deleted undotbs01.dbf...

de12261

Aug 1, 2007, 6:24:54 AM8/1/07
Hello

I made a mistake and deleted undotbs01.dbf.

now i try to restart the server without success.
i try to recreate an undo tablespace too, but it is not possible due
to "database not open" error and if i try to "alter database open" i
get "ORA-01092: oracle instance terminated. disconnection forced".

Please, HELP!!

thankyou

gazzag

Aug 1, 2007, 6:50:56 AM8/1/07

Operating system? Oracle version?

Anyway, if the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode and you have datafile
backups, restore the latest copy of UNDOTBS01.DBF at the operating
system level then recover your database.

If you're not in ARCHIVELOG mode, you will have to restore you your
last consistent (cold) backup.

HTH

-g

fitzj...@cox.net

Aug 1, 2007, 8:40:42 AM8/1/07

If you don't have a valid backup, either cold or hot, of this database
you really have no other option other than to recreate this database.
I hope you have at least a recent export if you don't have a backup.
Any port is better than no port in this storm.

David Fitzjarrell

astalavista

Aug 1, 2007, 8:54:02 AM8/1/07

If you comment UNDO_MANAGEMENT = auto
in your pfile/spfile
can you open the database ?

sybrandb

Aug 1, 2007, 9:36:05 AM8/1/07

The tablespace and datafile info is still in the controlfile.
Is not going to work.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

gazzag

Aug 1, 2007, 9:59:54 AM8/1/07
On 1 Aug, 14:36, sybrandb <sybra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The tablespace and datafile info is still in the controlfile.
> Is not going to work.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

Do you think an ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE might help?

Just a thought...

fitzj...@cox.net

Aug 1, 2007, 10:30:05 AM8/1/07

Since the only rollback segment available would be the SYSTEM rollback
segment I doubt even that would get this database open; it might allow
it to mount, however, which may be enough to create a new undotbs1.dbf
file.

It's probably worth a try; as I said earlier any port in this storm is
better than no port at all.

David Fitzjarrell

de12261

Aug 1, 2007, 10:50:08 AM8/1/07
On 1 Ago, 16:30, "fitzjarr...@cox.net" <fitzjarr...@cox.net> wrote:
> Since the only rollback segment available would be the SYSTEM rollback
> segment I doubt even that would get this database open; it might allow
> it to mount, however, which may be enough to create a new undotbs1.dbf
> file.
>
> It's probably worth a try; as I said earlier any port in this storm is
> better than no port at all.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Hello

i cannot open...
when I try "alter database open" it gives me the error ORA-01092:
oracle instance terminated....

so I cannot create a new undo tablespace...

is there any other solution to recreate a tablespace????

they do not have a backup ...

:-(

thank you

Krish

Aug 1, 2007, 11:13:37 AM8/1/07

Try this

SQL> startup mount

SQL> Alter database datafile < datafile path or file number> offline
drop;

SQL> alter database open;

Then
* create a new Undo Tablespace
* Make the newly created Undo tablespace as default undo
tablespace
* drop the old undo tablespace.

Thanks,
Krishna

sybrandb

Aug 1, 2007, 11:17:46 AM8/1/07
> Krishna- Hide quoted text -

This is not going to work.
This will drop the datafile, it won't drop the tablespace.
Oracle will try to online the tablespace and halt.

de12261

Aug 1, 2007, 11:19:42 AM8/1/07

thanks

I tried but when "SQL> alter database open;" i got the error ORA-01092

:-(

codadilupo

Aug 1, 2007, 11:00:02 AM8/1/07
de12261 wrote:

> i cannot open...
> when I try "alter database open" it gives me the error ORA-01092:
> oracle instance terminated....

IIUC David suggested to try to just *mount* the database, not to *open* it.

--
CdL

DA Morgan

Aug 1, 2007, 11:27:40 AM8/1/07

Push yourself away from the keyboard and stop doing stuff.

You are as likely to be making things worse as better.

Go to metalink.oracle.com and open an SR.

And generic advice to everyone and anyone: If you aren't doing
regular backups with RMAN seriously consider getting another form
of employment.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

Krish

Aug 1, 2007, 11:43:17 AM8/1/07
> Krishna- Hide quoted text -

I tested this script and worked for me on my laptop ( running Oracle
10.2.0.1 on windows).

Check your alert log for a more descriptive report of the exact
startup problem. post if you find any new error messages .

Krishna.

gazzag

Aug 1, 2007, 12:00:02 PM8/1/07
On 1 Aug, 16:27, DA Morgan <damor...@psoug.org> wrote:

> Push yourself away from the keyboard and stop doing stuff.
>
> You are as likely to be making things worse as better.
>
> Go to metalink.oracle.com and open an SR.
>
> And generic advice to everyone and anyone: If you aren't doing
> regular backups with RMAN seriously consider getting another form
> of employment.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor...@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

This is sound advice. However, if you must insist on fiddling,
shutdown the database and take a filesystem backup before you do
anything further. If the worse comes to the worse, you can then
restore from this backup or even transfer it to another server.

