What's the best way to make HTML pages from databases?

Bruce G Cornelius

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
applications that are easy to set up along this format. I see a lot of
interlinking of databases and Web pages, but it is typically a database
that is embedded in a Web page rather than many Web pages being housed in
a database. Does anyone have any insight on this.

Thanks in advance.

--Bruce

Randy Jordan

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

In article <553uge$q...@gold.tc.umn.edu>, corn...@gold.tc.umn.edu (Bruce G
Cornelius) wrote:

Sybernet system lets the database do the formating.
It dynamically create's the html pages from Sybase stored procedures.
The system operates without cgi scripts, it holds a user connection, and
it allows automatic guest login. It acts as a cgi middleware server
between the http server and the database. And it lets you get down with
the real business of database work.

Come try it out, believe me the 50$ shareware fee will pay you back
a thousand times over in time saved.

Try it out at our demo system at;

http://spacely.sri.com/netscape.html (Netscape server on solaris)

http://spacely.sri.com:2080/ (CERN server on solaris)

or

http:/linux.sri.com/ (Apache server on a linux 486 clone)

or

http://sybernet.sri.com/ (Webstar on a Mac 8100)

You can logon using 'guest' as a user name, and your email address
as a password.

RJ

Randy Jordan Senior Systems Analyst
SRI International
(408) 735-1175 (415) 859-4625
rw_j...@mindspring.com rjo...@unix.sri.com
http://mis.sri.com/rjordan/

Van C. Bagnol

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

(Bruce G Cornelius (corn...@gold.tc.umn.edu)) wrote:
: It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
: masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
: applications that are easy to set up along this format. I see a lot of
: interlinking of databases and Web pages, but it is typically a database
: that is embedded in a Web page rather than many Web pages being housed in
: a database. Does anyone have any insight on this.
: Thanks in advance.

I think NeXTSTEP's WebObjects are such that the HTML template is one of the
attributes of the object. Since objects can be persistent (i.e., you can
store them in an OO database), you thus have a database of web "pages".

What's cool is that web objects can have built-in intelligence to them,
and can inherit from other web objects, just like windows and the like.
"Serving" a web page is analogous to "displaying" a window object. Much
more powerful than static pages.

(BTW, Bruce, I haven't forgotten your e-mail - I've just been
procrastinating :-)

Van
--
Van Bagnol / v...@crl.com / Teatro ng Tanan / Windsurfing / Parachuting
Hawksbill Capital Management / (707) 575-7077 / (707) 575-8334 fax

TalentSoft Web+Master

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96
to Bruce G Cornelius

TalentSoft Web+ (http://www.talentsoft.com) is another powerful and
easy-to-use Web application development tool and middleware. It is
designed for rapid web application development for multiple
hardware/software/OS platforms. Web+ is a middleware that integrates
with databases, TCP/IP sockets, Java applcations, file system, and
supports the calling of other applications programs. Therefore it is
truely a web middleware for database, file, socket, Java, and
interfacing with other programs.

Web+ is based on a client/server architecture and supports
multi-threaded server side script processing. You can even mix and
match platforms, ie. allowing Unix/Linux based web servers to integrate
with Windows based databases such as MS Access, dBase, Paradox, SQL
Server, etc. by installing Web+ Client (webplus.exe) on the Unix web
server and Web+ Server (multi-threaded, webpsvr.exe) on Windows NT or
Win95. Its multi-threaded client/server architecture offers much faster
performance compared to regular CGI programming using Perl or C. Web+
offers the greatest flexbility comparing to some of the platform
dependent tools such as Cold Fusion, dbWeb, etc..

For more information, please check out:
TalentSoft
Email: in...@talentsoft.com
Tel: 612-338-8900
Fax: 612-904-0010
WWW: http://www.talentsoft.com

Bruce G Cornelius wrote:

> It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
> masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
> applications that are easy to set up along this format. I see a lot of
> interlinking of databases and Web pages, but it is typically a database
> that is embedded in a Web page rather than many Web pages being housed in
> a database. Does anyone have any insight on this.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --Bruce

Mark Hancheroff

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

>> It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
>> masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
>> applications that are easy to set up along this format.

