Hayes Press Release: High-Density Rack Communications System

tni...@hayes.com

Oct 4, 1992, 2:57:25 PM10/4/92

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
H-2492+++AT

HAYES ANNOUNCES MILLENNIUM 8000 NETWORK SYSTEM

ATLANTA, GA, 28 September 1992 -- Hayes Microcomputer
Products, Inc. today announced Hayes Millennium 8000 Network System,
a high-density communications platform that provides a long term,
upgradable solution for wide area connectivity to both host and
local area network environments.

Hayes Millennium 8000 Network System is a rackmount system
that provides for up to 16 line cards and two System Controller
Cards. In the system design each line card is capable of providing
between one and eight communications devices such as high speed
modems or ISDN terminal adapters. Each Controller Card provides
support for control and management of the system as well as access
to a local area network.

Users will be able to mix a variety of circuit switched and
packet switched data communications technologies within a common
system while giving access to communications server devices such as
Novell NACS or host computers. Understanding the concept of evoling
user needs, Hayes has designed Millennium 8000 so that users can
deploy today's technology and later supplement their existing
installation with state-of-the-art technologies without having to
remove or replace the initial investments. The system architecture
provides for the future migration to digital transmission media to
provide T-1 or ISDN termination and allows the user to mix analog
and digital line cards in the same system.

Complete system control and configuration is supported by
the Control Station software. Through a Windows 3.0 or 3.1
interface, the Control Station software provides communications
management, control, configuration, and monitoring of the system via
a local area network connection. The Control Station approach
provides an architecture which in the future will support a variety
of network management requirements.

Hayes Millennium 8000 is designed in a totally modular
fashion to facilitate service and repair. All critical system
elements are capable of being configured in a redundant manner so
that no single component failure can cause the entire system to
fail. The serviceability is supported by a "replace me" service
approach where an indicator light on each module shows which module
requires replacement. Major components are "hot replaceable" and
can be replaced without having to power down the system

"This Network System uses a system architecture that we have
proven in the installation of over 20,000 lines that support the
Prodigy network and builds on ULTRA technology found in modems that
are approved and selling in over 60 countries worldwide." said
Hayes President Dennis C. Hayes. "Hayes Millennium 8000 is a
natural extension of Hayes capability and provides a platform where
we can continue to bring to the market evolving technologies and new
solutions for our customers."

Initial Hayes Millennium 8000 Network System modules include
two types of Communication Chassis, a Global Power Supply and dual
ULTRA 144 Line Cards with dual connector cards. These modules will
be available direct from Hayes or through data communications VARs
in October 1992 in the U.S., Latin America and Canada. System
Controller Cards and the System Control Software which will add
increased intelligence to the system's communications and control
capabilities will be available beginning February 1993. Hayes
Millennium 8000 is priced competitively, and depending on the
configuration, prices range from $1,000 to $1,300 per port.

The system is designed for the global market and will be
available First Quarter '93 in Australia, the United Kingdom, China,
France, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Germany and South Korea as the
appropriate approvals are received.

Hayes Millennium 8000 carries a limited two year performance
warranty and an extended warranty program is available.
Applications consultants and technical support engineers are
available through Hayes Customer Service in the U.S., Canada, Europe
and Asia. Hayes is currently making arrangements to provide
customers with onsite installation and repair services.

Best known as the leader in microcomputer modems, Hayes
develops, supplies and supports computer communications equipment
and software for personal computer and computer communications
networks. The company distributes its products in over 60 countries
through a global network of authorized distributors, mass merchants,
dealers, VARs, systems integrators and original equipment
manufacturers.

###

For further editorial information, please contact:

Angie Ciarloni/Peggy Ballard
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.
Direct Dial Number: Angie Ciarloni - 404/840-6823
Peggy Ballard - 404/840-6812
Fax: 404/441-1238
MCI Mail: ACiarloni, PBallard

For additional product information and upgrades, customers should contact
Hayes Customer Service:

Telephone Online with Hayes BBS
404/441-1617 (U.S.) 800/US HAYES (U.S. and Canada)
519/746-5000 (Canada) 404/HI MODEM (U.S. and Canada)
081-848-1858 (U.K.) 404/729-6525 (U.S. - Atlanta ISDN Users)
852-887-1037 (H.K.) 081-569-1774 (U.K.)
852-887-7590 (H.K.)

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer | Voice +1-404-840-9200 Telex 401243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc. | Fax +1-404-447-0178 CIS 70271,404

Sinan Karasu

Oct 4, 1992, 4:26:01 PM10/4/92
Does anyone out there have the US Robotics Sportster 14400 Fax modem
hooked up and running in data mode on suns? I have 2 in the office(new)
which I am trying to get running on a Sun 4/490. They work -sortof- they
just won't answer until sometimes the 7th ring, sometimes 1st,
sometimes 3rd.....You get the picture.... Auto answer
is on and the codes claim that it is set to answer on the first ring but...
It doesn't look like it even sees the ring. On the one at home on a Sun SS1
it doesn't answer at all- ever. If you call in to it it rings once then goes to
a fast busy signal (whatever that means!).