HTH

-g

de12261

Aug 1, 2007, 3:58:46 PM8/1/07
On 1 Ago, 17:00, codadilupo <codadil...@operamail.com> wrote:
> de12261wrote:

yes, but no difference.
when the database is mounted I cannot create undo tablespace
because database is not OPENED!

thanks anyway

de12261

Aug 1, 2007, 4:02:29 PM8/1/07
On 1 Ago, 17:27, DA Morgan <damor...@psoug.org> wrote:
> Push yourself away from the keyboard and stop doing stuff.
>
> You are as likely to be making things worse as better.
>
> Go to metalink.oracle.com and open an SR.
>
> And generic advice to everyone and anyone: If you aren't doing
> regular backups with RMAN seriously consider getting another form
> of employment.

I think the same...
but it is not my responsibility if one of our customers do not make
backups of their data....

DA Morgan

Aug 1, 2007, 4:11:15 PM8/1/07

If it is your responsibility to recover it then it is your
responsibility to make sure it is backed up: If not then just go do
something else or go home. <g>

de12261

Aug 1, 2007, 4:17:10 PM8/1/07
On 1 Ago, 22:11, DA Morgan <damor...@psoug.org> wrote:
> If it is your responsibility to recover it then it is your
> responsibility to make sure it is backed up: If not then just go do
> something else or go home. <g>

in fact it is not my responsability to recover this database but
because of the kind of these people (that do not make a backup) you
probably understand why I try by myself to recover data ...
I need this data to do some query ...

Bye

sybr...@hccnet.nl

Aug 1, 2007, 4:23:02 PM8/1/07
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:02:29 -0700, de12261 <de1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think the same...
>but it is not my responsibility if one of our customers do not make
>backups of their data....

Are you seriously stating you can't be held responsible for screwing
up a database when there is no back up?
Evidently your customer will held you responsible and kick you out.
And rightly so.

de12261

Aug 1, 2007, 4:45:20 PM8/1/07
On 1 Ago, 22:23, sybra...@hccnet.nl wrote:
> Are you seriously stating you can't be held responsible for screwing
> up a database when there is no back up?
> Evidently your customer will held you responsible and kick you out.
> And rightly so.

i do nothing of wrong, they deleted a file not me!!
they asked me to recover data because oracle do not work anymore....
in the first message I do not explain all because this is not the
problem....

bye

Niall Litchfield

Aug 1, 2007, 5:23:08 PM8/1/07

well the following worked for me after moving the datafile (6) for the
undo tablespace.

SYS @ nl102 >STARTUP MOUNT;
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 612368384 bytes
Fixed Size 1250452 bytes
Variable Size 289409900 bytes
Database Buffers 318767104 bytes
Redo Buffers 2940928 bytes
Database mounted.
SYS @ nl102 >alter system set undo_management='MANUAL' scope=spfile;

System altered.

SYS @ nl102 >alter system set undo_management='MANUAL' scope=spfile;

System altered.

SYS @ nl102 >alter database datafile 6 offline drop;

Database altered.

SYS @ nl102 >alter database open;

Database altered.

SYS @ nl102 >create undo tablespace undotbs3 datafile 'c:\oracle
\10.2.0\oradata\nl102\undotbs03dbf' size 1024m;

Tablespace created.

SYS @ nl102 >alter system set undo_tablespace=undotbs3 scope=spfile;

System altered.

SYS @ nl102 >alter system set undo_management=auto scope=spfile;

System altered.

SYS @ nl102 >startup force;
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 612368384 bytes
Fixed Size 1250452 bytes
Variable Size 289409900 bytes
Database Buffers 318767104 bytes
Redo Buffers 2940928 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SYS @ nl102 >

should it not then loss of an undo tablespace datafile will kill your
database. not I think likely.

Niall

joel garry

Aug 1, 2007, 5:24:50 PM8/1/07

In your first message you stated you deleted it, what do you expect
people to think?

Even so, as gazzag said, the first thing you should do in this sort of
crisis is take a filesystem backup, so you can undo any damage _you_
inflict.

I'm still unclear as to whether you are in archivelog mode.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Do not let IBM charge you by the foot for a data center.

NetComrade

Aug 1, 2007, 5:28:48 PM8/1/07

Open a metalink SR, and hope you get an engineer that has a clue.
With some help, you might be able to bring up the db and imp/exp your
data elsewhere.
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
remove NSPAM to email

sybr...@hccnet.nl

Aug 1, 2007, 5:38:53 PM8/1/07

Quoting from your original post

Hello

I made a mistake and deleted undotbs01.dbf.

