Oracle 8i + Terminal Services on Win2k Server - it is possible?

Adam Siwocha

Jan 14, 2003, 10:55:38 AM1/14/03
Hello,
it is possible to run Oracle 8i on Windows 2000 Server simultaneously with
Terminal Services?
Whithout TSC everything is ok. When I installed TSC and try to connect to
the instance there is an error: "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error".
Regards,
Adam

Niall Litchfield

Jan 14, 2003, 11:16:48 AM1/14/03
"Adam Siwocha" <asiw...@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message

Yes

However connections achieved by using

set oracle_sid=<sid>
sqlplus username/password

will fail in a terminal services session. You will need to use a tnsnames
alias.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Sybrand Bakker

Jan 14, 2003, 1:00:14 PM1/14/03
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:16:48 -0000, "Niall Litchfield"
<n-litc...@audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>Yes
Beg/q to disagree with you on this one. The BEQUEATH protocol doesn't
work on Microsux Terminal Services, and Oracle has no plans to fix
this, as Microsux is the only vendor having problems. In some cases
you are *forced* to use BEQ and using a tnsnames alias is simply not
possible. This is at least the issue with using the Oracle Agent for
Arcserve.
In the particular case the internal customer *only* wants to work with
Microsux Terminal Server because that seems to be the only secure
option. As far as Oracle is concerned *any* emulator (PcAnywhere, VNC,
Timbukto pro, you name it) will *fully* work, *except* Microsux
Terminal Server.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Paul Brewer

Jan 14, 2003, 3:52:51 PM1/14/03
"Sybrand Bakker" <gooid...@nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message

> Beg/q to disagree with you on this one. The BEQUEATH protocol doesn't
> work on Microsux Terminal Services, and Oracle has no plans to fix
> this, as Microsux is the only vendor having problems. In some cases
> you are *forced* to use BEQ and using a tnsnames alias is simply not
> possible. This is at least the issue with using the Oracle Agent for
> Arcserve.
> In the particular case the internal customer *only* wants to work with
> Microsux Terminal Server because that seems to be the only secure
> option. As far as Oracle is concerned *any* emulator (PcAnywhere, VNC,
> Timbukto pro, you name it) will *fully* work, *except* Microsux
> Terminal Server.
>
> Regards
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Yep, agree. Terminal Services doesn't work with Bequeath.
It's crap. We have to use NetOp for remote control of NT boxes.

Why is this necessary? With Unix, we can just telnet.

Regards,
Paul

Niall Litchfield

Jan 14, 2003, 4:04:46 PM1/14/03
"Sybrand Bakker" <gooid...@nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:16:48 -0000, "Niall Litchfield"
> <n-litc...@audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
>
> >Yes
> Beg/q to disagree with you on this one. The BEQUEATH protocol doesn't
> work on Microsux Terminal Services, and Oracle has no plans to fix
> this, as Microsux is the only vendor having problems.

I believe I alluded to this problem in my reply.

> In some cases
> you are *forced* to use BEQ and using a tnsnames alias is simply not
> possible. This is at least the issue with using the Oracle Agent for
> Arcserve.

I'm not aware of any occasions where you are *forced* to use the BEQ
protocol., though I'll admit that in many cases it is the natural protocol
to use. In the example you give, surely the appropriate solution would be to
write a shell script and not bother with the 3rd party agent. Admittedly
what you save on software you will probably spend on disks to hold the
backups before they go to tape.

> In the particular case the internal customer *only* wants to work with
> Microsux Terminal Server because that seems to be the only secure
> option.

I couldn't possibly comment :(.

Niall Litchfield

Jan 14, 2003, 4:11:04 PM1/14/03
"Paul Brewer" <pa...@paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message

> Yep, agree. Terminal Services doesn't work with Bequeath.
> It's crap. We have to use NetOp for remote control of NT boxes.
>
> Why is this necessary? With Unix, we can just telnet.

Of course if you wanted to you could telnet into a win2k box :(.

