Comparison between One$DB & Derby

Raga

May 31, 2006, 10:03:49 AM5/31/06

Can anyone give the comaprison between One$DB & Derby ? Which of the 2
is better?

Thanks,
Raaga

David Segall

May 31, 2006, 11:01:47 AM5/31/06
"Raga" <raa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can anyone give the comaprison between One$DB & Derby ? Which of the 2
>is better?

The One$DB web site has some links to feature comparisons. The only
feature I can add is that Derby has the backing of both IBM
<http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/> and Sun
<http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javadb/overview/product_tour/index.jsp>

Raga

Jun 1, 2006, 2:35:05 AM6/1/06
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I did the comparison on One$DB site. But I didnt
wanna take that as the final thing bcos naturally when One$DB guys post
it, it'll be biased towards One$DB. So, I wanted to get a view from the
database users...hence, this post. Have you tried both of them. Which
one is better? Can you suggest?

Thanks,
Raga

David Segall

Jun 1, 2006, 9:38:01 AM6/1/06
"Raga" <raa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi David,
>
>Thanks for your reply. I did the comparison on One$DB site. But I didnt
>wanna take that as the final thing bcos naturally when One$DB guys post
>it, it'll be biased towards One$DB. So, I wanted to get a view from the
>database users...hence, this post. Have you tried both of them. Which
>one is better? Can you suggest?

I'm sorry, I can't really help with a comparison. I settled on Derby
when I found Cloudscape on the IBM site. I reasoned that if Apache was
responsible for development and IBM offered paid support then any
problems would be fixed. The fact that Sun also now offer paid support
gives me further confidence.

I did check One$DB for the two problems I have encountered with Derby.
There is no CROSS JOIN in Derby but it does exist in One$DB. The ODBC
support in Derby uses IBM's DB2 driver and I had some difficulty
implementing it <http://profectus.com.au/ee_cloudscape.html>. The ODBC
documentation for One$DB seems more polished.