Please do not try to chicken out and blame someone else.

DA Morgan

Aug 1, 2007, 10:05:51 PM8/1/07

Apparently you don't need the data, or they don't think you do, because
if it was important it would be backed up.

I'm fascinated that anyone would go to all the expense to purchase and
host an Oracle database and then treat it like it was a stack of 3x5 cards.

DA Morgan

Aug 1, 2007, 10:09:35 PM8/1/07

If your customer deleted the file then the smartest thing you can do
is nothing. They are quite possibly unlicensed and you shouldn't be
touching it.

Your statements in this thread have conflicted with themselves but the
one thing that comes through loudly is that you are unqualified to be
doing what you are attempting to do.

Anyone offering you advise would be well advised to remember you will
likely do more harm than good.

So exactly why is it that neither you, nor your client whose database
this is, can open an SR at metalink? I'd really love to hear you state
the reason in public.

DA Morgan

Aug 1, 2007, 10:11:50 PM8/1/07

Everything about this thread is wrong starting with the fact that I
don't believe that there is a "client" and I don't believe that whoever
this is has a license. I'm offering no help until the OP clears up this
mess.

de12261

Aug 2, 2007, 2:50:38 AM8/2/07
On 2 Ago, 04:05, DA Morgan <damor...@psoug.org> wrote:
> Apparently you don't need the data, or they don't think you do, because
> if it was important it would be backed up.
>
> I'm fascinated that anyone would go to all the expense to purchase and
> host an Oracle database and then treat it like it was a stack of 3x5 cards.

me too...

de12261

Aug 2, 2007, 2:52:10 AM8/2/07
On 2 Ago, 04:09, DA Morgan <damor...@psoug.org> wrote:

> So exactly why is it that neither you, nor your client whose database
> this is, can open an SR at metalink? I'd really love to hear you state
> the reason in public.

as you understand i am not an expert of oracle...
if there are no chance, i will ask my customer this thing!

de12261

Aug 2, 2007, 2:56:40 AM8/2/07
On 2 Ago, 04:11, DA Morgan <damor...@psoug.org> wrote:

> Everything about this thread is wrong starting with the fact that I
> don't believe that there is a "client" and I don't believe that whoever
> this is has a license. I'm offering no help until the OP clears up this
> mess.

I usually write only the important things that concern the problem
itself, also because
i am not very good to write in english.
so, to fast explain the problem I said that I lost a file.

if you do not believe it does not matter for me...

i thanks everyone that try to help me for the problem.

Stefan Wetter

Aug 2, 2007, 4:05:17 AM8/2/07
Hello!

DA Morgan wrote:

> de12261 wrote:
>
> And generic advice to everyone and anyone: If you aren't doing
> regular backups with RMAN seriously consider getting another form
> of employment.

Why do you say 'with RMAN'? Is doing backups with sqlplus & 'host
copy'-Commands not as good as RMAN?

If RMAN is the only way to do a secure full backup, can you point me to
a good tutorial how to start with RMAN? Thanks!

Stefan

Cristian Cudizio

Aug 2, 2007, 6:47:14 AM8/2/07
On Aug 1, 11:23 pm, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfi...@gmail.com>

Maybe that undo tablespace contains data needed for database integrity
(in fact Undo tablespace has to be backed up
as others tablespaces containing data), for example due to "delayed
block cleanout": it has happened to me; in this
case you can open your database but when you select from a table you
got ORA-00376 (I'm not sure about the error code).
So if you are in this case your last resort is opening SR on Metalink
as already suggested by others, but whitout a backup or
at least an export i can't immagine how can they solve your problem.

Bye
Cristian Cudizio

http://oracledb.wordpress.com
http://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com

Cristian Cudizio

Aug 2, 2007, 6:54:45 AM8/2/07

RMAN is Oracle tool to make Oracle database backups, it's secure it is
included with your server license fees.
The only way to lear how to use RMAN is to use it (obviusly with
RTFM).

> Why do you say 'with RMAN'? Is doing backups with sqlplus & 'host
> copy'-Commands not as good as RMAN?

about this i hope you are joking.

gazzag

Aug 2, 2007, 6:56:21 AM8/2/07
On 1 Aug, 22:23, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> should it not then loss of an undo tablespace datafile will kill your
> database. not I think likely.
>
> Niall

Thanks to Joel for this one: http://www.yodaspeak.co.uk/

:-)

DA Morgan

Aug 2, 2007, 8:03:45 AM8/2/07
Stefan Wetter wrote:
> Hello!
>
> DA Morgan wrote:
>> de12261 wrote:
>>
>> And generic advice to everyone and anyone: If you aren't doing
>> regular backups with RMAN seriously consider getting another form
>> of employment.
>
> Why do you say 'with RMAN'? Is doing backups with sqlplus & 'host
> copy'-Commands not as good as RMAN?