I can put other US Robotics modems in place with no problems (with the
same setup) but not these.
I am close to returning them but thought maybe someone had run into this.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sinan

Todd Radel

Oct 4, 1992, 8:20:35 PM10/4/92
In article <6126.2...@hayes.com> tni...@hayes.com writes:

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> H-2492+++AT
^^^

Gee...looks like a "TIES bomb" to me. What do you all think?

--
Todd Radel | "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed
CIS/English undergrad | my father. Prepare to die."

Vernon Schryver

Oct 4, 1992, 10:26:38 PM10/4/92
In article <BvMGy...@news.udel.edu>, ra...@bach.udel.edu (Todd Radel) writes:
> In article <6126.2...@hayes.com> tni...@hayes.com writes:
> >
> > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> > H-2492XXXAT

> ^^^
> Gee...looks like a "TIES bomb" to me. What do you all think?

(I changed the +s to Xs.)

Good point. Someone from Hayes should comment immediately.

In the absense of a convincing explanation that the intent of that
string was not to cause mischief, to kill modems on links not running
precompressed news, or to crash modems for people remotely reading
news, their UUCP and mail feeds should make threatening noises. The
network posse would be called out for a denial of service attack from
Joe College. The same standards should apply to all organizations and
individuals.

Could some lawyer comment about "malicious mischief" and similar such
crimes? Might the new federal laws apply?

Unless Hayes and Mr. Nixon have an explanation at least as good as
"oops, that was only supposed to be in the test file," I think they
should be dealt with summarily, but individually by each of us
according to our individual judgement, without consultation with each
other. Do not suggest any organized action, since I understand the
putative organizers of things like boycotts can get in trouble. It's
probably best for each of us to not even say what actions we might
individually take. This could get messy legally.

The previous implications from Mr. Nixon about not wanting to comment
on a press release by his employer do not apply. This superficially
appears to be a willful act of sabotage, given Hayes's claims about the
danger of the string. No reasonable professional will knowingly
cooperate in such an act.

Of course, the fact that there has not been a great hue and cry about
that string suggests that Hayes has in fact grossly exaggerated danger
of "TIES".

Vernon Schryver, v...@sti.com

Steven L. Johnson

Oct 5, 1992, 12:49:10 AM10/5/92
tni...@hayes.com writes:

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> H-2492===AT
changed +'s to ='s, just in case somebody has a problem........^^^^^

Many words come to mind, but education is not one of them.

-Steve

Erik Forsberg

Oct 5, 1992, 2:32:04 AM10/5/92
In article <qmd...@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com> v...@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:
>In article <BvMGy...@news.udel.edu>, ra...@bach.udel.edu (Todd Radel) writes:
>> In article <6126.2...@hayes.com> tni...@hayes.com writes:
>> >
>> > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>> > H-2492XXXAT
>> ^^^
>> Gee...looks like a "TIES bomb" to me. What do you all think?
>
> (I changed the +s to Xs.)
>

>Good point. Someone from Hayes should comment immediately.
>
>In the absense of a convincing explanation that the intent of that
>string was not to cause mischief, to kill modems on links not running
>precompressed news, or to crash modems for people remotely reading
>news, their UUCP and mail feeds should make threatening noises. The
>network posse would be called out for a denial of service attack from
>Joe College. The same standards should apply to all organizations and
>individuals.

I would assume the following to be the relevant part.

>Of course, the fact that there has not been a great hue and cry about
>that string suggests that Hayes has in fact grossly exaggerated danger
>of "TIES".

I personally feel that ANY character combination whatsoever, is perfectly
appropriate in a news item (at least when they are short enough). Any one's
modem that does something unexpected with it obviously has it completely
misconfigured for the task at hand.

I thought it was kind of a cute idea (and seeing how many flames it attracted)

Erik Forsberg, er...@eab.retix.com Phone: (310) 476-7133 FAX: (310) 476-7657

Kris A. Kugel

Oct 7, 1992, 10:47:33 AM10/7/92
Vernon Schryver (v...@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com) wrote:

I missed the conversation about "TIES", so maybe the below is off base.

In the great usenet tradition of "flying off the handle",
we have another flamefest going.

To restore some rationality, I'll first ask,

"has anybody SEEN any problems as a result of this?"

One would assume a sequence of '+'s would be natural in many
types of material to be sent by modem, and so it would make sense
if modems handled this well.

