SLA 1500-euro fine because of CREATE MVIEW locks...

Spendius

Mar 25, 2006, 3:59:05 AM3/25/06
Ten days ago I asked what goes on when you create a mat. view
(*even* without building it) and why so many locks suddenly
appear THAT DON'T LOOK RELATED to your mview creation, yet
are systematic, and why it makes so many sessions hang. All
answers I got was stuff kind of "you'd better go to 10g" - which
was not really helpful (and no worries: migrations's planned this
year -anyway can you swear that heavy create mview-related
locks have gone off in 10g ??-).
My boss just told me the customers required our company to
pay them a €1500 fine because of the 10-minute downtime the
applications endured... (which of course he wasn't very glad about)

Spendius

Sybrand Bakker

Mar 25, 2006, 5:38:30 AM3/25/06
On 25 Mar 2006 00:59:05 -0800, "Spendius" <spen...@muchomail.com>
wrote:

This is a free and volunteer forum. It is NO Metalink, so you can not
expect people are going to try to reproduce your situation, especially
as the questions *you* ask are often way too broad and too generic to
be answered with similar generalizations other than 'It depends'
If you are not on the latest patch, it may be a reason to upgrade, and
you could of course have perused Metalink patch and upgrade releases
notes to find out whether your issue is known and has been addressed.

Your complaints are unjustified.
If you have a SLA with fine clauses, your company needs to address
whether proper support is in place.
If a customer refuses to upgrade, the problem can't be held against
your company.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Spendius

Mar 25, 2006, 6:10:27 AM3/25/06
Sybrand Bakker a écrit :

> If a customer refuses to upgrade, the problem can't be held
> against your company.
Indeed: any migration project (to 9i or 10g) has been delayed
for *years* by the same customer... (they don't want to hear
about even a few hours of application unavailability = > you
guess the result)

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

bdb...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2006, 12:04:59 PM3/25/06
> €1500 fine

That still sounds cheaper than a full blown testing plan executed in
your testing environment.

-bdbafh

Herod

Mar 26, 2006, 5:44:27 PM3/26/06
you put something into PROD without thorough testing?

You should pay that fine out of your pocket, and that should be your
last task for the company.

Herod

Mar 26, 2006, 6:01:41 PM3/26/06

Joel Garry

Mar 30, 2006, 2:40:56 PM3/30/06

Did you ever read metalink Notes: 258252.1 258021.1 ? blablalbla query
rewrite?

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
DB function failed with error number 1146