Sybrand Bakker - request for a list of insults

Pete

Dec 11, 2004, 10:04:24 AM12/11/04
I am wanting to put together a collection of the demeaning one
upmanship comments SYBRAND BAKKER has written in this and related
groups. This will be used for a website I am creating. If you have
some then post to this thread please. Typical examples (the entire
thread can be viewed in Google groups) are:

From: Sybrand Bakker (pos...@sybrandb.demon.nl)
Subject: Re: 1031, insufficent priv error & dbms_session.set_context
line 58
Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server
Date: 2002-07-03 10:59:03 PST

This is sooooooooooooo......... boring
If people would search the archives that would reduce the traffic in
this group with 80 percent, and the small bunch of people responding
here wouldn't have to waste their time to repeat the same answer over
and over again.

AND

From: Sybrand Bakker (gooid...@nospam.demon.nl)
Subject: Re: Foreign Keys
Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server
Date: 2003-01-05 15:00:52 PST

This can't be a serious question.
What else did you expect? The * purpose * of the foreign key is to
avoid orphaned records and to enforce relational integrity.
You need a foreign key if you have a *relationship* between 2
entities. If you don't define foreign keys and don't enforce
relational integrity, you will end up in a mess. Obviously, given your
question, you don't care about that.

PLEASE ALSO INCLUDE ANSWERS FROM THE NEWSGROUPS ABOUT SYBRAND BAKKER.
A TYPICAL EXAMPLE IS BELOW:

From: po...@my-deja.com (po...@my-deja.com)
Subject: F45 question (not for Sybrand Bakker the social misfit)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.tools
Date: 2000/06/21

FIRSTLY, SYBRAND.

AS I AM IN NO DOUBT THAT YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE MAKE NO ATTEMPT
AT ANSWERING THE QUESTION BELOW. THIS IS FOR 2 REASONS .....

1. I HAVE READ A FEW OF YOUR ATTEMPTS AT ANSWERING ORACLE FORMS
QUESTIONS, AND YOU ARE TO SAY THE LEAST, TOTALLY INEPT IN THIS SUBJECT
AREA.

2. YOUR HAVE A PERSONALITY DISORDER OF THE FIRST DEGREE WHICH PROBABLY
DATES WAY BACK TO YOUR CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCES. AT A GUESS, YOU WERE
SEXUALLY ABUSED BY YOUR MOTHER OR FATHER, BUT I MIGHT BE WRONG.

TAKE A PIECE OF ADVICE SYBRAND. UNLESS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE TO THIS
NEWSGROUP WITHOUT EXPOSING YOUR REPUGNANT CHARACTER, I SUGGEST YOU GO
AND USE YOUR MANY LONELY HOURS DOING SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T INVOLVE
INTERFACING WITH OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.

YOU NEED NOT READ ON.

Question
--------
I have developed a Form...........

Lurker by Nature

Dec 11, 2004, 12:14:17 PM12/11/04

"Pete" <peter.c...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

> I am wanting to put together a collection of the demeaning one
> upmanship comments SYBRAND BAKKER has written in this and related
> groups. This will be used for a website I am creating. If you have
> some then post to this thread please. Typical examples (the entire
> thread can be viewed in Google groups) are:

IMO - Yes, Sybrand can be very mean spirited, and worse, his demeanor sets a
tone for this entire newsgroup. But... He is extremely knowledgeable and
occasionally answers questions without being demeaning. Further, you aren't
going to change him and the bandwidth consumed by an online flamefest is
entirely unproductive.

Fred Nurk

Dec 11, 2004, 2:28:37 PM12/11/04
Why??? Sybrand has provided very useful replies over the years and does
not warrant this type of behaviour. It is people like Sybrand who make news
groups like this one successful.

All this would achieve I feel would be to lessen the value of this
newsgroup.

My 2c

Rauf Sarwar

Dec 11, 2004, 5:54:42 PM12/11/04
You will basically get four kinds of responses to any question in this
NG.

