Email

Robert Uiterwyk

Aug 11, 2002, 11:01:02 AM8/11/02
Richard,

There is a nifty public domain NT utility called Blat that will do
exactly what you want. http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/blat.html I
have been using this for the past 5 years with MvBase.

I have a small subroutine that I use in MvBase to execute this
utility. Of cource, you must have Blat installed on your MvBase
server. This particular version allows you to send an attachment
created with UWRITE. (Don't forget to UCLOSE it) ;-).

SUBROUTINE SEND.MAIL.ATTACH(ADDRESSEE,SUBJECT,MESSAGE,ATT.FILENAME,SENDER)
*THIS SUBROUTINE USES THE COMMAND LINE EXECUTABLE "BLAT" TO SEND
A MESSAGE TO
*A "POP3" ACCOUNT IN MVBASE. THE SENDER IS "Mvb...@eisers.com",
UNLESS
* THE SENDER FIELD HAS A @ SYMBOL IN ITS BODY. THE MESSAGE IS
*IS A DYNAMIC ARRAY OF LINES. SEE "BLAT" IN WINDOWS NT FOR
DOCUMENTATION
* (RHU) 09/97
PORT = SYSTEM(18)
FILENAME = "C:\TEMP\$":PORT:TIME();* CREATE A UNIQUE (WELL,ALMOST)
TEMP FILE
UCREATE FILENAME TO NT.FILE ELSE STOP 204,FILENAME
FOR I = 1 TO DCOUNT(MESSAGE,@AM)
UWRITE MESSAGE<I>:CHAR(13):CHAR(10) ON NT.FILE ELSE NULL
NEXT I
UCLOSE NT.FILE ELSE RETURN
XLINE = \BLAT.EXE \:FILENAME:\ -s "\:SUBJECT:\" -t \:ADDRESSEE:\ -noh
-q\
IF TRIM(ATT.FILENAME) # "" THEN
XLINE = XLINE:" -attach ":ATT.FILENAME
END
IF INDEX(SENDER,"@",1) THEN
XLINE = XLINE:" -i ":SENDER
END
UEXECUTE XLINE RETURNING TEST
UWAITFOR TEST,10 THEN
UDELETE FILENAME THEN RETURN
END ELSE
DISPLAY @(10,10):"Message was not sent"
UDELETE FILENAME THEN RETURN
END
RETURN

If you need me to send this to you in a text file, email me.
HTH,
Robert Uiterwyk
robert (at) uiterwyk(nospam) (dot) net (remove all the parentesis)

Richard Kann <h...@comp-ware.net> wrote in message news:<3D53D6E9...@comp-ware.net>...
> Has anyone out there tried creating and sending email from MvBase? Is it
> possible to do so and send attachments automatically? I can create the
> attachments by the UWRITE command, but I have no idea how to put them in
> an email and send them without user intervention.

Richard Kann

Aug 11, 2002, 3:11:58 PM8/11/02
Robert,

Thanks! I will give it a try. Does it work on 2000 and XP?

Richard

Richard Kann

Aug 11, 2002, 3:12:22 PM8/11/02
Robert,

Thanks! I will give it a try. Does it work on 2000 and XP?

Richard

Stuart Whitman

Aug 13, 2002, 7:08:33 PM8/13/02
Richard,

I've just installed Blat on our w2k servers with mvbase and worked
fine. Just follow the instructions :-) Only wish everything in life
was this simple...

Richard Kann

Aug 14, 2002, 9:06:08 AM8/14/02
Great, I will try it.

Thanks

Craig

Aug 16, 2002, 5:04:53 AM8/16/02
I have a mvBASE subroutine to actually create a VBS script for sending
emails using MS Outlook. If you are interested in having a look!

Craig

Mike Preece

Aug 16, 2002, 6:50:02 AM8/16/02
MAKE LOADS OF DOSH!!!

READ THIS POST TO THE END... blah blah...

No - really. Because Pick is very good at handling strings and stores
data as variable length (dosen't waste any space) and can access data
via hashed reads and... and...

Wouldn't it be a good idea to write a browser-based front-end for a
web mail service with Pick as the underlying database. I'm thinking it
would be a piece of cake to allow searches on saved emails for
phrases, words and substrings (allowing use of "^" wildcards). You
could get very sophisticated very easily. If you could provide a web
mail service that's best-of-breed you might well make a buck or two.
Oh - put the multivalue icon on the site? - there's a good chap.

Mike.

Dave Johnstone

Aug 18, 2002, 5:27:29 PM8/18/02
Have a look at PixieRobot which is used to send MV data via email
attachments, to a remote server. http://www.pixieware.com/databyemail.htm

Thanks
Sincerely,
Dave Johnstone, Pixieware Software.
Visit http://www.pixieware.com/marcomscreen.htm to view
"The technology to revitalise your text-based host apps."