memory

fatlob...@yahoo.com

Feb 7, 2006, 10:58:03 PM2/7/06
I need to determine how much memory is in the pix 515e
unit that we bought but our network person has not
gotten to install yet. Presently, there are two cards
installed and I want to make sure that we have 128 and
not 64 so we can upgrade the software. The ram chips
have 4 memory modules on them and I was wondering if
you could tell me by me giving you that information
whether they are 64 or 128 each. Here are some numbers
that may help us determine the size. Here are a few
pics as well.

SMART PFC104071613
SM564043574N63JMFO
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for
your time.

Feb 7, 2006, 11:12:40 PM2/7/06
I don't personally recognize the physical description or the part
numbers (and neither does Google). Just power up the Pix and do a
"show version". That's the easiest way to tell. Also, if you're
planning on running an Unrestricted license then you'll need 256MB.

fatlob...@yahoo.com

Feb 7, 2006, 11:18:13 PM2/7/06
I have 2 pix- one is a 515e-UR and the other is 515e-FO. I don't even
know how to get into the pix. I have it hooked up to my PC but I am
clueless when it comes to these. Is there a place where I can go or
could you possibly help me get it to get that information. I was told
that I have to set up the same ips and telnet but again, I'm clueless
when it comes to this but I do know my way around PCs very well just to
give you an idea of my knowledge.

thanks

fatlob...@yahoo.com

Feb 7, 2006, 11:54:07 PM2/7/06
I think that I am logged in b/c hypertermal is saying I'm connected- I
used the serial to rj45 to the console on the back- I used com 3 is
that alright? maybe it is since I am connected but I tried shpow
version in the hyperterminal window and nothing happens

fatlob...@yahoo.com

Feb 7, 2006, 11:54:12 PM2/7/06

Feb 8, 2006, 1:07:15 AM2/8/06
Honestly I don't know if I could walk you through this. Connecting to
the console could be an all day speaking event for some people. Do you
have the right cable, a serial port or USB adapter, and DB9 adapter if
applicable? What COM port are you on. Are you using the 9600 8N1
settings? Do you know the password for the device? Do you have the
necessary file to attempt password recovery? There are too many
unknowns for me to be of any real assistance. I googled for "cisco
console howto" and found a few useful hits.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cisco+console+howto&btnG=Google+Search

Setting up a Pix is certainly not a trivial manner. I recommend
finding a person qualified to take on the task. I could write a book
on nothing but Pix basics and still not cover everything you should
know. Someone else may be able to provide better input than I. Best
of luck.

BernieM

Feb 8, 2006, 4:50:00 AM2/8/06
"J" <use...@linuxnuts.net> wrote in message

I agree with J ... finding a qualified person to do the job. This is
'security' you're talking about and you don't always get a second chance.
Once you get into the pix how do you know you'll interpret what you see
correctly?

I admire your determination but I wouldn't be letting anyone that can't do
what you're trying to do anywhere near my pix. Don't you pay your network
'guy' to do this stuff? if you want to learn I suggest you watch over his
shoulder.

My 2c worth.

BernieM

BernieM