Tom kyte's New book

Stan

Sep 11, 2003, 12:03:15 AM9/11/03
Tom kyte's new book 'Effective Oracle by Design' is finally out. i just
got my copy today. Though some topics reminds me of his previous book
but there is lots of 9i stuffs from an administration standpoint.

back to reading :)
-Stan

Daniel Morgan

Sep 11, 2003, 12:31:42 AM9/11/03
Stan wrote:

Thanks for the head's up. I'll be ordering my copy tomorrow
--

Daniel Morgan
damo...@x.washington.edu

Thomas T

Sep 11, 2003, 5:07:34 PM9/11/03
"Stan" <stan...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Thanks for the information! Is "Expert One-on-One Oracle" still a current
book (for 8i)? After recently finding out that there's a million Oracle
tuning myths out there, I'd like to get a book that will actually help me.
I'll buy both of these guys if that's the best bet. Does the 1-on-1 book
cover 9i, also?

Is Oracle Performance Tuning 101 worth anything? It seems as if the book
was written to argue against the myths, but I'd like a second opinion.

Any other no-myth-all-reality books I should know about?

Thanks!!

-Thomas

Joel Garry

Sep 11, 2003, 6:39:25 PM9/11/03
Daniel Morgan <damo...@exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<1063254682.847358@yasure>...

> Stan wrote:
>
> > Tom kyte's new book 'Effective Oracle by Design' is finally out. i
> > just got my copy today. Though some topics reminds me of his previous
> > book but there is lots of 9i stuffs from an administration standpoint.
> >
> > back to reading :)
> > -Stan
> >
> Thanks for the head's up. I'll be ordering my copy tomorrow

Laugh of the Day:

Tom's book bundled with Don Burleson's book on Amazon.com! (Don's
book appears to have two authors, Don Burleson and Donald K.
Burleson...) And it is cheaper to buy them separately... except you
have to pay shipping... hmmm, a new Milsap book?

I'm sure whomever came up with that bun[dg]ling idea must follow this
newsgroup :-)

Not to mention the "used copies" of Tom's book...

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
More books! Wasn't this supposed to be a paperless society?

Daniel Morgan

Sep 11, 2003, 9:17:07 PM9/11/03
I agree. I think someone at Amazon wasn't. Now to phone a friend of mine down there and give him the bad news.  ;-)

Howard J. Rogers

Sep 11, 2003, 10:32:35 PM9/11/03
Joel Garry wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damo...@exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
>> Stan wrote:
>>
>> > Tom kyte's new book 'Effective Oracle by Design' is finally out. i
>> > just got my copy today. Though some topics reminds me of his previous
>> > book but there is lots of 9i stuffs from an administration standpoint.
>> >
>> > back to reading :)
>> > -Stan
>> >
>> Thanks for the head's up. I'll be ordering my copy tomorrow
>
> Laugh of the Day:
>
> Tom's book bundled with Don Burleson's book on Amazon.com!

Careful Joel.

You'll have to hiring lawyers next.

;-)
HJR

Stan

Sep 11, 2003, 10:54:20 PM9/11/03
> Thanks for the information! Is "Expert One-on-One Oracle" still a current
> book (for 8i)?

yes, but certain fundamental concepts would still apply to 9i.

After recently finding out that there's a million Oracle
> tuning myths out there, I'd like to get a book that will actually help me.
> I'll buy both of these guys if that's the best bet. Does the 1-on-1 book
> cover 9i, also?
>
> Is Oracle Performance Tuning 101 worth anything? It seems as if the book
> was written to argue against the myths, but I'd like a second opinion.

I don't have this so i can't speak for it.

> Any other no-myth-all-reality books I should know about?

well, the book that immediately springs to mind is 'practical oracle 8i'
by jonathan lewis. my all time favorite.

Daniel Morgan

Sep 11, 2003, 11:47:30 PM9/11/03
Its true Howard. It is really True. Go to amazon.com and check it out for yourself.

Also check out the offer of used copies of Tom's new book.

There ought to be a few red faces in Seattle tomorrow.

Jim Kennedy

Sep 12, 2003, 12:19:04 AM9/12/03
with family. Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign. You can figure
it out.

