1 Gbps on dial-up modems -- physically-possible?

1 view

Green Xenon [Radium]

Nov 1, 2007, 5:49:42 PM11/1/07
Hi:

Is it physically possible to for dial-up internet connection to reach a
speed of 1 Gbps by using a baud of 1-symbol-per-second [to conserve
bandwidth] but 1-billion-bits-per-symbol?

Each symbol carries a billion bits bits but with only 1 baud.

bps = baud X number of bits per baud.

Is this physically-possible?

Thanks,

Radium

Floyd L. Davidson

Nov 1, 2007, 5:17:40 PM11/1/07

Only if you can come up with a cable pair which has
either infinite bandwidth or zero noise.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) fl...@apaflo.com

clifto

Nov 1, 2007, 7:25:33 PM11/1/07

The thesis answering that in detail is here. --> .

--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
Three feet

Green Xenon [Radium]

Nov 2, 2007, 6:25:33 PM11/2/07
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> "Green Xenon [Radium]" <gluc...@excite.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi:
>>
>>Is it physically possible to for dial-up internet
>>connection to reach a speed of 1 Gbps by using a baud of
>>1-symbol-per-second [to conserve bandwidth] but
>>1-billion-bits-per-symbol?
>>
>>Each symbol carries a billion bits bits but with only 1 baud.
>>
>>bps = baud X number of bits per baud.
>>
>>Is this physically-possible?
>

> Only if you can come up with a cable pair which has
> either infinite bandwidth or zero noise.

What about if I were to use the currently present phone lines? Why
wouldn't this work?

Green Xenon [Radium]

Nov 2, 2007, 6:25:40 PM11/2/07
clifto wrote:
> Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:
>
>>Is it physically possible to for dial-up internet connection to reach a
>>speed of 1 Gbps by using a baud of 1-symbol-per-second [to conserve
>>bandwidth] but 1-billion-bits-per-symbol?
>>
>>Each symbol carries a billion bits bits but with only 1 baud.
>>
>>bps = baud X number of bits per baud.
>>
>>Is this physically-possible?
>

> The thesis answering that in detail is here. --> .

Huh?

Green Xenon [Radium]

Nov 2, 2007, 9:31:46 PM11/2/07

well????????

Green Xenon [Radium]

Nov 2, 2007, 9:32:06 PM11/2/07

Why is this group so silent?!

clifto

Nov 2, 2007, 10:15:07 PM11/2/07

There's a billion bits encoded in that one eight-bit character.

You just have to find the right decompression table. If it decodes to
an Ann Coulter book, you're using the wrong table.

Green Xenon [Radium]

Nov 4, 2007, 6:27:59 PM11/4/07

Well? Why wouldn't it work????