No they are not.

> If RMAN is the only way to do a secure full backup, can you point me to
> a good tutorial how to start with RMAN? Thanks!
>
> Stefan

$ rman target / catalog <user_id>/<password>@<repository_db>
RMAN> create catalog tablespace <tablespace_name>;
RMAN> register database;
RMAN> CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
RMAN> backup database plus archivelog;

That's the basics but I would seriously encourage anyone with 10g to use
Block Change Tracking too:
http://www.psoug.org/reference/block_change_tracking.html

Here's one of many you can find with google:
http://www.dbazine.com/blogs/blog-cf/chrisfoot/10grmanpart1

Also of interest:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/10gr2_db_vmware/ha/ob/ob.htm

Niall Litchfield

Aug 2, 2007, 9:31:52 AM8/2/07
On Aug 2, 11:47 am, Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudi...@yahoo.it>
wrote:

> > should it not then loss of an undo tablespace datafile will kill your
> > database. not I think likely.
>
> > Niall
>
> Maybe that undo tablespace contains data needed for database integrity
> (in fact Undo tablespace has to be backed up
> as others tablespaces containing data), for example due to "delayed
> block cleanout": it has happened to me; in this
> case you can open your database but when you select from a table you
> got ORA-00376 (I'm not sure about the error code).
> So if you are in this case your last resort is opening SR on Metalink
> as already suggested by others, but whitout a backup or
> at least an export i can't immagine how can they solve your problem.
>
> Bye
> Cristian Cudizio
>
> http://oracledb.wordpress.comhttp://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com

Cristian,

I overstated my case I'll admit, and of course I agree that the poster
should be raising an SR (though I'd guess he has that message by now).
It's simply not true however that if you have only lost part of a
database that isn't backed up that the whole thing is always
unrecoverable and I guess given the time at which I was posting (I'm
in the UK) perhaps I should have just slept on it.

cheers.

Niall

p.s since I see from your blog that you welcome comments on english
language, in english we don't usually sign off with bye (the
equivalent of ciao I guess?) - though I must admit I quite like
it.

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 9:55:04 AM8/2/07
DA Morgan <damo...@psoug.org> wrote:
> Stefan Wetter wrote:

>> If RMAN is the only way to do a secure full backup, can you point me to
>> a good tutorial how to start with RMAN? Thanks!
>>
>> Stefan
>
> $ rman target / catalog <user_id>/<password>@<repository_db>
> RMAN> create catalog tablespace <tablespace_name>;
> RMAN> register database;
> RMAN> CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
> RMAN> backup database plus archivelog;

That sounds nice, but that's (of course) not the complete truth.
The above will backup the database to a directory, where the backup
is maybe not wanted. So there's some more to learn that's
necessary to make good use of RMAN.

And what do you do, if that RMAN thingie breaks? And it breaks
*VERY* easily.

Alexander Skwar

Brian Peasland

Aug 2, 2007, 10:02:15 AM8/2/07
Stefan Wetter wrote:
> Hello!
>
> DA Morgan wrote:
>> de12261 wrote:
>>
>> And generic advice to everyone and anyone: If you aren't doing
>> regular backups with RMAN seriously consider getting another form
>> of employment.
>
> Why do you say 'with RMAN'? Is doing backups with sqlplus & 'host
> copy'-Commands not as good as RMAN?

Did you do anything before executing the 'host copy' commands? If not,
then your backup is inconsistent.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
d...@nospam.peasland.net
http://www.peasland.net

DA Morgan

Aug 2, 2007, 10:37:34 AM8/2/07

It is a starting point. It doesn't do this either:

RMAN> RUN
{
ALLOCATE CHANNEL d1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT
'/home/oracle/backup1/%U';
ALLOCATE CHANNEL d2 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT
'/home/oracle/backup2/%U';
# AS COPY is default when backing up to disk
BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
}

But is is more than enough to have a secure backup while studying a
tutorial and learning more about RMAN.

Volker Hetzer

Aug 2, 2007, 10:51:52 AM8/2/07
Alexander Skwar schrieb:

> And what do you do, if that RMAN thingie breaks? And it breaks
> *VERY* easily.
I haven't had it break yet. Can you give me an example?
(I don't use the catalog.)

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.

Cristian Cudizio

Aug 2, 2007, 11:00:27 AM8/2/07
On Aug 2, 3:31 pm, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I only wanted to report a situation happened to me recently.
For the sign off i've to admit that i've a lot to learn and
unfortunately
i've not the opportunity to talk with other in English and so my
English
is what it is. However i want to follow your advice

cheers
Cristian Cudizio

http://oracledb.wordpress.com
http://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com

p.s.
better? ;)

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 11:02:59 AM8/2/07
Volker Hetzer <firstname...@ieee.org> wrote:

> Alexander Skwar schrieb:
>> And what do you do, if that RMAN thingie breaks? And it breaks
>> *VERY* easily.
> I haven't had it break yet. Can you give me an example?

