What Kind of People go to OOW really ?

1 view

klabu

Oct 22, 2006, 3:57:26 PM10/22/06
Just curious, any NON-SELF-EMPLOYEED or Consultants here go to OOW at OWN
expense ?
I'm wondering if it's worth the money.

I've never been to one myself and my "impression" is that 90% there are
"management", salaried people
whose companies pay for he whole thing.

DA Morgan

Oct 22, 2006, 4:31:04 PM10/22/06

Definitely worth the money ... depending on what it is you are going for?

For the vast majority of people Tom Kyte, Jonathan Lewis, and other well
recognized industry experts don't show up in their home town giving
presentations. This is an opportunity to hear them and learn. And, I
would hope obviously, to hear from many experts with many different
areas of Oracle-related expertise.

It is also an opportunity to visit the exhibitor booths and learn about
vendors and technology that otherwise you would not be aware of.

And, provided you are not a total introvert, an opportunity to meet new
friends and establish new relationships with others like yourself from
all over the world.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

hpuxrac

Oct 22, 2006, 8:15:14 PM10/22/06

There's all types really.

While it is more of a marketing event than a heavy technical conference
there is a good mixture of DBA's and senior developers here besides the
management types and the suits.

Lots of accents and languages here with large amounts of European (
lots of german heard ) and Asian-Pacific people. Lots of English and
Australian also.

I would guess that most people do have their company paying the bill (
quite pricey if not ) but there are certainly some people paying their
own way.

HansF

Oct 22, 2006, 10:15:00 PM10/22/06

The OOWs I've attended have been filled with every imaginable combination
of people, including management, technical, tech reporter, end user,
consultant, independant.

AFAIAC, the purpose is simple, and two-fold: information, and networking.
Leading edge in both cases.

If I didn't have pre-existing contracts for the week, I'd have gone, on my
own nickle.

--
Hans Forbrich (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!

klabu

Oct 22, 2006, 10:55:39 PM10/22/06
are the "kernel group" engineers there ?
Do any of them give sessions or Have any of you talked with them ?

Mark Townsend

Oct 23, 2006, 12:55:46 AM10/23/06
klabu wrote:
> are the "kernel group" engineers there ?
> Do any of them give sessions or Have any of you talked with them ?

Most definitely. There are 174 database related presentations being
given by the Product Managers and Engineers from Oracle's Server
Technology Division. In addition, most of these people are also
available for 1:1 discussions on the demo ground floor (over 50
different database demonstrations)

Mark Townsend

Oct 23, 2006, 12:59:19 AM10/23/06

Or to put it another way - around 700 people from the Server Tech
division will be there at some point or another