Microsoft Word or Word Perfect for Unix

Linda Roise

Feb 9, 1990, 12:22:14 AM2/9/90

Is anyone aware of Microsoft Word's being made available for Unix
systems? How about Word Perfect? I believe Word Perfect is available
for Xenix systems. I use the Macintosh version of Microsoft Word
(4.0) on a daily basis. I'm becoming pretty proficient in vi. But I
am trying to teach some of my adjunct faculty members and others how
to do news and mail, and they are not yet ready for the challenge of
vi. If I could install an easier-to-use editor on the Encore Multimax
(Umax) Unix system, it would simplify things a great deal. These folks
use either Word for Mac or MS/DOS or they use Word Perfect.

--
Linda L. Roise, M.A. : uucp :{uw-beaver,uunet!gtenmc!dataio}!sumax!roise
Dir. Addiction Studies : Internet: roise@{blake,max,uwacdc}.acs.washington.edu

Margaret Mikulska

Feb 9, 1990, 10:19:35 PM2/9/90
In article <12...@sumax.UUCP> ro...@sumax.UUCP (Linda Roise) writes:

>Is anyone aware of Microsoft Word's being made available for Unix
>systems? How about Word Perfect?

Word Perfect is available for UNIX, at least for Sun-3's and Sun-4's.
We have it on a SparcStation-1. I don't recall the price, but it`s
not very cheap.

Margaret Mikulska
UC San Diego

mmik...@ucsd.edu

Robert Claeson

Feb 14, 1990, 5:25:48 AM2/14/90
In article <12...@sumax.UUCP>, ro...@sumax.UUCP (Linda Roise) writes:

> Is anyone aware of Microsoft Word's being made available for Unix
> systems?

Microsoft Word is available for SCO Xenix and all (I believe) UNIX/386
systems.

> How about Word Perfect? I believe Word Perfect is available
> for Xenix systems.

Among others, yes.

> If I could install an easier-to-use editor on the Encore Multimax
> (Umax) Unix system, it would simplify things a great deal.

No problems. In fact, I'm using WordPerfect under UMAX V 2.2h on an
Encore Multimax to post this message. Depending on what Multimax
you have, WordPerfect costs $5000 (for a MM310), $7000 (MM320),
$10000 (MM510) and $14000 (MM520), all list prices. Now, does this
look like a lot of money? It is a lot of money. But how many PC or
Mac licenses would you get for $5000? Right -- about 10. How many
users do you have on a typical MM310 system? Right -- between 50 and
200.

--
Robert Claeson E-mail: rcla...@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB