A question of tracking application users

nirav

Jun 15, 2006, 7:16:26 AM6/15/06
Hi Experts,

I have a very interesting issue on the above. The scenario is:

We have a web application with oracle as the data tier. All application
users who log to the application use a common database account... (E.g.
if the application has 60 users, (named m, n etc) when they connect to
the database, at the database level the schema is only one (i.e. abc).
So when user m connects then also the database user is abc and when n
connects then also the database user is abc. (Ie. In the database the
session is created with userid of "abc")

Now we want to implement auditing and we need to track which
application user has made what change. i.e. if user m changes a table
emp and adds a record then in an audit table a row should be added
WHICH HAS THE USER M. similarly if N does it then the row for user N
has to be there. But how do we track the application user because at
the database level we do not have application user at all!

--
A few solutions that occur to me but need to work out their details
are: Is there a way like sys_context or Fine grain auditing for this?

Shall be very thankful for your inputs..

Nirav

nirav

Jun 15, 2006, 7:18:11 AM6/15/06
Oracle version 9.2.0.6.

Sybrand Bakker

Jun 15, 2006, 9:12:30 AM6/15/06
On 15 Jun 2006 04:16:26 -0700, "nirav" <shiv...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Experts,
>
>I have a very interesting issue on the above. The scenario is:
>
>We have a web application with oracle as the data tier. All application
>users who log to the application use a common database account... (E.g.
>if the application has 60 users, (named m, n etc) when they connect to
>the database, at the database level the schema is only one (i.e. abc).
>So when user m connects then also the database user is abc and when n
>connects then also the database user is abc. (Ie. In the database the
>session is created with userid of "abc")
>
>Now we want to implement auditing and we need to track which
>application user has made what change. i.e. if user m changes a table
>emp and adds a record then in an audit table a row should be added
>WHICH HAS THE USER M. similarly if N does it then the row for user N
>has to be there. But how do we track the application user because at
>the database level we do not have application user at all!

Shortly, except if you are going to use globally authenticated
end-users, coming with Oracle Single Sign On: you can't.
That are the dire consequences of implementing a 'solution' before
even verifying possibilities at the Oracle level.
I don't know whether your application sets variables, but that is an
application issue, not a database issue.
If your application can set a context by all means use that mechanism.
Further info on setting contexts is of course in the docs you so
carefully and persistently avoid to read, misusing this forum as a
replacement.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

nirav

Jun 15, 2006, 10:25:46 AM6/15/06
Dear Sybrand

I take your criticism positively as one must listen to experience! I
must thank as well. Yes I will definately refer the docs.

Why can we not have many Tom Kytes who have the intellect of a
scientist and heart of a saint!

Thanks,
Nirav

Mark C. Stock

Jun 15, 2006, 10:39:31 AM6/15/06

"nirav" <shiv...@gmail.com> wrote in message
: Dear Sybrand

:
: I take your criticism positively as one must listen to experience! I
: must thank as well. Yes I will definately refer the docs.
:
: Why can we not have many Tom Kytes who have the intellect of a
: scientist and heart of a saint!
:
: Thanks,
: Nirav

because there's a backlog in the transplant unit? shortage of donors?

++ mcs

Sybrand Bakker

Jun 15, 2006, 1:07:00 PM6/15/06
On 15 Jun 2006 07:25:46 -0700, "nirav" <shiv...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Why can we not have many Tom Kytes who have the intellect of a
>scientist and heart of a saint!
>
>Thanks,
>Nirav

Because there are too many surgeons as lazy as you.

Look at your posts, you are STILL top-posting, even when notified
several times you shouldn't do that,. just because you are too lazy to
hit CTRL-END.