VoIP access to home phone?

Scott Moseman

Sep 28, 2006, 3:45:18 PM9/28/06
Assume I've got a landline phone at my home. Is there any software that
I can setup on my home server that would allow me to use an IP phone to
register with my home server and place calls using my landline? Would
this require something as complex as an actual IP PBX platform? Yes, I
know you can order Vonage (or similar) service and get a wifi enabled
phone, but that's not what I'm asking. ;)

Thanks,
Scott

Enzo Michelangeli

Sep 28, 2006, 8:06:33 PM9/28/06
"Scott Moseman" <scmo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Asterisk can easily do that, coupled to an ATA with an FXO port such as the
Linksys SPA-3102 to interface the telephone line (the existing phone can be
kept operational by connecting it to the SPA-3102's FXS port).

Enzo

Gopi

Sep 28, 2006, 11:46:51 PM9/28/06

Mypeople.com (www.mypeople.com) has a feature that will allow you to
use their VOIP services from any phone.

http://ydoesitmatter.blogspot.com/2006/04/my-remote-feature-in-mypeople.html

Gopi

Jono

Sep 29, 2006, 2:02:59 PM9/29/06

The SPA-3102 can do that on its own. Easier if your IP phone & your SPA are
connected to the same VoIPSP

Gopi

Sep 29, 2006, 3:26:38 PM9/29/06
If you are interested in Signing up, use this coupon code '1000128012'
to get 1 month free.

Enzo Michelangeli

Sep 29, 2006, 10:45:52 PM9/29/06

"Jono" <no...@none.za.uk> wrote in message

Yes, but authenticating the user to prevent calls to the PSTN by other
unauthorized VoIP callers may prove tricky: the caller ID may be faked, PIN
authentication is inconvenient and not so reliable (especially if the VoIPSP
only support inband DTMF), and HTTP Digest Authentication may also fail
depending on the VoIPSP's proxy.

Enzo

Jono

Sep 30, 2006, 4:59:45 PM9/30/06
Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

>>> Asterisk can easily do that, coupled to an ATA with an FXO port such
>>> as the Linksys SPA-3102 to interface the telephone line (the
>>> existing phone can be kept operational by connecting it to the
>>> SPA-3102's FXS port).
>>
>> The SPA-3102 can do that on its own. Easier if your IP phone & your
>> SPA are connected to the same VoIPSP
>
> Yes, but authenticating the user to prevent calls to the PSTN by other
> unauthorized VoIP callers may prove tricky: the caller ID may be
> faked, PIN authentication is inconvenient and not so reliable
> (especially if the VoIPSP only support inband DTMF), and HTTP Digest
> Authentication may also fail depending on the VoIPSP's proxy.

How much more secure would Asterisk be, unless callback was employed? I can
only think of two methods of authentication - by CLID or PIN (Three if you
count both)

Enzo Michelangeli

Sep 30, 2006, 11:13:22 PM9/30/06
"Jono" <no...@none.za.uk> wrote in message
[...]

You can use SIP's "HTTP Authentication" (also called "WWW authentication":
see Section 22 of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt). In practice, with
Asterisk you create for your SIP phone (softphone in this case) a
"type=user" or (if you want it to receive calls as well as placing them)
"type=friend" entry in sip.conf, and associate it to a context in
extensions.conf that is not accessible by any unauthenticated device:

[mysoftphone]
context=candialout
type=friend
host=dynamic
secret=sphsecret

Of course, you'll have to define an entry also for the "Line1" section of
the SPA-3102, which, if you are only interested in placing outgoing calls,
might be:

[spa3102l1]
type=peer
host=dynamic
secret=spa3102secret

Then, you place in extensions.conf:

[candialout]
exten => _X.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@spa3102l1)
exten => _X.,2,Hangup

...and also configure:
- the SPA-3102 to register as user: spa3102l1, password: spa3102secret
- the softphone to register as user: mysoftphone, password: sphsecret

Now, any incoming call claiming to come from the user "mysoftphone" (with a
SIP header "From: mysoftphone@...") will be challenged by Asterisk to
authenticate (with HTTP Digest Authentication). Only devices that do it with
the password "sphsecret" will trigger the context [candialout] and the
execution of the Dial() command; any other will be rejected.

Enzo

t...@auzinger.org

Oct 2, 2006, 10:01:46 PM10/2/06
I played with Skype for a while, and the D-Link DPH-50U adapter allows
for that I think, but I never tried it.

Thanks,

Thomas
http://www.betterphone.org

Scott Moseman

Oct 5, 2006, 4:17:08 PM10/5/06
For the record, I got this working with Asterisk. I'm able to use a SIP
phone from any Internet capable location to connect to my home Asterisk
PBX and make calls that go out *from* my landline. Very cool. My only
cost was a $15 card to interface my server with the POTS line.

Thanks,
Scott

Thomas

Oct 6, 2006, 7:32:23 PM10/6/06