We do a product that links ODBC compatable databases with a web server, to
dynamically create web pages. It's pretty robust.
Check out our site if interested (www.stormcloud.com)

Kjeld Lau Petersen

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96
to klp

Bruce G Cornelius wrote:

> It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
> masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
> applications that are easy to set up along this format. I see a lot of
> interlinking of databases and Web pages, but it is typically a database
> that is embedded in a Web page rather than many Web pages being housed in
> a database. Does anyone have any insight on this.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Bruce

Try to look at Illustra (http://www.illustra.com/)!
There the HTML pages are placed in the database, and SQL statements are
written inside the HTML page. When the page is selected, the SQL is
executed.

I think, it's a very nice and cool tool for database integration.

There are gateways to Oracle and Informix (and perhaps others)

Best regards
Kjeld Lau Petersen
| | Product Manager Email : k...@dde.dk
__| __| __ Dansk Data Elektronik A/S Phone : +45 4284 5011
/ |/ |/__) Herlev Hovedgade 199 Fax : +45 4284 5220
\__/\__/\__ DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark WWW : http://www.dde.dk

James Cook

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

I've just finished building a pair of pretty sophisticated database/web
systems using Panorama, AppleScript and WebSTAR.

Using AppleScript to pass the form processes on, Panorama is capable of
generating some pretty intense pages on-the-fly and it's quick. That was
really important to me. We've got it hooked to one database of about
30,000 records on a Mac 7500. It takes about 5 seconds for it to begin
sending the response.

The results aren't online yet, so you can't look it over for yourself,
but I'm working to change that.

James Cook
j...@hindsightltd.com

Dave Murphy

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:08:54 -0800, ma...@oz.net (Mark Hancheroff)
wrote:

>>> It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
>>> masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
>>> applications that are easy to set up along this format.
>

>We do a product that links ODBC compatable databases with a web server, to
>dynamically create web pages. It's pretty robust.
>Check out our site if interested (www.stormcloud.com)

You could also check out www.ieinc.com for the product Amazon.
Connects ODBC and also native connections to Oracle, SQL server,
Sybase, DB2 (MVS, OS/2 and AS400).

Comapny is called Intelligent Environments.

To keep the discussion here not just a blatant advert, there are
something like 100+ tools for web database type apps. Most areclient
server tools with some form of web extension. Prices vary from a few
dollars to many thousands (eg a web objects server costs >20,000 usd)
and facilities vary enormously too. Some are definitely aimed at
large corporates and VARs (Amazon and Web objects fit this category)
others are proced to allow the home user into the market.

Dave (employee of the company, but speaking for himself).

Mike Pav

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

Check out DynaMorph at http://www.morphtech.com. DynaMorph is a full
featured server side processor that allows you to embed powerful CGI
code into your HTML pages. It also has an integratwed Object DB for
fast access to previously cached pages...

David Sherman

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

I am using Corel Web.Data to create static HTML Pages. No manual but
all help is on-line have used it with Acess 95 tables.

v...@crl.com (Van C. Bagnol) wrote:

>(Bruce G Cornelius (corn...@gold.tc.umn.edu)) wrote:
>: It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
>: masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any

>: applications that are easy to set up along this format. I see a lot of

>: interlinking of databases and Web pages, but it is typically a database
>: that is embedded in a Web page rather than many Web pages being housed in
>: a database. Does anyone have any insight on this.
>: Thanks in advance.

Be Bold. Color Outside the Line!

