Openview, Win95 and raw IP socket support

Kurt Evans

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
Has anyone had luck configuring Windows 95 with an IP stack that supports
raw sockets for use in IP polling and discovery of devices under Openview
for Windows? The native Win95 stack doesn't support raw sockets (neither
does NT) and I haven't had success using FTP's stack or Novell's LAN
workplace.

Thanks, Kurt
kev...@excel.net

Kurt Evans

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96

Kurt Evans

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96

Kurt Evans

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96

bob pasker

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
i don't know about doing this under openview, but ICMP.DLL has a
send_echo_reply() entry point that is quite useful for sending and
receiving ICMP messages (ping, traceroute) for doing discovery. the
only code sample i have, however, is a native method for java. its not
particularly tricky to use, but remember to use htonl() on the ip
address parameter.

--bob pasker r...@well.com

Ramprakash Krishnaswamy

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
to kev...@excel.net
Kurt Evans <kev...@excel.net> wrote:
>Has anyone had luck configuring Windows 95 with an IP stack that supports
>raw sockets for use in IP polling and discovery of devices under Openview
>for Windows? The native Win95 stack doesn't support raw sockets (neither
>does NT) and I haven't had success using FTP's stack or Novell's LAN
>workplace.
>
>Thanks, Kurt
>kev...@excel.net

I had the same problem with NT 3.51. According to HP they are going to release
another version by this Feb. which solves this problem.

Ram

Jeroen Hager

Jan 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/18/96

In article <4cptlt$p...@sun.sirius.com>, r...@well.com (bob pasker) says:

>i don't know about doing this under openview, but ICMP.DLL has a
>send_echo_reply() entry point that is quite useful for sending and
>receiving ICMP messages (ping, traceroute) for doing discovery. the
>only code sample i have, however, is a native method for java. its not
>particularly tricky to use, but remember to use htonl() on the ip
>address parameter.
>
>--bob pasker r...@well.com

Stuart MacMillan

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96
> >Where do we find the Patch ???

Stuart MacMillan

Kurt Evans

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96
Todd Lange wrote:

> You can obtain this version as a beta from HP tech support. I've used it on
> both NT and Win95 and it works well.
>
> Todd Lange
> tla...@pclink.com

Thanks Todd, I got the same information from HP's Developer support.

They use some tricks in the beta to get around Microsoft's lack of full ICMP
support. So far the beta seems stable.

The only place I could find the beta was on Compuserve, go HPSYS in the
openview library. It's supposed to be on the ftp server, I searched but
couldn't find it.

--Kurt

Todd Lange

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96