AP1200 wds server hanging

jeffli...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2006, 3:06:49 AM2/7/06

Has anyone encountered a problem on WDS were the wds server hangs after
a while? Using c1200-k9w7-mx.123-4.JA image.

So far, we have WDS server on several areas and the only wds server AP
that haven't hanged yet was the area which has the least WDS clients.
When the WDS server hangs, it can't be accessed by telnet and worst, we
can't even get any output form the console. Since we are using poe to
supply power to the AP, upon reseting it, no crash info or whatsoever.
Lights on the middle only(green). top and bottom led are off.

This affects all wireless clients. Not only the authentication will not
go through but it is also not associating to the AP. Turned on debugs
on the WDS client AP and see nothing at all. To solve the association
problem, we have to reset the wds client AP and remove the wds client
configuration.

It has been months now and the WDS server with the least wds clients
are still ok. Not certain if this is the cause of the problem but this
is the only difference. Configs are the same.
Other area is not using WDS anymore due to the problem.
I still have one wds server that is on a hanged state but i do not know
we could extract any information since console is not possible.

according to
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1100/accsspts/i1234ja/i1234sc/s34roamg.htm
Access point with radio interfaces disabled - Participating Access
Points Supported are 60.

So shouldn't have any problems at all since our radio int are turned
off and our wds clients are less than that. One wds that hanged have
less than 30.

We have 3 ssid in different vlans using peap with TKIP encryption and
another dynamic WEP.

Cheers,
Jeff

Merv

Feb 7, 2006, 4:25:32 AM2/7/06

Sounds like a memory leak ( ie. memory used by a task that is not freed
after the task is done with it).

Using the "show memory free" output ( the first two line), track the
amount of free memory over time to see if it is decreasing. If it is
then there is definitely a memory leak. At that point you would need to
open a case with the Cisco TAC.

Matthew Balyuzi

Feb 7, 2006, 4:39:41 AM2/7/06

> Has anyone encountered a problem on WDS were the wds server hangs after
> a while? Using c1200-k9w7-mx.123-4.JA image.

Yes.

12.3(7)JA2 fixed it for me. I think 12.3(7)JA1 still had problems.

Matt Balyuzi

Aaron Leonard

Feb 7, 2006, 12:36:43 PM2/7/06
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:39:41 +0000, Matthew Balyuzi <m.ba...@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

~
~ > Has anyone encountered a problem on WDS were the wds server hangs after
~ > a while? Using c1200-k9w7-mx.123-4.JA image.
~
~ Yes.
~
~ 12.3(7)JA2 fixed it for me. I think 12.3(7)JA1 still had problems.
~
~ Matt Balyuzi

Agreed - if you are suffering from stability problems with WDS APs in 12.3JA
branch code, please do upgrade to 12.3(7)JA2.

Regards,

Aaron

jeffli...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2006, 12:33:00 AM2/8/06
Thanks for the help and recommendation everyone! Will upgrade to
12.3(7)JA2 and test it.

Cheers,
Jeff

jeffli...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2006, 3:05:53 AM2/25/06
just an update people,

upgraded the wireless to 12.3(7)JA2. Have not tested the wds configs
yet but the problem got worst, now client doesn't connect with our peap
& tkip configuration. It is failing in association. Working with
dynamic wep & tkip though. Checked the ACS side, no failing logs.
Almost the same problem because on the other area where less access
point, it is working.

Have no chance to troubleshoot more thoroughly since it is in
production. Downgraded the image and now works fine.
When i checked the logs, a client has roamed. i haven't configured WDS
yet. normal behavior?

Anyways, better stay that way until i got a time to investigate.

Thanks!