Sure.

See thread at <news:6491378.f...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>
and also <news:1240493.U...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>.

Alexander Skwar

Volker Hetzer

Aug 2, 2007, 11:06:18 AM8/2/07
Alexander Skwar schrieb:
What do I do with this?
google groups doesn't recognize those strings.

Cristian Cudizio

Aug 2, 2007, 11:11:42 AM8/2/07
On Aug 2, 5:06 pm, Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastn...@ieee.org> wrote:

try to click on links ;)

Brian Peasland

Aug 2, 2007, 11:40:26 AM8/2/07

Clicking on those links do nothing for me in my newsreader.

Volker Hetzer

Aug 2, 2007, 11:55:11 AM8/2/07
Brian Peasland schrieb:

> Cristian Cudizio wrote:
>> On Aug 2, 5:06 pm, Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastn...@ieee.org> wrote:
>>> Alexander Skwar schrieb:> Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastn...@ieee.org>

>>> What do I do with this?
>>> google groups doesn't recognize those strings.

>> try to click on links ;)

> Clicking on those links do nothing for me in my newsreader.
Ditto for me.
I'm using thunderbird.

codadilupo

Aug 2, 2007, 11:30:50 AM8/2/07
Volker Hetzer wrote:

>> See thread at <news:6491378.f...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>
>> and also <news:1240493.U...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>.
> What do I do with this?
> google groups doesn't recognize those strings.

You have to remove the angle brackets and the "news:" prefix and cut and
paste the resulting string into http://groups.google.com/ -> Advanced
Groups Search -> Lookup the message with message ID.

HTH. Kind regards,

--
CdL

Brian Peasland

Aug 2, 2007, 12:13:28 PM8/2/07

Or, the poster could have just used a nice, well-formed URL similar to
the following and have avoided all of this...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/msg/9ed14964b327f01f

joel garry

Aug 2, 2007, 1:28:04 PM8/2/07

:-)

Actually, I liked the bye, it reminded me of some old ftp program
where one would say quit and it would respond bye, I kind of thought
that was what you were referring to.

It never became an actual rule on usenet, just a suggestion, but
signatures are commonly used to end messages. My .sigs are a parody,
so are not a good example to follow, but the basic rule that some
software actually follows is to have two dashes followed by a space.
Lines after that are considered a signature, automatically added to
mail and news postings on some systems, on most unix in a .signature
file in the home directory. Google about for more information
on .sig, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block is fairly
complete, including a link to RFC 3676. Google groups software
doesn't follow the signature convention, unfortunately, but it doesn't
quote exactly right, either, so maybe some kind soul there will
eventually make it right. About the time they release their pig-wing-
trimming software.

Stefan Wetter:

There are manuals at tahiti.oracle.com, including quick start and
basics: http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=3#index-BAC

There are also books available, and Daniel has posted his site links.
Unless you are either on an extremely old unsupported version of
Oracle or at a place that has very advanced admins doing backups with
snapshot hardware, RMAN is really the only way to go. Even the super-
duper GUI things generate RMAN commands.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://pubcit.typepad.com/clpblog/2007/07/leegin-and-ebay.html

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 1:59:25 PM8/2/07
· Volker Hetzer <firstname...@ieee.org>:

> Alexander Skwar schrieb:
>> Volker Hetzer <firstname...@ieee.org> wrote:

>>> I haven't had it break yet. Can you give me an example?
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>> See thread at <news:6491378.f...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>
>> and also <news:1240493.U...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>.
> What do I do with this?
> google groups doesn't recognize those strings.

Uhm? Google Groups *does* recognize those strings. I opened your
message with <news:f8srta$1i4$2...@nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com> in GG
at http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/msg/d1fd8fb0ecbff06f?as_umsgid=f8srta%241i4%2...@nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com
and I see that those strings *are* clickable. When I go to GG, I
see what's shown on the screenshot at <http://www.myimg.de/?img=Bildschirmfoto53c87.png>.

Best regards,

Alexander Skwar
--
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
-- Murphy's Laws on Sex n°48

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 2:02:01 PM8/2/07
· Brian Peasland <d...@nospam.peasland.net>:

> codadilupo wrote:

>>> What do I do with this?
>>> google groups doesn't recognize those strings.
>>
>> You have to remove the angle brackets and the "news:" prefix and cut and
>> paste the resulting string into http://groups.google.com/ -> Advanced
>> Groups Search -> Lookup the message with message ID.
>>
>> HTH. Kind regards,
>>

> Or, the poster could have just used a nice, well-formed URL

Which is just what I did.