1) A spoon fed answer while giving you everything from A-Z.
2) A straight forward answer without indulging in too many details.
3) A simple answer probably qualified as a hint.
4) A "slight kick in the pants" kind of an answer to remind you about
RTFM etc.

People will give you answers according to who they are. They are not
being extra nice or extra mean to you. Just take the answer and be glad
that someone cared to help you without getting paid a single dime....
so please stop this nonsense about digging thru someone's archives in
this fashion.

Regards
/Rauf

jdevr...@yahoo.com

Dec 12, 2004, 2:29:13 AM12/12/04

I'll agree with Rauf.

I too have bumped into Bakker and I prefer to see him as a test
of my character rather than a person. This is easy to do
since I only see his writing rather than his face.

This type of approach to dealing with a jerk becomes more
difficult when I work with the jerk or have him in my family.
Nevertheless it's important (for me) to quickly gain an
objective view of my emotions when a jerk attempts to push
my buttons.

A small, petty person reacts to a jerk differently than One
who is wise, confident, secure, and motivated to fix his
own character flaws.

A corrolary:
Don't allow the mistakes of another person rub off on me.
If you flip me off, I'll show you the peace sign (except in Australia).

Also, if I see a flaw in a person, I keep that observation to
myself; I don't share it with that person and certainly not
with anyone else.

And now a generalish-technical question...

I have a mildly complex query which contains 7 inline views.

I have some joins in there along with some NOT EXISTS sub queries.

This query is 90 lines long.

The optimizer likes it; the query runs in about 2 seconds.

So, I took this query and wrapped with a view.

When I SELECT * from the view, it takes 70 seconds.

SQL tuning gurus...
can you give me any tips on how to make this view run in 2 seconds?

I wish I could get the view to use the same execution plan as
the naked query.

I've fiddled around with a variety of hints (both inside the view and
global)
and the view is still 70 seconds slow.

Also I used
SET AUTOTRACE TRACE
inside of SQLPLUS to compare the two execution plans and they are
indeed different (but similar).

Help!

Howard J. Rogers

Dec 12, 2004, 3:06:49 AM12/12/04
jdevr...@yahoo.com wrote:

[snip]

> And now a generalish-technical question...
>
> I have a mildly complex query which contains 7 inline views.
>
> I have some joins in there along with some NOT EXISTS sub queries.
>
> This query is 90 lines long.
>
> The optimizer likes it; the query runs in about 2 seconds.
>
> So, I took this query and wrapped with a view.
>
> When I SELECT * from the view, it takes 70 seconds.

Would there be unique constraints, foreign key constraints, primary keys
and so on on the tables involved? If so, then they're probably invisible
to the optimiser unless you have 9i and care to add constraints to your
views. Such constraints are not actually enforced (they must be created
in the disable novalidate state, but with the RELY flag set), but they
'publish' the real, operative constraints up the level of the view where
the optimiser can suddenly realise what's actually going on at the
underlying table level.

Just a thought. It might be worth looking at, anyway. Depends on your
version, though (which you neglected to mention...)

Regards
HJR

Denis Do

Dec 12, 2004, 5:09:05 AM12/12/04
> so please stop this nonsense about digging thru someone's archives in
> this fashion.

I absolutely agree. As you know (probably your sysadmin told you:-) - "all DBAs
are morons":-) That is what I am hearing all the time (as a joke and sometimes
seriously) And, honestly, sometimes we are :-)
BUT, please do not follow the same "rude behaviour" and forgive people, if
someone got annoyed with silly questions.

As Rauf told you, all these advices are free in the end of the day.
You can hire consultant and
he will be VERY pollite to you - so take it easy mate!

Have a great day!

jdevr...@yahoo.com

Dec 12, 2004, 2:47:29 PM12/12/04
ah,
my version...
I am running this:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
HJR..
you have given me some hope.
I now have some ideas to follow.
thanks!