Constructive Computing Consulting
366 West Fourth Avenue
Columbus, OH 43201-3104
614-294-0671

Dean A. Richards

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

> >(Bruce G Cornelius (corn...@gold.tc.umn.edu)) wrote:
> >: It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
> >: masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
> >: applications that are easy to set up along this format. I see a lot of
> >: interlinking of databases and Web pages, but it is typically a database
> >: that is embedded in a Web page rather than many Web pages being housed in
> >: a database. Does anyone have any insight on this.
> >: Thanks in advance.
>
> Be Bold. Color Outside the Line!
>
> Constructive Computing Consulting
> 366 West Fourth Avenue
> Columbus, OH 43201-3104
> 614-294-0671

Oracle's WebServer will allow you to write PL/SQL code to create dynamic
web pages. See http://www-dc.us.oracle.com/products/websystem/ for more
information on WebServer.

Also Oracle has a product called Designer/2000 that allows you to
generate web pages based solely on the design specifications you give
it, like table design, module design, etc. It will also generate Visual
Basic 4.0 code, C++ header files, as well as Developer/2000
applications. See http://wibble.uk.oracle.com/ or
http://www.dbmsmag.com/9610d18.html for more information.

Randy Jordan

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

> Oracle's WebServer will allow you to write PL/SQL code to create dynamic

This is great if you want to write Perl scripts into static html pages.

Come try the SRI Sybernet cgi server This software is a way
to connect your Web Servers to your Sybase SQL server with a minimum of
effort. It allows stored procedures within the Sql server to produce
dynamic http output.

A demo system is available to try out (it is best
if you visit using a 'frames' enabled browser)
on our site at;

http://spacely.sri.com/netscape.html (Netscape server on Solaris)

or

http://spacely.sri.com:2080/ (CERN server on Solaris)

or using a Webstar server running on a Mac at;

http://sybernet.sri.com/ (Webstar on Mac 8100)

or

http://linux.sri.com/ (Apatche on Linux 486 clone)

You can login using 'guest' as a username and your email address
as 'password'. This will permit you to 'browse' the 'pubs2'
database on our Sql server. Or if you have Java you might try playing
a game of chess through the database.

Geoff Crawford

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

In article <55hcd6$b...@crl3.crl.com>, phi...@crl.com says...

>Bruce G Cornelius (corn...@gold.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
>: It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages
en
>: masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
>: applications that are easy to set up along this format. I see a lot
of
>: interlinking of databases and Web pages, but it is typically a
database
>: that is embedded in a Web page rather than many Web pages being
housed in
>: a database. Does anyone have any insight on this.

Progress' WebSpeed product does this as well.

http://webspeed.progress.com

Geoff Crawford Phone: (201) 627 - 0307
Innovative Client Servers FAX: (201) 627 - 0634
24 Dogwood Drive Email: ge...@innov8cs.com
Denville NJ 07834 Web: http://www.innov8cs.com

John Fenner

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

Randy Jordan wrote:

> > Oracle's WebServer will allow you to write PL/SQL code to create dynamic
>
> This is great if you want to write Perl scripts into static html pages.
>
> Come try the SRI Sybernet cgi server This software is a way
> to connect your Web Servers to your Sybase SQL server with a minimum of
> effort. It allows stored procedures within the Sql server to produce
> dynamic http output.

Actually, that is exactly how the Oracle Web Server works. You can
write PL/SQL packages and procedures stored in the database which are
executed to produce the same dynamic http output.

This post is just to provide clarification, not preference. I've never
used the SRI server, so I can't comment on which one is easier.

John Fenner

Dean A. Richards

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

Randy Jordan wrote:

> This is great if you want to write Perl scripts into static html pages.

No, there is no need for Perl scripts. If you read my message it said
you can use Oracle's Webserver product and write PL/SQL procedures to
create dynamic html pages. No Perl, not static.

> Come try the SRI Sybernet cgi server This software is a way
> to connect your Web Servers to your Sybase SQL server with a minimum of
> effort. It allows stored procedures within the Sql server to produce
> dynamic http output.

This is exactly the approach Oracle has taken as well.

Randy Jordan

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

> > Come try the SRI Sybernet cgi server This software is a way
> > to connect your Web Servers to your Sybase SQL server with a minimum of
> > effort. It allows stored procedures within the Sql server to produce
> > dynamic http output.
> >

> This is exactly the approach Oracle has taken as well.