> similar to
> the following

Nope. URLs which just point to Google Groups are quite bad. For
example, what do you do with the URL you provided when you don't
want to go to Google Groups? As you know, not everybody in a newsgroup
is using Google Groups.

> and have avoided all of this...

Why should I? What I've provided is much more usabel - even for
Google Groups users.

Alexander Skwar
--
The kind of danger people most enjoy is the kind they can watch from
a safe place.

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 2:04:25 PM8/2/07
· Brian Peasland <d...@nospam.peasland.net>:

> Cristian Cudizio wrote:

>>> What do I do with this?
>>> google groups doesn't recognize those strings.
>>>
>>> Lots of Greetings!
>>> Volker
>>> --
>>> For email replies, please substitute the obvious.
>>
>> try to click on links ;)
>>
>> cheers
>> Cristian Cudizio
>>
>> http://oracledb.wordpress.com
>> http://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com
>>

> Clicking on those links do nothing for me in my newsreader.

Too bad. <news:mid> is the form which is working in most of
the newsreaders out there.

If you want clickable message ids in Thunderbird, you need
to install an extension: MessageIDFinder -> http://messageidfinder.mozdev.org/

Alexander Skwar
--
Women's virtue is man's greatest invention.
-- Cornelia Otis Skinner

DA Morgan

Aug 2, 2007, 2:25:21 PM8/2/07

Even a crowbar, in the hands of someone that doesn't know how to use it
can break.

Want to know the number of times shell scripts have broken?

Your argument is valueless. RMAN is, without peer, and without question
the best tool available to backup and Oracle database.

DA Morgan

Aug 2, 2007, 2:28:13 PM8/2/07
Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Why should I?
>
> Alexander Skwar

I can think of several reasons but they are more conducive to someone
demonstrating aptitude rather than attitude.

I got to them ... I read them ... so what?

NetComrade

Aug 2, 2007, 2:47:58 PM8/2/07
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 05:03:45 -0700, DA Morgan <damo...@psoug.org>

>$ rman target / catalog <user_id>/<password>@<repository_db>
>RMAN> create catalog tablespace <tablespace_name>;
>RMAN> register database;
>RMAN> CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
>RMAN> backup database plus archivelog;
>
>That's the basics but I would seriously encourage anyone with 10g to use
>Block Change Tracking too:
>http://www.psoug.org/reference/block_change_tracking.html

Nice feature.. for those with STD edition, you're out of lack though.
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
remove NSPAM to email

NetComrade

Aug 2, 2007, 2:48:54 PM8/2/07
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:55:04 +0200, Alexander Skwar
<alex...@skwar.name> wrote:

>And what do you do, if that RMAN thingie breaks? And it breaks
>*VERY* easily.

My thingie never breaks.

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 3:43:10 PM8/2/07
· DA Morgan <damo...@psoug.org>:

> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Volker Hetzer <firstname...@ieee.org> wrote:

>>> I haven't had it break yet. Can you give me an example?
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>> See thread at <news:6491378.f...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>
>> and also <news:1240493.U...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>.
>>
>> Alexander Skwar
>
> Even a crowbar, in the hands of someone that doesn't know how to use it
> can break.
>
> Want to know the number of times shell scripts have broken?

Let me guess: It's larger than 0?

> Your argument is valueless.

Fine. Same holds true for your argument, though.

Alexander Skwar
--
Within a computer, natural language is unnatural.

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 3:47:15 PM8/2/07
· DA Morgan <damo...@psoug.org>:

> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Why should I?
>>
>> Alexander Skwar
>
> I can think of several reasons

Like? Name one, please. Please bear in mind, that Google
can deal with <news:...> "links" very well and that Google
also offers a search field for message ids. Also bear in
mind, that many newsreaders offer an interface which allows
the user to enter a message-id (or just click on a <news:...>
string) to fetch that message. Also don't forget, that usenet
newsservers cannot handle Google http links.

But I'm curious to find out why Google links should be used,
instead of the more versatile <news:....> links.

> but they are more conducive to someone
> demonstrating aptitude rather than attitude.

So they are no good for people like you?

> I got to them ... I read them ... so what?

Well. As said before, you really can talk quite well
about attitude, can't you? After all, you're so full
of it.

Alexander Skwar
--
Besides, it's good to force C programmers to use the toolbox occasionally. :-)
-- Larry Wall in <1991May31.1...@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov>

sybr...@hccnet.nl

Aug 2, 2007, 4:38:10 PM8/2/07
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:55:04 +0200, Alexander Skwar
<alex...@skwar.name> wrote:

It only breaks in the hands of clowns like you.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

sybr...@hccnet.nl

Aug 2, 2007, 4:40:27 PM8/2/07
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:02:01 +0200, Alexander Skwar
<use...@alexander.skwar.name> wrote:

>Nope. URLs which just point to Google Groups are quite bad. For
>example, what do you do with the URL you provided when you don't
>want to go to Google Groups? As you know, not everybody in a newsgroup
>is using Google Groups.

