Schema diff tool??

Joan Armstrong

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99

Hello,

I am new to Oracle (but an experienced DBA with another RDBMS). Is
there a tool or script to compare two Oracle schemas? I need to
compare the production system with the development system, and will
write perl if necessary but there must already be something out there.

Thanks in advance,
--Joan Armstrong

--
Joan Armstrong joan_ar...@hp.com Hewlett Packard, Vancouver, WA. USA
U-CD Copper Canyon's Belle Starr CDX TD STDds PT JHD AX AXJ EAC EGC EJC RS-E

David F. Newman

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
jo...@vcd.hp.com (Joan Armstrong) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Oracle (but an experienced DBA with another RDBMS). Is
> there a tool or script to compare two Oracle schemas? I need to
> compare the production system with the development system, and will
> write perl if necessary but there must already be something out there.

toad (Tool for Oracle Application Developers) http://www.quests.com
has a compare schema option. It works fairly well with small schemas.
I've been having trouble lately with very large schemas i.e. thousands
of objects.

--
David F. Newman
Oracle DBA

Leo Albers

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
In addition to David's answer: A freeware version of TOAD (with less options
than the commercial version) can be found on http://www.toadsoft.com
It expires every 2 month...but don't worry, a new version will be available
for download...in time !

Regards,
Leo Albers

David F. Newman <buzz...@damocles.ourvillage.com> wrote in message

rspe...@my-deja.com

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Quest software has a tool called Schema Manager. I've just started
evaluating it, but the propoganda the put out on it sounds good. You
should be able to get a trial version at http://www.quest.com

HTH

In article <7oa41i$eia$1...@news.vcd.hp.com>,

jo...@vcd.hp.com (Joan Armstrong) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Oracle (but an experienced DBA with another RDBMS). Is
> there a tool or script to compare two Oracle schemas? I need to
> compare the production system with the development system, and will
> write perl if necessary but there must already be something out there.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> --Joan Armstrong
>
> --
> Joan Armstrong joan_ar...@hp.com Hewlett Packard, Vancouver, WA.
USA
> U-CD Copper Canyon's Belle Starr CDX TD STDds PT JHD AX AXJ EAC EGC
EJC RS-E
> JS-O GS-N CGC ASCA-TD; Wind Dance Nick of Time CD TD NA NAJ OAC EGC
OJC RS-N
> JS-N GS-N ASCA-TD **************** In memory: Zoie wonder dog
***************

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Eric Allen

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
> > I am new to Oracle (but an experienced DBA with another RDBMS). Is
> > there a tool or script to compare two Oracle schemas? I need to
> > compare the production system with the development system, and will
> > write perl if necessary but there must already be something out there.

Try Schema Manager (again, a Quest product). There's a trial version, I
think it's a time limit.
http://www.quest.com/schema_manager