In fact, in my Trailblazer manual, it says,

"... An escape sequence contains three consectutive escape characters
(defined by the S2 register) separated from other characters
by a guard time (specified by the S12 register).

The modem switches to command mode only after you enter an escape
sequence with the proper guard time...."

On my system, the guard time default is one second.
Kind of a long delay to appear by random event.

Now, not all Hayes-compatible modems are trailblazers,
and we don't know the intent of the original posters.

Still, LET'S SEE SOME PROBLEMS RESULT before we talk about malicious.

Kris A. Kugel 908-842-2707
hico2!kak k...@hico2.westmark.com

Message has been deleted

Alexis Rosen

Oct 8, 1992, 5:26:09 AM10/8/92
BTW, one more point: I have ZyXELs at both ends of the link I'm on now. They
were completely unfazed by the triple-plus. I knew there was a reason I
liked them so much...

--
Alexis Rosen Owner/Sysadmin,
PANIX Public Access Unix & Internet, NYC.

Alexis Rosen

Oct 8, 1992, 5:23:33 AM10/8/92
ra...@bach.udel.edu (Todd Radel) writes:
>In article <6126.2...@hayes.com> tni...@hayes.com writes:
>>
>> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>> H-2492xxxAT
> ^^^

>Gee...looks like a "TIES bomb" to me. What do you all think?

(I changed the 3 '+' to 3 'x', as did the other posters)

1) I think that the wise-ass at Hayes who decided to put this in electronic
press releases should be shot.

2) I strongly doubt that Toby knew that this was in his posting. He strikes
me as a person of fairly reasonable nature.

3) I just bought 14 Hayes Optima 2400 modems. I wish I could cancel the
order. They are without a doubt the last Hayes modems, or in fact Hayes
products of any sort, that I will ever buy.

maur...@spcvxb.spc.edu

Oct 10, 1992, 2:05:28 PM10/10/92
In article <1992Oct8....@netcom.com>, ge...@netcom.com (Greg Andrews) writes:
> In article <qmd...@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com> v...@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

>>> ^^^
>>> Gee...looks like a "TIES bomb" to me. What do you all think?
>>
>> (I changed the +s to Xs.)
>>

> [portions deleted]

>>The previous implications from Mr. Nixon about not wanting to comment
>>on a press release by his employer do not apply. This superficially
>>appears to be a willful act of sabotage, given Hayes's claims about the
>>danger of the string. No reasonable professional will knowingly
>>cooperate in such an act.
>
> I see it in a slightly different light:
>
> Hayes can put whatever they want into the text of their press releases.
>
> What I want to know is....Doesn't Hayes WANT their product information
> to be distributed as widely as possible? Do they REALLY want to have
> people miss announcements about their products because they put a TIES
> sequence in the title?
> It's pretty amusing to me...

>>Of course, the fact that there has not been a great hue and cry about
>>that string suggests that Hayes has in fact grossly exaggerated danger
>>of "TIES".
>>

> I would be willing to wager that most sites have turned off the escape
> sequence anyway -- even sites with Hayes modems. Not a problem.

I am fortunate in that my Zoom v.32 modem seems to ignore the 3+s by
default. However, it DID take me a while to figure out why one of the
users on my machine had problems with his (Hayes) modem suddenly
dropping carrier. After an hour or so of digging I got around to asking
him what he was doing when it happened and he replied "I was trying
to read an article about Hayes in comp.dcom.modems."

I am about to buy 10 modems for my company to link various offices
throughout the US and I will not recommend Hayes because of this
type of sleazy behavior. Nor will I buy Hayes modems when I upgrade
the modem pool on my unix box at home (another 5 sales lost).

Hayes has effectively shot itself in the foot as I'm sure a lot of
people on the internet read this group from time to time and that
many of them have a major influence on purchasing decisions at their
respective jobs/BBS's.

Skoal,

Chris

Steven L. Johnson

Oct 11, 1992, 1:31:54 AM10/11/92
maur...@spcvxb.spc.edu writes:

>I am fortunate in that my Zoom v.32 modem seems to ignore the 3+s by
>default. However, it DID take me a while to figure out why one of the
>users on my machine had problems with his (Hayes) modem suddenly
>dropping carrier. After an hour or so of digging I got around to asking
>him what he was doing when it happened and he replied "I was trying
>to read an article about Hayes in comp.dcom.modems."

It seems unlikely that this is the case as:

a) hayes modems are unaffected by the TIES trigger contained in the
articles; and
b) the trigger only affects the the sending modem (i.e. not the
end user) when simply reading an article; and
c) the sequence given only drops the sending modem into command
mode, but should not cause it to drop carrier.

I think it slightly more subtle than (or totally unrelated to)
the "dreaded TIES bomb" affecting a Hayes modem.

-Steve