But then not everyone is a similar arrogant little troll like you.

sybr...@hccnet.nl

Aug 2, 2007, 4:41:49 PM8/2/07
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 21:47:15 +0200, Alexander Skwar
<use...@alexander.skwar.name> wrote:

>Well. As said before, you really can talk quite well
>about attitude, can't you? After all, you're so full
>of it.

Actually it is jus the opposite. Compared to you Vladimir Putin is a
nice man.

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 4:56:57 PM8/2/07
· sybr...@hccnet.nl <sybr...@hccnet.nl>:

I'm just "arrogant", if I'm treated arrogantly.

But what does this have to do with <news:...> strings? Or is
it, that you're simply trying to attack me personally again?
Argumentum ad hominem is soooo convincing, isn't it?

Alexander Skwar
--
Never be afraid to tell the world who you are.
-- Anonymous

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 4:58:30 PM8/2/07
· sybr...@hccnet.nl <sybr...@hccnet.nl>:

> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 21:47:15 +0200, Alexander Skwar
> <use...@alexander.skwar.name> wrote:
>

>>Well. As said before, you really can talk quite well
>>about attitude, can't you? After all, you're so full
>>of it.
>
> Actually it is jus the opposite.

As if *YOU* could judge.

> Compared to you Vladimir Putin is a
> nice man.

I dislike people who do nothing but attack people. I
like people who at least try to be helpful.

I don't like you.

Alexander Skwar
--
Oregano, n.:
The ancient Italian art of pizza folding.

Alexander Skwar

Aug 2, 2007, 5:04:10 PM8/2/07
· sybr...@hccnet.nl <sybr...@hccnet.nl>:

> It only breaks in the hands of clowns like you.

Aha. Another one of your personal attacks. Do you think that
your flame baits buys you anything?

Alexander Skwar
--
* dpkg ponders: 'C++' should have been called 'D'
-- #Debian

de12261

Aug 2, 2007, 5:02:07 PM8/2/07
On 1 Ago, 12:24, de12261 <de12...@gmail.com> wrote:

we found a solution....
we found an old dump...so we create a new database without datafiles
based on the model of the original, then create
a tablespace and then import from dump.
we have the "everyday dump file" (every day there is a file that is
imported into oracle db) and so the data is correct since now.
the only thing we lost is some materialized views that were created
after the dump....but not so important.

thanks to all that help me.

Bye!

hpuxrac

Aug 2, 2007, 8:33:44 PM8/2/07
On Aug 1, 6:24 am, de12261 <de12...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I made a mistake and deleted undotbs01.dbf.
>
> now i try to restart the server without success.
> i try to recreate an undo tablespace too, but it is not possible due
> to "database not open" error and if i try to "alter database open" i
> get "ORA-01092: oracle instance terminated. disconnection forced".
>
> Please, HELP!!
>
> thankyou

Do you have any recent good backups?

If so what utilities were used to create the backups?

Depending on existence of backups you might be able to do a recover
until cancel or until a point in time.

Is your database in archivelog mode?

StefanKapitza

Aug 3, 2007, 2:16:19 AM8/3/07
On Aug 2, 5:02 pm, Alexander Skwar <alexan...@skwar.name> wrote:

this isn't an example of "breaks 'VERY' easily",
this is an example of RTFM.

the Error Message is very Clear what the Problem is.
If you dont find the commands to get your catalog in sync with
your Backups then call Oracle.
by the way, how to delete backup's is documented in
the Manuals.

regards

stefan kapitza

Alexander Skwar

Aug 3, 2007, 2:22:14 AM8/3/07
StefanKapitza <skap...@volcanomail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 2, 5:02 pm, Alexander Skwar <alexan...@skwar.name> wrote:
>> Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastn...@ieee.org> wrote:
>> > I haven't had it break yet. Can you give me an example?
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>> See thread at <news:6491378.f...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>
>> and also <news:1240493.U...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>.
>>
>> Alexander Skwar
>

> this isn't an example of "breaks 'VERY' easily",
> this is an example of RTFM.

Depends.

> the Error Message is very Clear what the Problem is.
> If you dont find the commands to get your catalog in sync with
> your Backups

The command did not work. I'm still getting the error message
I posted in the 1st thread.

> then call Oracle.
> by the way, how to delete backup's is documented in
> the Manuals.

Yes. But if you don't follow the instructions to the letter,
RMAN breaks. That's what I meant with "breaks VERY easily".

