IOS Upgrade through console in cisco 2500

bond007

Mar 19, 2005, 6:38:12 AM3/19/05
Hi

I want to upgraded ios in cisco 2500 router . kindly advise me in this regard
thanks in advance
thanks
bns

BradReeseCom

Mar 19, 2005, 10:23:51 AM3/19/05
You may wish to investigate the Cisco IOS Software Selector:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/ISTMAIN/servlet/index

as well as Cisco IOS Upgrade Planner:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosplanner.cgi?majorRel=

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com® Cisco Resource Center
United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
Website: http://www.BradReese.Com

Richard Graves

Mar 19, 2005, 4:08:19 PM3/19/05
"bond007" <sol...@sol.net.in> wrote in message

bns,

What kind of info are you looking for here? How to upgrade the IOS? Or
what IOS to upgrade to?

For basic info on how to do the upgrade see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

For info on what IOS to upgrade to see Brad's earlier post.

HTH,

-Richard

Aaron Leonard

bond007

Mar 27, 2005, 11:16:23 PM3/27/05
Aaron Leonard <Aa...@Cisco.COM> wrote in message news:<4rb6419blq6uh096v...@4ax.com>...

> Can't do it via the 2500 console.

I want to upgrade IOS through console . How to do kindly advise
bns

Howard Huntley

Mar 28, 2005, 12:02:19 AM3/28/05
Connect your pc to the router console connection, configure an
interface with a tcpip address and subnet on the router. On the pc
start up and configure a IP address on the tftp server to transfer the
upgrade *.bin file to the router. Connect the a nic cable from the nic
on the pc to the router interface. Log onto the router and issue the
command "copy tftp flash" This is basicallly how it is done, I don't
have time to look up all the fine details, you may want to check the
Cisco web site for further details..

Brad

Mar 28, 2005, 1:59:24 PM3/28/05
Howard is correct if you currently have a functional IOS. If not, then
you'll have to load it through the console port.

Boot into rommon mode.
Change the console rate to 115200 (otherwise it'll take a lot longer).
You'll have to restart HyperTerm (or whatever program your using) to
match the 115200 console rate.
Transfer the file via HyperTerm using xmodem (it steps you through the
process, use the ? for help in rommon mode).
It may seem like it's not doing anything after it's done xferring but
the checksum on the image xferred may take a while. (You'll see the hex
numbers slowly count upwards).
When it's done reload the router, providing it's a supported IOS for
that model and you have sufficient flash and ram, it should be
successful.

Aaron Leonard

Mar 29, 2005, 12:22:18 PM3/29/05
Good instructions for recent routers whose console ports support
xmodem; however the 2500 is not one of them.

On the 2500, you'll have to load code via TFTP thru the Ethernet.

Aaron

---