ORACLE: I'm MAD AS HELL and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Tony Jambu

Mar 15, 1993, 8:48:56 PM3/15/93

The following post was found in the COMP.DATABASES newsgroup and I thought
that
most of you could relate to this guy's frustration. I am hoping that someone
from Oracle Corp. with authority can do something about Oracle's installation
procedures.

First impression tends to last a LONG LONG time!!!
Good product. Bad Distribution.

--
_____ ________ / ____ |Tony Jambu, Database Administrator
/_ __ /_ __ / |Colonial Mutual Invest Mgmt,Aust (ACN 004021809)

Harry Skelton

Mar 16, 1993, 10:48:46 AM3/16/93
It seems that as good as the product 'Oracle' is, that they can't build the
same into their installation scripts. This was my view untill about a day
ago.

It seems that Orcle can't even manage their own database. :) I have had
nothing but problems with them forgetting who we are, even when we have paid
$$$'s for support! In addition, it seems that thier support for the Sequent
is forever having problems. "HIRE SOME TCP/IP GUYS ORACLE!!"

SQL*NET is forever bombing on the Sequent. One of those "Yeah, we know it
doesn't work but we decided not to tell anyone." issues.

Add to this the giant attitude of "We're Oracle. If you don't like the way we
handle things we can always take your license back." We actually had a sales
rep tell us this once. Needless to say we found another sales rep (out of our
state) that could handle the issues for us. But I hear horror stories of
others that deal with ORACLE and how they are casually pushed aside.

My List of things for them to fix:

o Fix SQL*NET/orasrv on the Sequent. Keep it from hanging and making unwanted
deamons

o Fix it's memory allocations!!! Each orasrv process is consuming 35Megs of
dataspace. You can do better memory handling than that!! The answer is not to
keep everything in memory but rather good logic programming and smart
handling of the database!! *SHEESH* (times that about 50+ users!!! *sigh*)

It's technical support and development of a product like this that makes
programming in Basic not such a bad idea afterall. :) :)
--
Harry Skelton
United Systems Security Enterprise - USS Enterprise

Joel Garry

Mar 17, 1993, 12:29:13 PM3/17/93
zo...@netcom.com (Harry Skelton) writes:

> It seems that Orcle can't even manage their own database. :) I have had
> nothing but problems with them forgetting who we are, even when we have paid
> $$$'s for support! In addition, it seems that thier support for the Sequent
> is forever having problems. "HIRE SOME TCP/IP GUYS ORACLE!!"

Funny, they've done that to us every year for the past three years. One
can't help but wonder if they do it on purpose to cut staff cost
requirements in support.

--
"See your System Administrator?" I *AM* the #%@!?& System Administrator!

INTERNET: tumi...@netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry)
UUCP: ...!ryptyde!netlink!tumidity

Allen Pippin

Mar 17, 1993, 4:02:08 PM3/17/93
Re: ORACLE: I'm MAD AS HELL and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Oracle's distributions have not been a serious problem in our
environment. We use both BSD and SVR4 based UNIX's and for
the most part, we have had very few problems with distributions.

But...... for the last few releases, say 6.0.33 through 6.0.36, we've
been bypassing the load programs and going directly to the tape
to get our distributions; it not to hard, the distributions are in a
very simple format and familiarity with the product and its
distribution makes this easy for us.

Take heart though, it is rumored that the ORACLE7 installer is
*much* *more* user friendly. I am looking forward to seeing that
in any software distribution tool.

jhs

Mar 22, 1993, 5:44:24 PM3/22/93

|>o Fix it's memory allocations!!! Each orasrv process is consuming 35Megs of
|>dataspace. You can do better memory handling than that!! The answer is not to
|>keep everything in memory but rather good logic programming and smart
|>handling of the database!! *SHEESH* (times that about 50+ users!!! *sigh*)

The memory problem sounds like you have an init.ora parameter set too
high (context size?).

john