Howard J. Rogers

Dec 12, 2004, 3:10:21 PM12/12/04

Hope so. Without the execution plans to view, it's impossible to know
for sure. But worth a dabble, certainly...

Fingers crossed for you.

And since the thread has (happily) stopped being a silly, vindictive
one, I've taken the liberty of renaming it. Hope you concur.

Regards
HJR

jdevr...@yahoo.com

Dec 12, 2004, 3:58:31 PM12/12/04
Thanks HJR,

For those of you who are entertainment challenged this weekend,
I have posted the following in the hopes of more useful comments:

The query and its Execution Plan:
http://www.geocities.com/jdevroberto/p1211qryOut.txt

The view which wraps the above query and its Execution Plan:
http://www.geocities.com/jdevroberto/p1211viewOut.txt

What looks interesting to me is the keyword, "CARTESIAN" in
the second Plan.

-jd

Van Messner

Dec 12, 2004, 4:52:43 PM12/12/04
Don't bother doing this Peter. There are only a handful of people in the
group who disparage others, demand apologies, and so on. Ignore them. Or,
if it makes you feel better, imagine what it's like to live in the world
with that kind of personality. These folks won't be affected by what you
proposing and it just makes you look equally petty.
Also notice that the really top-notch people answering questions are always
polite. They're secure in their Oracle knowledge and in their own skins.
(Think Tom Kyte, Jonathan Lewis, etc.)

Holger Baer

Dec 13, 2004, 5:35:06 AM12/13/04
Pete wrote:
> I am wanting to put together a collection of the demeaning one
> upmanship comments SYBRAND BAKKER has written in this and related
> groups. This will be used for a website I am creating. If you have
> some then post to this thread please. Typical examples (the entire
> thread can be viewed in Google groups) are:

You've got nerves man! Just after you where silly enough to send that
test post trying to start a flame war like this?

Good luck in getting *any* question answered in this group.

No regards
Holger

Dusan Bolek

Dec 13, 2004, 6:33:52 AM12/13/04
Well, maybe I'm not the most polite and nice person in the world, but I
didn't see any problems with the responses shown above.
In the first case Sybrand just pointed out something that is very
obvious and it is: consistent usage of google would save 50% of news
traffic. In the second case he was maybe too direct, but I'm sure that
all DBAs strugling with databases with "data models" without
constraints (hello SAP, hello Peoplesoft) have big understanding for
this. The only rude person was the one who wrote shown answer using
upper case, which is something to be considered not only rude to
readers but also stupid.
If there would be something to criticize Sybrand for, it is that he
rarely (I remember two times) wrote to quickly and responded in the
fashion "no question about it, it must be clear to anyone" even in
cases when it was not clear at all and everything was more complex as
was revealed later on. However, that's very rare and no one is perfect
anyway. So for me Sybrand's responses are OK and there are much more
hostile posters in this newsgroup than he is.

just my 2 eurocents (much stronger than us ones)

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spa...@seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.

joel-...@home.com

Dec 13, 2004, 2:07:50 PM12/13/04

Pete wrote:
> I am wanting to put together a collection of the demeaning one
> upmanship comments SYBRAND BAKKER has written in this and related
> groups. This will be used for a website I am creating. If you have
> some then post to this thread please. Typical examples (the entire
> thread can be viewed in Google groups) are:

And yet, there was a time Sybrand was consistently concise and helpful,
for example:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle/browse_frm/thread/fff8dca6fda805f6/f4867ebe5c352911?q=author:Sybrand+author:Bakker&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dauthor:Sybrand+author:Bakker%26start%3D0%26scoring%3Dd%26safe%3Dimages%26as_drrb%3Db%26as_mind%3D12%26as_minm%3D5%26as_miny%3D1981%26as_maxd%3D13%26as_maxm%3D12%26as_maxy%3D1997%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#f4867ebe5c352911

Maybe he just reflects the group. Maybe he just reflects frustration
with the industry.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.