Where is everybody?

1 view

Marshall

Apr 9, 2007, 2:16:33 PM4/9/07
Hey, where is everybody? Nobody's posting. What's up with that?

Marshall

Bob Badour

Apr 9, 2007, 3:31:56 PM4/9/07
Marshall wrote:

> Hey, where is everybody? Nobody's posting. What's up with that?

Dunno, but I kinda noticed the same thing.

I mean to reply to your post about MERGE with some specific objections,
but I have been too busy to give it the deliberation it deserves.

I just assumed folks were off doing Easter things with their families --
you know those people one sometimes sees when one turns away from the
keyboard...

David Cressey

Apr 9, 2007, 8:58:38 PM4/9/07

"Marshall" <marshal...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hey, where is everybody? Nobody's posting. What's up with that?
>

> Marshall

I was out of touch for a few days, but I'm back!

Keith H Duggar

Apr 10, 2007, 9:39:13 PM4/10/07
On Apr 9, 2:16?| pm, "Marshall" <marshall.spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, where is everybody? Nobody's posting. What's up with that?

I've been trying to formulate a query about the development and
history
of flat text files and associated tools. However, I felt I should
first
find out what I could from the web first and haven't had the time to
do
a thorough search. Also, I've been wrestling with whether such a topic
is topical here and recently been leaning towards "no".

Keith -- Fraud 6

Bob Badour

Apr 10, 2007, 10:01:04 PM4/10/07
Keith H Duggar wrote:

If you want to learn about the history and development of flat files, I
suggest you start somewhere around:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_computing_hardware

Aloha Kakuikanu

Apr 11, 2007, 6:19:55 PM4/11/07
On Apr 9, 10:16 am, "Marshall" <marshall.spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, where is everybody? Nobody's posting. What's up with that?

One suggestion to bring this board back to life is posting weekly
reviews or just references to some great articles. I assume a week is
reasonable timeframe for everyone to find something interesting.

Here we go: Eric Hehner "From Boolean Algebra to Unified Algebra".

One of the main article themes is the importance of notation. In
particular on p.7 in the section on Symmetry and Duality Eric argues
that /\ and \/ symbols are well chosen, while & and || are not!

Next, implication is a partial order relation -- couldn't agree more.

Then, there is a controversial theory of bunches. A set stripped of
the boxing (err, packaging) models a nondeterminism, wow!

Matthias Klaey

Apr 11, 2007, 7:45:57 PM4/11/07
"Aloha Kakuikanu" <aloha.k...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Apr 9, 10:16 am, "Marshall" <marshall.spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey, where is everybody? Nobody's posting. What's up with that?
>
>One suggestion to bring this board back to life is posting weekly
>reviews or just references to some great articles. I assume a week is
>reasonable timeframe for everyone to find something interesting.
>
>Here we go: Eric Hehner "From Boolean Algebra to Unified Algebra".
>
>One of the main article themes is the importance of notation. In
>particular on p.7 in the section on Symmetry and Duality Eric argues
>that /\ and \/ symbols are well chosen, while & and || are not!
>
>Next, implication is a partial order relation -- couldn't agree more.

[...]

now that's some news... ;-)

I would reccomend "George Boole, The laws of thought" 1854, plus one
and a half century of follow up work on logic and (partial) order
structures.

(sorry I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me that the corpus of
mathematics that underlies database theory is still very much
underappreciated, even here.)

With kind regards
Matthias Kläy
--
www.kcc.ch

Marshall

Apr 15, 2007, 1:36:16 PM4/15/07
On Apr 11, 4:45 pm, Matthias Klaey <m...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> (sorry I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me that the corpus of
> mathematics that underlies database theory is still very much
> underappreciated, even here.)

Most of the people here are working software engineers.
I would say that an underappreciation of underlying
mathematics is endemic. I suspect that the contributions
of software engineering are underappreciated in the
mathematical community. We generally have to tackle
much larger, more complex, less well defined problems
than they do, under more stringent computational conditions.
Nonetheless there are those such as Aloha who seek to
bridge the gap. The reference to further reading is helpful;
the ironic comment less so.

Marshall

Marshall

Apr 15, 2007, 5:05:11 PM4/15/07
On Apr 11, 3:19 pm, "Aloha Kakuikanu" <aloha.kakuik...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> One suggestion to bring this board back to life is posting weekly
> reviews or just references to some great articles. I assume a week is
> reasonable timeframe for everyone to find something interesting.
>
> Here we go: Eric Hehner "From Boolean Algebra to Unified Algebra".

