fault tolerant routers

1 view

Clayton Nash

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

Is there any way to configure two routers in a redundant configuration so
that if one blows up the other automatically takes over. By take over here I
mean maintain the existing tunnels and state information of the original
router -- much like Novell's SFT III basically.

Thanks,

Clayton

Director, Ionicom UK
Tel: +44 171 355 5026 Mobile: +44 410 380 634
"Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity,
cash is reality"

Dr Vincent C Jones PE

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <9265732...@news.Colorado.EDU>,

Clayton Nash <cla...@ionicom.co.uk> wrote:

>Is there any way to configure two routers in a redundant configuration so
>that if one blows up the other automatically takes over. By take over here I
>mean maintain the existing tunnels and state information of the original
>router -- much like Novell's SFT III basically.

I am not aware of any way to have cisco routers cooperate directly to
provide this function, but I believe you could provide the equivalent by
treating the tunnels as links and setting up routing accordingly.

DISCLAIMER:
I have not actually done this. My assumption that it can be done is
extrapolation of configurations I have done with Cisco routers to provide
automatic fallback with redundant NAT and stateful firewalls. Actual
implementation may require two routers at each end in addition to the
routers providing the tunnels.

--
Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE Expert advice and a helping hand
Computer Network Consultant for those who want to manage and

Preben Soeberg

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
Try to have a look at HSRP (Hot standby routing protocol)

Preben