Can't get CID setting to save in USR 5686

1 view

jstee...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2005, 8:30:20 PM10/18/05
I have a US Robotics external modem (model 5686 -
http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5686) that I'm
trying to set up to be a fax server using Hylafax
(http://www.hylafax.org/). I finally got the distinctive ring feature
to work, but can't seem to get caller ID to work. Well, I can get it to
work, I just can't get the working state to save. I've managed to
figure out that what I want is to set "#CID" to 1, and caller id will
work. Trouble is, as soon as the modem does an ATZ, the setting is
lost:

ATZ
OK
AT#CID = 1
OK

RING A

DATE = 1018
TIME = 2021
NMBR = XXXXXXXXXX
NAME = STEENHAGEN JACO

RING A
ATZ
OK
AT#CID?
0

OK

I've tried both &W0 and &W1 (&W0 being the command I had to use to get
my distinctive ring setting to save), but as soon as the ATZ happens,
the CID setting is reset to 0:

ATZ
OK
AT#CID = 1
OK
AT&W0
OK
AT&W1
OK
AT#CID?
1

OK
ATZ
OK
AT#CID?
0

OK

So, does anybody out there know how to get this setting to save? I'm at
a loss :(

GEO

Oct 18, 2005, 11:01:42 PM10/18/05
On 18 Oct 2005 17:30:20 -0700, jstee...@gmail.com wrote:

>I have a US Robotics external modem (model 5686 -
>http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5686) that I'm
>trying to set up to be a fax server using Hylafax
>(http://www.hylafax.org/). I finally got the distinctive ring feature
>to work, but can't seem to get caller ID to work. Well, I can get it to
>work, I just can't get the working state to save. I've managed to
>figure out that what I want is to set "#CID" to 1, and caller id will
>work. Trouble is, as soon as the modem does an ATZ, the setting is
>lost:

>I've tried both &W0 and &W1 (&W0 being the command I had to use to get
>my distinctive ring setting to save), but as soon as the ATZ happens,
>the CID setting is reset to 0:
>
>ATZ
>OK
>AT#CID = 1
>OK
>AT&W0

>ATZ
>OK
>AT#CID?
>0

You might want to try using ATZ1 or ATZ2. ATZ might be resetting it
to a factory default. The options for Z go from 0 to 5.

Geo

Paul Murphy

Oct 19, 2005, 2:49:01 PM10/19/05
<jstee...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>I have a US Robotics external modem (model 5686 -
> http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5686) that I'm
> trying to set up to be a fax server using Hylafax
> (http://www.hylafax.org/). I finally got the distinctive ring feature
> to work, but can't seem to get caller ID to work. Well, I can get it to
> work, I just can't get the working state to save. I've managed to
> figure out that what I want is to set "#CID" to 1, and caller id will
> work. Trouble is, as soon as the modem does an ATZ, the setting is
> lost:

<snip>
I'm not familiar with that Hylafax software but USR's Rapidcom software (or
SmithMicros Hotfax/Hotfax Message Centre) should log all the CID details on
your system. I cant understand why you want to save the "working state" - if
its just a log you need, default software supplied with the modem will
handle that. Additionally most telephony software even including basic
packages such as BVRPs Classic PhoneTools 6 will also allow you to setup a
fax on demand system.

Paul

Moe Trin

Oct 19, 2005, 9:42:58 PM10/19/05
In the Usenet newsgroup comp.dcom.modems, in article
jstee...@gmail.com wrote:

>I have a US Robotics external modem (model 5686 -

>I just can't get the working state to save. I've managed to

>figure out that what I want is to set "#CID" to 1, and caller id will
>work. Trouble is, as soon as the modem does an ATZ, the setting is
>lost:

Did you read the manual? If you don't have one, fire up minicom, seyon,
or equal, and after setting the modem init string (minicom uses something
strange - set it to AT&F1), run the command 'at$' and look at the
results. On this old 5687, for the ATZ command, I see

Zn n=0 Dip #7 up: Yn
Dip #7 down: &F0
n=1 Reset to &W0 settings
n=2 Reset to &W1 settings
n=3 Reset to &F0 settings
n=4 Reset to &F1 settings
n=5 Reset to &F2 settings

So - what is your DIP switches set to?

Old guy

jstee...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2005, 6:38:31 PM10/20/05
The Hylafax piece is actually of little consequence. I chose that
software because my fax server is a linux box. The real problem is that
the modem doesn't seem to be saving the CID setting. I can set it, and
while its set it will work fine, but as soon as the reset command is
issued, the modem looses that setting. I have a 33.6 USR modem that
will keep the CID setting across ATZ commands, but I can't seem to get
it to store it across power cycles. I could probably make a script that
goes out and issues an AT#CID=1 command periodically, but that seems
like it really shouldn't be necessary.

jstee...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2005, 6:50:01 PM10/20/05
Zn n=0 Y setting determines reset

n=1 Reset to &W0 settings
n=2 Reset to &W1 settings
n=3 Reset to &F0 settings
n=4 Reset to &F1 settings
n=5 Reset to &F2 settings

And Y is 0 which is for:
Yn n=0 Next Reset to &W0 settings

Which means I should be using the W0 settings.... and the #CID setting
should be saved in W0, AFAICT. Anyway, here's my current settings as
saved if anybody's curious:
ATI4
U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT Settings...

