ISLAM AND WOMEN
In Islam, men and women are different from each other and each has
their respective roles. Honoring and respecting women in Islam is a
sign of a good, wholesome character and an unadulterated nature. The
Messenger of Islam, Muhammad said:
"The best of you are the best of you towards their wives." (Tirmidhi)
The woman is also the first person to whom a man must act righteously,
maintain ties with, and treat well. When a man asked the Messenger of
Islam, Muhammad to whom he should show the best companionship, he
replied: "Your mother." He said, "Then who?" He said, "Your mother."
He said, "Then who?" He said, "Your mother." He said, "Then who?" He
said, "Your father." (Bukhari)
The Messenger of Islam, Muhammad said:
"Women are the twin halves of men." (Abu Dawud)
1. Women are equal to men in their humanity. They are
not the source of sin nor are they the reason Adam was expelled from
Jannah (Heavenly Gardens).
2. Women are equal to men in their individuality. They
neither lose their names nor the names of their family upon marriage.
They do not fade away and blend into the identity of men.
3. Women are equal to men in regards to reward and
punishment in this life as well as the next.
4. Women are equal to men in that Islam seeks to
maintain and uphold their honor and chastity.
5. Women are equal to men in that they have a right to
inheritance, as do men.
6. Women are equal to men in that they have full right
to do as they please with their wealth.
7. Women are equal to men in regards to the obligation
of shouldering the responsibility of social reform.
8. Women are equal to men in their right to receive an
education and proper upbringing.
9. Woman and man have an equal share of rights in
matters pertaining to good rearing, proper teaching and caring. Islam
assures that when applying these rights of women they would be put at
a higher position.
10. • Women have the right to provisions from her husband
for all her needs and more. If she’s not married then she has the
right to provisions from her brother(s). If she doesn’t have brothers
then the closest of kin to her.
11. • A woman has the right to keep all of her own money.
She is not responsible for maintaining the family financially.
12. • Women have the right to get sexual satisfaction from
13. • A woman has the right to get custody of her children
in case of divorce unless she is unable to raise them for a valid
14. • Women have the right to re-marry after divorce or
after becoming a widow.
The Prophet of Allah said:
"Whoever has three daughters or three sisters, and fears Allah in
their guardianship, will be together with me in Paradise like this."
He indicated with his index and second fingers. (Ahmad & others )
For more information about Islam and women please