DBMS Benchmark code ? Who's fastest ?

Orri Erling

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96

Does anybody have implementations of the TPC or other DBMS
benchmarks on the ODBC API ?

An implementation of those benchmarks on Oracle’s dynamic SQL
API would also be of interest.

The TPC documents do have sample implementations in C and
embedded SQL but that is not likely to be the
code actually used in performing the measurements.

We have a new ORDBMS called Kubl that we would like to
benchmark against the relational performance
leaders. You are welcome to check out www.infosto.fi/kubl for
information on the new contender.

--
Orri Erling

Akmal B Chaudhri

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
On 11 Apr 1996, Orri Erling wrote:

>=20
>=20
>=20
> Does anybody have implementations of the TPC or other DBMS=20

> benchmarks on the ODBC API ?

>=20
> An implementation of those benchmarks on Oracle=92s dynamic SQL=20
> API would also be of interest.=20
>=20
> The TPC documents do have sample implementations in C and=20
> embedded SQL but that is not likely to be the=20

> code actually used in performing the measurements.

>=20
> We have a new ORDBMS called Kubl that we would like to=20
> benchmark against the relational performance=20
> leaders. You are welcome to check out www.infosto.fi/kubl for=20
> information on the new contender.=20
>=20
>=20
> --
> Orri Erling
>=20
>=20
>=20

Orri,

There was some empirical work done here at City U a few years ago which
showed that the TPC Benchmarks are not representative of OLTP. The City
Benchmark is based on the observations of 40 million transactions (160
actually collected), 4800 discrete applications and 5000 Relational
tables. The work was part of the PhD Thesis of Dr. Wagdy Youssef. I can
send you the benchmark source code (which is commented) + a couple of
papers which describe its use in performance measurement. There is no
documentation per se, but if you understand database performance, then you
will have no trouble using it.=20

Regards,

=09Akmal.

_ ___________________________________
//)| |
/ / | http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/ |
_( (_ | mailto:ak...@sarc.city.ac.uk |
(((\ \>|_/()_______________________________|
(\\\\ \_/ /
\ /
\ _/ "If I hear the phrase 'everything is an object' once more,
/ / I think I will scream."
/___/ - Mike Stonebraker (1988)

tang doris

Oct 4, 2020, 3:26:11 AM10/4/20
Orri Erling 在 1996年4月11日 星期四下午3:00:00 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:
> Does anybody have implementations of the TPC or other DBMS
> benchmarks on the ODBC API ?
> An implementation of those benchmarks on Oracle’s dynamic SQL
> API would also be of interest.
> The TPC documents do have sample implementations in C and
> embedded SQL but that is not likely to be the
> code actually used in performing the measurements.
> We have a new ORDBMS called Kubl that we would like to
> benchmark against the relational performance
> leaders. You are welcome to check out www.infosto.fi/kubl for
> information on the new contender.
>
> --
> Orri Erling