Does is only cost 50$ as shareware?

TalentSoft Web+Master

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96
to corn...@gold.tc.umn.edu, dshe...@iwaynet.net, jfe...@erols.com, ge...@innov8cs.com

If you want an easy to learn, easy to use, powerful, flexible,
multi-platform web to database integration tool, you should definitely
try out TalentSoft's Web+ (http://www.talentsoft.com).

TalentSoft Web+ is a powerful web-based application development tool for
database integration, file i/o, CGI generation, Java integration, and
email integration. It is a development tool dedicated for creating
web-based client-server applications without writing low-level CGI
programs.

Web+ enables rapid/easy creation of highly functional web pages which
integrates with databases, file systems, email, and your legacy
applications. Developing web-based applications using Web+ eliminates
the need for CGI programming in a traditional programming language like
Perl, C/C++, Visual Basic, or Delphi.

Web+ applications are written in a high-level Web+ Markup Language
(WML), which is a combination of the standard HTML tags and the standard
Basic Programming Language. Anyone who is familiar with HTML and Visual
Basic programming will be able to develop web-based applications using
WML in less than an hour.

Web+ includes the following main features:

* Database integration - Web+ acts as a gateway between the web server
and the database server. It uses the Open Database Connectivity (ODBC)
interface to access a wide variety of databases. Web+ supports SQL
processing (select/insert/update/delete), calling stored procedures,
transaction processing (commit, rollback), and database security
control.

* Java integration - by combining Java applets in the front-end
(browser) and the integration power of Web+ server, you can create
highly interactive web-based applications.

* Email integration - Web+ provides SMTP email integration which
enables the easy creation of message-based workflow applications for the
Internet and intranet.

* Application integration - Web+ supports the calling of other
executable programs and the transfer of input and output parameters.
This means that Web+ acts as a front-end and easily integrates with your
existing legacy applications.

* Powerful Basic-like scripting language - Web+ adopts most of its
syntax from the highly popular Basic programming language and the HTML
formatting style. The result is a powerful and easy-to-use Web+ Markup
Language dedicated to web-based application programming.

* Web+ supports both CGI and ISAPI standards.

* Web+ currently runs on Window NT, Windows 95, Linux, Solaris, and
will soon be available on MacOS and other Unix platforms.

For more information, contact:
TalentSoft - Talent Information Management, LLC.
Headquarters: 900 Nicollet Mall Suite 700, Minneapolis, MN 55402,
USA.
Mailing Address: PO Box 2997, Minneapolis, MN 55402-0997, USA.
Telephone: (612) 338-8900
Fax: (612) 904-0010
E-mail: In...@TalentSoft.Com
Web: http://www.talentinfo.com

>(Bruce G Cornelius (corn...@gold.tc.umn.edu)) wrote:
>: It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
>: masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
>: applications that are easy to set up along this format. I see a lot of
>: interlinking of databases and Web pages, but it is typically a database
>: that is embedded in a Web page rather than many Web pages being housed in
>: a database. Does anyone have any insight on this.

>: Thanks in advance.

Hugh Pyle

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

Bruce G Cornelius (corn...@gold.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
> : It seems like a database format would be an easy way create Web pages en
> : masse -- just enter some data and click a few buttons. Are there any
> : applications that are easy to set up along this format. I see a lot of
> : interlinking of databases and Web pages, but it is typically a database
> : that is embedded in a Web page rather than many Web pages being housed in
> : a database. Does anyone have any insight on this.

IMHO a great database for Web pages is Lotus Notes. You can connect
Notes databases to the Web (real time, interactively, securely, no CGI)
using Domino (http://domino.lotus.com) which makes for a really powerful
Web application development environment.

------------: Collaborative publishing tools for the Web :------------
Hugh Pyle Email: hu...@groupsoft.co.uk
Groupsoft Ltd. Work Phone: +44 1344 780878
http://www.groupsoft.co.uk/ Work Fax: +44 1344 772510