Link:

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~hehner/BAUA.pdf

Have read about 9 pages so far; love it. Commentary later.

Marshall

Bob Badour

Apr 16, 2007, 9:34:41 AM4/16/07
Marshall wrote:

I know you and I probably disagree. I don't find the ironic comment
unhelpful either. In fact, I quietly agreed with Matthias. I agree I
don't have sufficient appreciation for the mathematics.

Of the regular denizens of the newsgroup, I suggest only Jan and Vadim
showed up here with any true appreciation, and that appreciation has
only rubbed off on you.

Aloha Kakuikanu

Apr 16, 2007, 1:13:50 PM4/16/07
On Apr 11, 4:45 pm, Matthias Klaey <m...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Aloha Kakuikanu" <aloha.kakuik...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Apr 9, 10:16 am, "Marshall" <marshall.spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hey, where is everybody? Nobody's posting. What's up with that?
>
> >One suggestion to bring this board back to life is posting weekly
> >reviews or just references to some great articles. I assume a week is
> >reasonable timeframe for everyone to find something interesting.
>
> >Here we go: Eric Hehner "From Boolean Algebra to Unified Algebra".
>
> >One of the main article themes is the importance of notation. In
> >particular on p.7 in the section on Symmetry and Duality Eric argues
> >that /\ and \/ symbols are well chosen, while & and || are not!
>
> >Next, implication is a partial order relation -- couldn't agree more.
>
> [...]
>
> now that's some news... ;-)
>
> I would reccomend "George Boole, The laws of thought" 1854,

Can I just skip "The laws of thought" and glance over introductory
logic textbook?
The pioneer work isn't always elegantly written, and is often burdened
by
obsolete notation.

I'm not sure what caused your reaction -- was it that Eric's paper too
ambitious,
or too accessible?

> plus one
> and a half century of follow up work on logic and (partial) order
> structures.

Which ones? Those that are introducing 3 different implication
symbols? After
reading Eric's manuscript I understand why I always disliked those
division-like
implication symbols.

> (sorry I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me that the corpus of
> mathematics that underlies database theory is still very much
> underappreciated, even here.)

I'm not sure what underappreciation are you referring to. IMHO, the
database
theory is overfocused on logic and set theory, both of which are only
insignificant part
of contemporary mathematics. (I counted one topic out of 31 at
www.arxive.org). Therefore, yes -- vast majority of mathematics is not
touched by database theory -- but is it really what you wanted to say?

Bob Badour

Apr 16, 2007, 1:28:55 PM4/16/07
Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:

> On Apr 11, 4:45 pm, Matthias Klaey <m...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Aloha Kakuikanu" <aloha.kakuik...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Apr 9, 10:16 am, "Marshall" <marshall.spi...@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>(I counted one topic out of 31 at
> www.arxive.org). Therefore, yes -- vast majority of mathematics is not
> touched by database theory -- but is it really what you wanted to say?

Was there a typo in the domain given? I didn't think 'cameltoe' was a
branch of mathematics.

Aloha Kakuikanu

Apr 16, 2007, 3:08:54 PM4/16/07

Oops: arXiv

Marshall

Apr 16, 2007, 4:06:42 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 10:28 am, Bob Badour <bbad...@pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:
>
> > (I counted one topic out of 31 at
> > www.[snipped to protect the innocent].org). Therefore, yes -- vast

> > majority of mathematics is not
> > touched by database theory -- but is it really what you wanted to say?
>
> Was there a typo in the domain given? I didn't think 'cameltoe' was a
> branch of mathematics.

OH DEAR GOD MY EYES!

Marshall

PS. I encourage everyone *not* to click on any of the links at the
bottom of
the page in the omitted domain.

Marshall

Apr 16, 2007, 4:48:19 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 10:13 am, "Aloha Kakuikanu" <aloha.kakuik...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> IMHO, the database
> theory is overfocused on logic and set theory, both of which are only
> insignificant part of contemporary mathematics. (I counted one topic
> out of 31 atwww.arxive.org). Therefore, yes -- vast majority of mathematics
> is not touched by database theory [...]

What other areas of mathematics do you see as most relevant?
Lattice theory? Order theory?

Marshall

Bob Badour

Apr 16, 2007, 10:01:54 PM4/16/07
Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:

Thanks Aloha, that is a very interesting and thought-provoking paper.