The True Story of the Hanging Dick

Jon Sisk

Jul 5, 2007, 5:18:51 PM7/5/07
Several months ago there was a thread regarding the story behind Dick
Pick and his cover page photo showing him hanging upside down.

Today, while packing up my massive Pick press/media/clipping
collection for deep, long term storage in anticipation of the day
someone will want to digitize it for the historians, I happened upon
the article in question and posted it on my site for posterity:

http://jes.com/gfx/people/csn_1983_11_28_antigrav_dick_001.jpg

That same article had another photo of him in a typical pose:

http://jes.com/gfx/people/csn_1983_11_28_antigrav_dick_002.jpg

And as an added bonus, I also posted this cover article with a Montage
of Dicks:

http://jes.com/gfx/people/csn_dp_1986.jpg

Note the column one articles on this final picture for you students of
irony.

If you should choose to include any of these images in any books,
blogs, articles, etc., please remember to credit the source.

This article should play hell with the moral police filters. =)

Best regards,

Jon Sisk
jes.com

dawn

Jul 5, 2007, 7:41:42 PM7/5/07
On Jul 5, 4:18 pm, Jon Sisk <j...@jes.com> wrote:
> Several months ago there was a thread regarding the story behind Dick
> Pick and his cover page photo showing him hanging upside down.
>
> Today, while packing up my massive Pick press/media/clipping
> collection for deep, long term storage in anticipation of the day
> someone will want to digitize it for the historians, I happened upon
> the article in question and posted it on my site for posterity:
>
> http://jes.com/gfx/people/csn_1983_11_28_antigrav_dick_001.jpg

Fantastic! I think I told you that I drove 3 hours to the University
of Michigan library in 2002 looking for this picture and did not get
far enough, although there were several folks, you included, who said
you had it. I'm pleased as punch to finally see it.

> That same article had another photo of him in a typical pose:
>
> http://jes.com/gfx/people/csn_1983_11_28_antigrav_dick_002.jpg
>
> And as an added bonus, I also posted this cover article with a Montage
> of Dicks:
>
> http://jes.com/gfx/people/csn_dp_1986.jpg
>
> Note the column one articles on this final picture for you students of
> irony.

delightful

> If you should choose to include any of these images in any books,
> blogs, articles, etc., please remember to credit the source.

By that, I am thinking that both the original publication name, date,
etc plus jes.com should be credited if I were to, for example, crop
the picture of Dick Pick upside down and use it on a web page?

> This article should play hell with the moral police filters. =)

I recall that researching Dick Pick was more of an education for me
than I was counting on. I didn't even know this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick's_Picks_Volume_33 before I started
the research, much less some of the other pages I should not have
clicked on. cheers! --dawn

Peter McMurray

Jul 6, 2007, 1:35:00 AM7/6/07
Thanks Jon.
I well remember that it seemed that the only way to get something printed
in those days (has it changed today?) was to write the copy and present it
to the "journalist" with a bottle of scotch after you had bought lunch. In
which case Dick must have approved it.

Dawn you do delve in strange places :-)
Peter McMurray
"dawn" <dawnwo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thiot

Jul 6, 2007, 7:02:25 PM7/6/07
On Jul 5, 4:18 pm, Jon Sisk <j...@jes.com> wrote:
> Several months ago there was a thread regarding the story behind Dick
> Pick and his cover page photo showing him hanging upside down.
>
> Today, while packing up my massive Pick press/media/clipping
> collection for deep, long term storage in anticipation of the day
> someone will want to digitize it for the historians, I happened upon
> the article in question and posted it on my site for posterity:
>
> http://jes.com/gfx/people/csn_1983_11_28_antigrav_dick_001.jpg
>
> That same article had another photo of him in a typical pose:
>
> http://jes.com/gfx/people/csn_1983_11_28_antigrav_dick_002.jpg

Interesting... The article mentions Pick R84 with multiple ABS so
that
Pick could host other operating sytsems. Who remembers R84? Anybody
know what became of R84? That wasn't what became Open Architecture
then
Advanced Pick, was it? I guess it lead to those things.

Dick