Dan Yusuph

Jan 15, 2003, 12:30:38 AM1/15/03
"Adam Siwocha" <asiw...@poczta.onet.pl>
wrote in message news:<b01btr$tc0$1...@news2.ipartners.pl>...

AS> it is possible to run Oracle 8i on Windows 2000 Server simultaneously with
AS> Terminal Services?
AS> Whithout TSC everything is ok. When I installed TSC and try to connect to
AS> the instance there is an error: "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error".

yes, it is
1.set up tnsnames.ora like your server is a client
2.create string parameter in registry "LOCAL"="YOUR_SID"
3.or you can use command "set local=YOUR_SID"
4.now you can log on to database using any client program in remote
session mode

Dan Yusuph
Learning Oracle DBA

Paul Drake

Jan 15, 2003, 2:19:55 AM1/15/03
"Niall Litchfield" <niall.li...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<3e247b6f$0$247$cc9e...@news.dial.pipex.com>...

> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooid...@nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:16:48 -0000, "Niall Litchfield"
> > <n-litc...@audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
> >
> > >Yes
> > Beg/q to disagree with you on this one. The BEQUEATH protocol doesn't
> > work on Microsux Terminal Services, and Oracle has no plans to fix
> > this, as Microsux is the only vendor having problems.
>
> I believe I alluded to this problem in my reply.
>
> > In some cases
> > you are *forced* to use BEQ and using a tnsnames alias is simply not
> > possible. This is at least the issue with using the Oracle Agent for
> > Arcserve.
>
> I'm not aware of any occasions where you are *forced* to use the BEQ
> protocol., though I'll admit that in many cases it is the natural protocol
> to use. In the example you give, surely the appropriate solution would be to
> write a shell script and not bother with the 3rd party agent. Admittedly
> what you save on software you will probably spend on disks to hold the
> backups before they go to tape.
>
> > In the particular case the internal customer *only* wants to work with
> > Microsux Terminal Server because that seems to be the only secure
> > option.
>
> I couldn't possibly comment :(.
>
> Niall Litchfield

Greetings, all.

back in the day of 8.1.7, svrmgrl used bequeath - along with the
utilities lsnrctl, namesctl and cmanctl.
I believe that utilities such as Openlink [odbc] use it also.

If you don't feel like coughing up the funds for NetOp, PC Anywhere or
Timbuktu, there is always vnc. Development on that has seemed to
pickup lately - check http://www.realvnc.org for the latest ...

I see bequeath and MS Terminal Services incompatibilities to a be a
blessing.
Why would you want to have to support users running software on the
console, virtual or otherwise - of an oracle server?

Get them back onto an app server or their own desktops where they
belong.

Paul

Niall Litchfield

Jan 15, 2003, 4:16:42 AM1/15/03
"Paul Drake" <drak...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Greetings, all.
>
> back in the day of 8.1.7, svrmgrl used bequeath - along with the
> utilities lsnrctl, namesctl and cmanctl.

Good point. Admittedly I rarely use these (read never for the last two) and
then only to stop and start the service which can be done from control panel
or a net start/net stop command, but point taken.

> I see bequeath and MS Terminal Services incompatibilities to a be a
> blessing.
> Why would you want to have to support users running software on the
> console, virtual or otherwise - of an oracle server?

I think the problem is if your business is that of being a remote DBA either
in-house or otherwise. Users definitely belong at the end of a client but
DBA tasks require console acccess (generally).

Paul Brewer

Jan 19, 2003, 2:54:53 PM1/19/03
"Paul Drake" <drak...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

What about when the DBA needs to fix something?

Regards,
Paul

Paul Brewer

Jan 19, 2003, 2:53:06 PM1/19/03

> "Paul Brewer" <pa...@paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message
> > Yep, agree. Terminal Services doesn't work with Bequeath.
> > It's crap. We have to use NetOp for remote control of NT boxes.
> >
> > Why is this necessary? With Unix, we can just telnet.
>
> Of course if you wanted to you could telnet into a win2k box :(.

Our infrastructure people refuse to run telnet servers on Windows boxes.
I assume this is for security reasons, and I have to take their word for it.

Regards,
Paul