Same for the 2nd thread, where the filename isn't configurable
anymore and where a CLEAR also doesn't work anymore.

Alexander Skwar

StefanKapitza

Aug 3, 2007, 2:58:31 AM8/3/07
On Aug 3, 8:22 am, Alexander Skwar <alexan...@skwar.name> wrote:

shure you have to follow instructions to the letter. This is how
computers work (there is a difference between rm * and rm * /r
and thats 2 letters. unfortunatly the eliza interface wasn't an
success.
If you think you have found a flaw then call oracle.

good luck

stefan kapitza

DA Morgan

Aug 3, 2007, 9:39:49 AM8/3/07
Alexander Skwar wrote:
> StefanKapitza <skap...@volcanomail.com> wrote:

>>> Sure.
>>>
>>> See thread at <news:6491378.f...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>
>>> and also <news:1240493.U...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>.
>>>
>>> Alexander Skwar
>>
>> this isn't an example of "breaks 'VERY' easily",
>> this is an example of RTFM.
>
> Depends.

Apparently mostly on attitude.

Morons don't read manuals and you wouldn't admit you were wrong if
it meant someone pulling you out of the jaws of a shark.

>> the Error Message is very Clear what the Problem is.
>> If you dont find the commands to get your catalog in sync with
>> your Backups
>
> The command did not work. I'm still getting the error message
> I posted in the 1st thread.

See above.

>> then call Oracle.
>> by the way, how to delete backup's is documented in
>> the Manuals.
>
> Yes. But if you don't follow the instructions to the letter,
> RMAN breaks. That's what I meant with "breaks VERY easily".

Lets apply this same logic to flying airplanes, performing surgery,
filling out your tax forms, or driving your car down the street.

Attitude does not trump competence.

Following directions has value.

The product didn't break ... someone with more attitude than competence
was in the driver's seat.

Reminds me of dealing with a teenager.

Volker Hetzer

Aug 3, 2007, 10:42:44 AM8/3/07
codadilupo schrieb:
Ok, got it. The snag was that the dot was turned into a %2E during the copy
link operation.

Lots of Thanks!

Volker Hetzer

Aug 3, 2007, 10:53:15 AM8/3/07
Alexander Skwar schrieb:
> · Volker Hetzer <firstname...@ieee.org>:
>
>> Alexander Skwar schrieb:

>>> Sure.
>>>
>>> See thread at <news:6491378.f...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>
>>> and also <news:1240493.U...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>.
>> What do I do with this?
>> google groups doesn't recognize those strings.
>
> Uhm? Google Groups *does* recognize those strings.
If you read the message in GG then yes, you can click on it and
it works.
If you read it in Thunderbird and click on it, nothing happens.
If you use "copy link" in thunderbird, the string gets mangled
so that, when you paste it into the search box nothing is
found:
gets turned into
news://1240493%2EUQgx...@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info/ .
(Observe the first dot changing into %2E.).
But that's not your fault. In an ideal world, clicking on the
message in thunderbird should fetch and open the correct message.

Lots of Greetings!

Alexander Skwar

Aug 4, 2007, 5:39:25 PM8/4/07
· Alexander Skwar <use...@alexander.skwar.name>:

[..]

>> Clicking on those links do nothing for me in my newsreader.
>
> Too bad. <news:mid> is the form which is working in most of
> the newsreaders out there.

Proof (sort of, at least): http://schneegans.de/usenet/mid-schreibweisen/
That's in German, but should be understandable even if you don't speak
German. Just note that "Ja" means "Yes/Supported" and "Nein" means
"No/Not supported".

Alexander Skwar
--
God instructs the heart, not by ideas, but by pains and contradictions.
-- De Caussade

Alexander Skwar

Aug 6, 2007, 3:51:16 AM8/6/07
DA Morgan <damo...@psoug.org> wrote:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> StefanKapitza <skap...@volcanomail.com> wrote:

>>> this isn't an example of "breaks 'VERY' easily",
>>> this is an example of RTFM.
>>
>> Depends.
>
> Apparently mostly on attitude.

You certainly know that, no doubt about it.

> Morons don't read manuals and you wouldn't admit you were wrong if
> it meant someone pulling you out of the jaws of a shark.

Ah, so you don't think that I'm a moron. That's nice - thanks!

Have a nice day,
Alexander Skwar

Paul Linehan

Aug 8, 2007, 4:44:39 PM8/8/07

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> p.s since I see from your blog that you welcome comments on english
> language, in english we don't usually sign off with bye (the
> equivalent of ciao I guess?) - though I must admit I quite like
> it.

Furthermore, people who write and read English normally use
a capital letter for both the language and the country (it
being a proper noun and all), this despite the fact that they
have a shite cricket(*) team!

Paul...

(*) cricket (n) - world's most boring sport - (makes curling or
golf look fascinating).