IDDD Codes

John R. Covert 07-Feb-1990 0105

Feb 7, 1990, 1:25:07 AM2/7/90

John Levine points out some errors in the country code list posted by
Chris Johnston. In a separate posting I have re-posted the correct
list based on the latest CCITT Blue Book.

The following comments apply to John Levine's posting:

>St. Barts and the French part of St. Martin are admistratively part of
>Guadeloupe, and I believe that they share its code 590.

This is correct. 596 is now _only_ Martinique. Up until about five
years ago the entire French Antilles was 596, at which point
Guadeloupe (including French St. Martin and St. Barts) was split off
to 590.

>>Guantanamo Bay +53; All Points 99

>The country code for all of Cuba is 53. I realize that it's not dialable
>from the U.S. except via a 700 number in Florida that rarely works. Can
>you dial, say, Havana from other places via +53 1 234567 or some such?

Yes. Cuba is dialable from Canada, the U.K., Switzerland, and other
places. The city code for Havana is 7. A 1986 Reading, England,
phone book indicates that Havana is/was the only city served.

Guantanamo Bay can _only_ be reached from the U.S. When dialling 011
53 99 xxxx from the U.S. you can hear dialtone from the PBX at
Guantanamo Base just before the four digit extension is dialled. 0xxx
(zero followed by anything) gets you the base operator.

/john