"Stan" <stan...@comcast.net> wrote in message
I agree Jonathan's book is excellent. I was able to get Tom to sign his new
book. Even though I dreaded paying that darn California sales tax, I wasn't
going to lug it from Oregon to California and back to save a couple of bucks
and have him sign it at Oracle World.
Jim

Norman Dunbar

Sep 12, 2003, 3:56:59 AM9/12/03
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:07:34 -0400, Thomas T wrote:

> Is Oracle Performance Tuning 101 worth anything? It seems as if the book
> was written to argue against the myths, but I'd like a second opinion.

Performance Tuning 101 by Vaidyanatha et al is excellent. I found one
small bug in the description of how an SQL command is parsed, but so far,
nothing else has lept out at me. It teaches tuning properly and NOT by the
use of assorted ratios - for example, buffer hit ratio - so beloved of
other tuning books.

> Any other no-myth-all-reality books I should know about?

As already mentioned, Jonathan Lewis' book.

I'd also recommend the 'Beginning Oracle Programming' by Sean Dillon, Tom
Kyte et al. Don't be mislead by the title as it covers the workings of
Oracle in great detail. Available soon/now from APress (www.apress.com) -
drop them an email if you don't see it on the web page. It was a Wrox
Press book but their parent company went belly up and APress now have it.

Cheers,
Norman.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.

Ryan Gaffuri

Sep 12, 2003, 8:24:57 AM9/12/03
"Norman Dunbar" <Nor...@RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.09.12....@RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>...

beginning oracle programming is NOT a true beginners book. I liked it,
but I really wish they would change the name. Alot of newbies will buy
the book and get totally confused. The chapters on PL/SQL are too
terse and complicated for someone who doesnt know pl/sql and if you
know pl/sql they dont teach you anything new.

Best parts of the book are howard rogers chapter on indexes,the
chapter on transactions, and the two case studies at the end. People
seem to over look the value of good case studies.

I noticed in oracle magazine that the guys who wrote Peformance Tuning
101 have a Wait Interface book out end of the year beginning of next
year. It will be the first 10G book I buy. Not only are they
informative, but they have a relaxed writing style that is easy to
follow.

Joel Garry

Sep 12, 2003, 7:51:26 PM9/12/03
Daniel Morgan <damo...@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1063338432.329104@yasure>...

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
> >Joel Garry wrote:
> >

> >>Daniel Morgan <damo...@exxesolutions.com> wrote in message

> >>Laugh of the Day:
> >>
> >>Tom's book bundled with Don Burleson's book on Amazon.com!
> >>

> >Careful Joel.
> >
> >You'll have to hiring lawyers next.

Hey, at least I didn't make any "strange bedfellows" jokes!

> >;-)
> >HJR
> >

> Its true Howard. It is really True. Go to amazon.com and check it out
> for yourself.
>
> Also check out the offer of used copies of Tom's new book.
>
> There ought to be a few red faces in Seattle tomorrow.

Hope Matt Swann gets a laugh, I doubt if out of the gazillion things
they have, anybody would even care.

Any public info anywhere on Amazon's configuration? I see hints on
technet about a 32 processor 2 node HP and something about Linux, but
no real details. I bet it is _so cool_.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.

"What in the world?" - PIL

Daniel Morgan

Sep 13, 2003, 1:49:09 AM9/13/03
Ah. Another friend of Matt's. They seem to be everywhere. I'm beginning to think the guy has a fan club. But why not ... he's brilliant.

Geomancer

Sep 13, 2003, 2:52:22 AM9/13/03
> Hope Matt Swann gets a laugh, I doubt if out of the gazillion things
> they have, anybody would even care.
>
> Any public info anywhere on Amazon's configuration? I see hints on
> technet about a 32 processor 2 node HP and something about Linux, but
> no real details. I bet it is _so cool_.

Jeremiah Wilton, the senior Oracle DBA at Amazon (and Oracle's DBA of
the year) did a presentation on it at OracleWorld a few years back.
Yeah, it is cool.

Their personalization engine (Oracle-based) compares book purchasing
patterns and pairs books with similar sales and demographic patterns.

Niall Litchfield

Sep 18, 2003, 5:55:22 PM9/18/03
"Thomas T" <T@T> wrote in message news:3f60...@rutgers.edu...

Perf Tuning 101 was the book I recommended for some considerable time, until
someone on this list (Brain P maybe) pointed out Christopher Lawson's "The
art and science of Oracle Performance Tuning" which IMO is even better. You
can do a lot lot worse than the 101 book though - these guys know Oracle.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Y. Gagnon

Sep 18, 2003, 8:59:58 PM9/18/03

I also love the 101 Performance Tuning book.

