Xenix FoxBase to FoxPro

Glenn Engelbart

Aug 25, 1994, 12:32:05 PM8/25/94
We have a new client who has the majority of thier applications written
in FoxBase in a Xenix environment. Currently, we plan on doing most of
our development in Visual Basic as a front end to MS SQL Server. Does it
make more sense for us to rewrite everything in VB, or is it much easier
to just port all their FoxBase stuff to FoxPro for Windows? What kinds of
things will we need to look out for if we do port to Fox(2.5/2.6) for
Windows?

Also I am wondering about our decision to go with VB over Fox. What real
advantages does client/server offer us over Fox. I know that client server
allows you to send just those records that you SELECT over the network. I
can hardly believe that Fox would send entire tables over the network. So
the only real advantage I can see is easier transaction rollback, and
just the data dictionary issue. Yet I thought I heard rumors that Fox 3.0
will have a data dictionary.

Thanks,
Glenn Engelbart sibe...@execpc.com