rommable code for ascii to fax wanted

Harold Hallikainen

Jun 4, 1991, 7:43:32 PM6/4/91

I'm working on a control system using the 8088, 80286
and similar processors. Code is being written in Turbo Pascal
and being stored in ROM. The system contains no disk drive and
does not have a copy of DOS. I'd like to find a library of
routines to "talk" to standard fax modems. I need to be able
to tell the modem to place a call, then I'd like to send it
ascii strings which would be printed as lines of text on the
called fax machine. Of course, I also need to be able to
disconnect from the called fax machine. To not take a ton of
ram, I'm thinking the text to fax conversion can be done on a
line by line basis (one line of text changed to an approriate
number of lines of fax).
Also in this system, I need to detect incoming DTMF
and do ascii text string to voice conversion (out the modem).
Most of the voice output stuff I've seen records voice instead
of doing ascii to voice. Use of ascii to voice should give
our users flexibility in system operation (though they may
have to spell things strangely to make it sound right).
Further, ascii text takes a lot less memory than speech!
So, I'll look forward to any comments. I've only
been reading this group for about a month, but have found
it very informative. Thanks for the help!

Harold Hallikainen
Hallikainen & Friends
141 Suburban Road
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401