In the same way of thinking should be the new (just off the press) Cary Millsap
book "Optimizing Oracle Performance: a practitioner's Guide to Optimizing
Response Time" should also be great. Cary was previously the head of the
Oracle's Performance Group and has now its own bzns specializing in Oracle perf:
hotsos.

Yannick

Niall Litchfield

Sep 19, 2003, 4:21:46 AM9/19/03
"Niall Litchfield" <niall.li...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

> Perf Tuning 101 was the book I recommended for some considerable time,
until
> someone on this list (Brain P maybe)
Brain P? That should read Brian P.

Guido Konsolke

Sep 19, 2003, 7:14:17 AM9/19/03
"Niall Litchfield" <n-litc...@audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote...

> > Perf Tuning 101 was the book I recommended for some considerable
time,
> > until someone on this list (Brain P maybe)
> Brain P? That should read Brian P.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

Hi Niall,

although I don't know him I'm pretty sure
Brian liked the typo 8-)).

I surely would, too
(but no chance with such a name).

Greetings,
Guido

michael ngong

Sep 19, 2003, 9:42:53 AM9/19/03
"Niall Litchfield" <n-litc...@audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<3f6abc9a$0$259$ed9e...@reading.news.pipex.net>...

> "Niall Litchfield" <niall.li...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > Perf Tuning 101 was the book I recommended for some considerable time,
> until
> > someone on this list (Brain P maybe)
> Brain P? That should read Brian P.

Read a good recommendation from Niall L on BN about the Christopher
Lawson book after someone mentioned its existence on this forum.
Personally I loved it (and read from cover to cover).
Any one else read Cary Millsap optimizing Oracle performance

Michael Tubuo Ngong

Brian Peasland

Sep 19, 2003, 12:43:10 PM9/19/03
> although I don't know him I'm pretty sure
> Brian liked the typo 8-)).

Strangely....I've been getting that typo my entire life.......

I like the Chris Lawson book, but then I was one of the tech editors on
it too. It was a nice take on performance tuning.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba@remove_spam.peasland.com

the three"

Niall Litchfield

Sep 19, 2003, 4:05:38 PM9/19/03
"michael ngong" <mng...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'm 99.875% sure that will have been Amazon (.com or .co.uk) as I can't ever
recall visiting B&N but I do try to review books I have on Amazon. Cary's
book is on my wish list but I'll be paying for it if my family don't take
the hint.

Niall

Marc Blum

Sep 24, 2003, 2:58:27 PM9/24/03
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:55:22 +0100, "Niall Litchfield"
<niall.li...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>"Thomas T" <T@T> wrote in message news:3f60...@rutgers.edu...
>> "Stan" <stan...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Tom kyte's new book 'Effective Oracle by Design' is finally out. i just
>> > got my copy today. Though some topics reminds me of his previous book
>> > but there is lots of 9i stuffs from an administration standpoint.
>> >
>> > back to reading :)
>> > -Stan
>> >

>> Thanks for the information! Is "Expert One-on-One Oracle" still a current
>> book (for 8i)? After recently finding out that there's a million Oracle
>> tuning myths out there, I'd like to get a book that will actually help me.
>> I'll buy both of these guys if that's the best bet. Does the 1-on-1 book
>> cover 9i, also?
>>
>> Is Oracle Performance Tuning 101 worth anything? It seems as if the book
>> was written to argue against the myths, but I'd like a second opinion.
>
>Perf Tuning 101 was the book I recommended for some considerable time, until
>someone on this list (Brain P maybe) pointed out Christopher Lawson's "The
>art and science of Oracle Performance Tuning" which IMO is even better. You
>can do a lot lot worse than the 101 book though - these guys know Oracle.

Hey, thanx for the hint. Although Wrox went out of business, I found 1 used copy
via amazon.

-----------------------
Marc Blum
mailto:blum_W...@marcblum.de
http://www.marcblum.de

Brian Peasland

Sep 24, 2003, 4:31:41 PM9/24/03
Apress (http://www.apress.com) has picked this book up now that Wrox
declared bankruptcy and dropped the non-developer books from their
inventory.

HTH,
Brian

Galen Boyer

Sep 28, 2003, 10:50:19 PM9/28/03

I guess this means he'll be back answering questions here and on
his site...

--
Galen Boyer