B0 E1 F1 M1 Q0 V1 X4 Y0
BAUD=19200 PARITY=N WORDLEN=8
DIAL=TONE ON HOOK CID=0

&A3 &B1 &C1 &D2 &G0 &H1 &I0 &K1
&M4 &N0 &P0 &R2 &S0 &T5 &U0 &Y1

S00=000 S01=000 S02=043 S03=013 S04=010 S05=008 S06=002
S07=060 S08=002 S09=006 S10=014 S11=070 S12=050 S13=000
S15=000 S16=000 S18=000 S19=000 S21=010 S22=017 S23=019
S25=005 S27=000 S28=008 S29=020 S30=000 S31=128 S32=002
S33=000 S34=000 S35=000 S36=014 S38=000 S39=000 S40=001
S41=001 S42=000

LAST DIALED #:

OK

FWIW, If I run AT#CID=1 and then ATI4, my CID setting in that above
display does say 1.

Moe Trin

Oct 21, 2005, 8:15:45 PM10/21/05
In the Usenet newsgroup comp.dcom.modems, in article
<1129848601....@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jstee...@gmail.com wrote:

>Which means I should be using the W0 settings.... and the #CID setting
>should be saved in W0, AFAICT.

Hopefully, you're not wacking &W0 very often - NVRAM has a limited number
of write cycles.

>Anyway, here's my current settings as
>saved if anybody's curious:
>ATI4

That's the current settings, what's in ATI5 (ati5) ?

>FWIW, If I run AT#CID=1 and then ATI4, my CID setting in that above
>display does say 1.

Understood - 'ATI4' (ati4) is the _current_ settings.

How are you initializing the modem? I only use mine as a backup dialout,
but I explicitly set the modem when I use it. You could for example put
an "echo 'at#cid=1' > /dev/ttyS0" (or where ever your modem is hiding)
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local as that is the last boot script to run on boot.

I can't remember if USR's do it, but _some_ modems clear the buffers on
a 'ATZ', so anything appended to that command (example ATZ#CID=1) is lost
and all the modem sees is ATZ. This is another reason there are often
places for multiple init strings in GUI applications.

Old guy

jstee...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2005, 11:31:02 AM10/26/05
Honestly, I'm not doing anything special to initialize modem that I'm
aware of. When I installed linux on this box, there was no modem. I
added it about a week ago when I was trying to install hylafax. I have
another machine using a 33.6 faxmodem at work also running FC4 and
hylafax. I can send it an AT#CID=1 and it will keep it through an ATZ,
but not through a power cycle. Maybe I'll just take that modem home and
trough something in cron to turn on CID :).

ATI5
U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT NVRAM Settings...

Template Y0

DIAL=TONE B0 F1 M1 X4
BAUD=19200 PARITY=N WORDLEN=8

&A3 &B1 &G0 &H1 &I0 &K1 &M4 &N0

&P0 &R2 &S0 &T5 &U0 &Y1

S00=001 S02=043 S03=013 S04=010 S05=008 S06=002 S07=060

S08=002 S09=006 S10=014 S11=070 S12=050 S13=000 S15=000

Moe Trin

Oct 27, 2005, 8:28:15 PM10/27/05
In the Usenet newsgroup comp.dcom.modems, in article
<1130340662.0...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
jstee...@gmail.com wrote:

>Honestly, I'm not doing anything special to initialize modem that I'm
>aware of. When I installed linux on this box, there was no modem. I
>added it about a week ago when I was trying to install hylafax.

I'm told hylafax is a fine program, though I'm not using it. Most
applications seem to come with default modem init strings that the
author discovered while on a _really_ bad acid trip. They generally
have nothing in common with the manufacturer's recommended string.

>I have another machine using a 33.6 faxmodem at work also running FC4
>and hylafax. I can send it an AT#CID=1 and it will keep it through an
>ATZ, but not through a power cycle.

I was going to say something above NVRAM, but that last phrase killed
that idea.

>ATI5
>U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT NVRAM Settings...

Yeah, but notice the '#CID' isn't listed as part of the RAM.

My solution would be to change the modem init string. You've got
the ATI4 (ati4) settings that result from a ATZ - why not compare that
to the ATI4 (ati4) settings that result from a AT&F1 - what's different?
I'd then change the init string from ATZ to 'AT&F1#CID=1' plus what
ever else needs changing. 'ATZ#CID=1' _might_ work, but I'm not sure
how portable it may be - I do know that some unspecified modems clear
the command register on a ATZ, so the #CID=1 could be lost.

Old guy