fixed one minor bug (F9 produced
the same keycode as F10), and folded in some screen handling
enhancements from Roger Knobbe, who did the original port to NT.

Vim 3.0 works fine on both Win32 platforms: Windows 95 and
Windows NT. The Win32 version should work better than the DOS
version because it's 32-bit code, not 16-bit; it uses virtual
memory; it gives you long filenames; and it starts up much faster
under NT because it doesn't have to be run in the virtual DOS
machine.

Sources and binaries (for Windows 95/NT-i386) are available for

anonymous ftp from ftp.halcyon.com in /local/gvr/vim or on the Web
from http://www.halcyon.com/gvr/

The code compiles with both the Visual C++ 2.2 and Visual C++ 4.0
compilers and with the Win32 SDK. I haven't tried compiling it
with any other compilers, but wouldn't anticipate many problems.

Nikhil Patel

Dec 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/19/95
George V. Reilly (g...@chinook.halcyon.com) wrote:
[ - snip - ]
: I consider this a beta because I'm the only one to have used it

: much. Vim 3.0 is stable and solid on other platforms, but my
: changes have not been subjected to the same kind of tests. Use
: at your own risk. No warranty expressed or implied. Etc. Etc.
: Feedback and bug reports welcome.
Hi,

I'm using vim on HP-UX and really appreciate its extensions, even though I
use only a few of them regularly. I'm currently using "Vi IMproved 3.0 by
Bram Moolenaar (1994 Aug 12)" version. This version also has problems of
clearing screen after deleting. Also if the "backup" option is not set as
a default in .vimrc but set from within the editor and if you are editing
a file called "abc" and if "abc.bak" is already existing then it silently
overwrites w/o asking, which is sometimes problematic as the .bak file
could be an old version needed.

There are some other bugs too. So, is there a new version which is out?

: Enjoy.

: --
: /George V. Reilly Vim 3.0 (vi clone) for NT and Windows 95
: <g...@halcyon.com> http://www.halcyon.com/gvr/

Thanks,

Nikhil.

George V. Reilly

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
(Newsgroups trimmed to comp.editors)

In article <4b62ro$i...@fcnews.fc.hp.com>, Nikhil Patel <n...@fc.hp.com> wrote:
) I'm using vim on HP-UX and really appreciate its extensions, even though I
) use only a few of them regularly. I'm currently using "Vi IMproved 3.0 by
) Bram Moolenaar (1994 Aug 12)" version. This version also has problems of
) clearing screen after deleting. Also if the "backup" option is not set as
) a default in .vimrc but set from within the editor and if you are editing
) a file called "abc" and if "abc.bak" is already existing then it silently
) overwrites w/o asking, which is sometimes problematic as the .bak file
) could be an old version needed.
)
) There are some other bugs too. So, is there a new version which is out?

Vim 4.0 is nearing completion. It'll go into beta test in
mid-January and be released in late Jan.

Backups have been rethought, but I don't really know the details,
as I've only just started working on 4.0, doing the Win32 port.
For the moment, I suggest making abc.bak be readonly if you
really need to keep it around. You can also change the directory
to where backups are written (:set backupdir).

I don't know anything about screen painting on HP-UX, sorry.

Bob Crispen

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
>George V. Reilly (g...@chinook.halcyon.com) wrote:
>[ - snip - ]
>: I consider this a beta because I'm the only one to have used it
>: much. Vim 3.0 is stable and solid on other platforms, but my
>: changes have not been subjected to the same kind of tests. Use
>: at your own risk. No warranty expressed or implied. Etc. Etc.
>: Feedback and bug reports welcome.

Very, very pleased with vim on Win95, especially with the installation
and customization instructions. Of my three vi clones, (xvi and vile
are the other two) it's my favorite.

But tell me please, why do you have it save a .bak file? Real manly
men don't need no steenking .bak files. I presume there's something
in the documentation about that and about .exrc, etc. that I just
haven't got around to reading.

Anyway, nice program!

Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
rev...@iquest.com

Stan May

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95
>> Very, very pleased with vim on Win95, especially with the
installation
and customization instructions. Of my three vi clones, (xvi and vile
are the other two) it's my favorite. <<

Bob,

Where can I find VIM 3.0?

thanks...stan

George V. Reilly

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In article <4bulkr$d...@news.dgsys.com>, Stan May <sm...@ptialaska.net> wrote:
) Where can I find VIM 3.0?

See my signature.

Tony Nugent

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
sm...@ptialaska.net (Stan May) writes:

>>> Very, very pleased with vim on Win95, especially with the
>installation and customization instructions. Of my three vi clones, (xvi and vile
>are the other two) it's my favorite. <<

>Where can I find VIM 3.0?

ftp.FU-Berlin.DE : /pub/unix/editors/vim/vim-3.0.tar.gz
ftp.FU-Berlin.DE : /pub/pc/msdos/editors/vim/vim30bin.zip (binary + docs)
ftp.FU-Berlin.DE : /pub/pc/msdos/editors/vim/vim30src.zip (source + docs)
sunsite.unc.edu : /pub/Linux/apps/editors/vim-3.0.tar.gz
oskgate0.mei.co.jp : /free/others/Editors/vim-3.0.tar.gz
OAK.Oakland.Edu : /SimTel/msdos/editor/vim30bin.zip (binary + docs)
OAK.Oakland.Edu : /SimTel/msdos/editor/vim30src.zip (source + docs)

(I'm not sure about a win95 version).

BTW, vim 4.00 - a *vast* improvement over 3.0 - is nearly ready for
public release.

Cheers
Tony
/ _\ \
( /@) These words of wisdom have been presented by: )
` \_/________________________________________________/
\ . Tony Nugent \
\ _--_|\ Griffith University \
_\ / *\ Brisbane, Queensland, Australia `
/ \` \_.--._/ tnu...@gucis.cit.gu.edu.au |
| @/' v T.Nu...@sct.gu.edu.au |

George V. Reilly

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
Tony Nugent <T.Nu...@sct.gu.edu.au> wrote:
[...]

ftp.halcyon.com : /local/gvr/vim/vim3w32b.zip (binary + docs)
ftp.halcyon.com : /local/gvr/vim/vim3w32s.zip (modified source + docs)

Or see my signature.