lsnrctl can start listener, crs_start cannot

herta

Jun 7, 2007, 6:59:57 AM6/7/07
I'm in the process of setting up a two-node Oracle 10.2.0.3 RAC
cluster on SLES 10. I ran a clusterware installation and two database
software installations (db_1 to be used for the databases, and db_2 to
be used for asm). The database software installations were run with
the "install database software only" option.

Prior to setting up asm, I ran netca to define the listeners, but
netca gives me pop-up warnings:

Problem in configuration: ol01: LISTENER_OL01
Listener start failed. Listener may already be running.
CRS-0215: Could not start resource 'ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr'.

Problem in configuration: ol02: LISTENER_OL02
Listener start failed. Listener may already be running.
CRS-0215: Could not start resource 'ora.ol02.LISTENER_OL02.lsnr'.

I verified that the listeners are not running on either node.

'oerr CRS 215' returns
215, 0, "Could not start resource '%s'."
// *Cause: There was an internal error while starting the resource.
// *Action: Check the CRS daemon log file.

but the daemon log is not exactly helpful:
2007-06-07 12:01:24.134: [ CRSRES][1411561792]0Attempting to start
`ora.ol01.LI
STENER_OL01.lsnr` on member `ol01`
2007-06-07 12:01:24.623: [ CRSAPP][1411561792]0StartResource error
for ora.ol01
.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr error code = 1
2007-06-07 12:01:24.928: [ CRSRES][1411561792]0Start of
`ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01
.lsnr` on member `ol01` failed.

I tried to start the listeners using 'crs_start
ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr -c ol01'

but that again fails with
Attempting to start `ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr` on member `ol01`
Start of `ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr` on member `ol01` failed.
CRS-0215: Could not start resource 'ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr'.

Starting them with lsnrctl works fine, but crs_stat still sees them as
offline:

NAME=ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr
TYPE=application
TARGET=ONLINE
STATE=OFFLINE

I removed the listeners (crs_unregister), and tried defining them
during the asm setup using dbca. Same result.

I found thread
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/55480af8f610bcc4/1eea6d12bab2464a?lnk=gst&q=CRS-0215&rnum=3#1eea6d12bab2464a
which discusses a similar error (similar in that the STATE there is
UNKNOWN), and but none of the suggestions seem to work.

I ran cluvfy, which only fails on 'Checking system requirements', with
a ' No checks registered for this product', but that is 'normal' for
SLES10.

crs_stat only shows the listeners to be OFFLINE. Everything else is
ONLINE.

I re-installed the cluster software dropping the domain names from the
hostnames, but thta didn't help either.

Initially, the vip-addresses were only defined in /etc/hosts, so I had
them added to dns (and verified both the lookup and reverse lookup).
Still no luck.

Does anyone have any idea what else I could check?

I'll probably open an SR with Oracle later today, but given that they
only just started working on a severity 2 call I opened on May 22nd, I
was hoping to get this resolved a bit quicker with your help.

Kind regards,

Herta

Steve Howard

Jun 7, 2007, 9:09:16 AM6/7/07
> I found threadhttp://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_th...

> which discusses a similar error (similar in that the STATE there is
> UNKNOWN), and but none of the suggestions seem to work.
>
> I ran cluvfy, which only fails on 'Checking system requirements', with
> a ' No checks registered for this product', but that is 'normal' for
> SLES10.
>
> crs_stat only shows the listeners to be OFFLINE. Everything else is
> ONLINE.
>
> I re-installed the cluster software dropping the domain names from the
> hostnames, but thta didn't help either.
>
> Initially, the vip-addresses were only defined in /etc/hosts, so I had
> them added to dns (and verified both the lookup and reverse lookup).
> Still no luck.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what else I could check?
>
> I'll probably open an SR with Oracle later today, but given that they
> only just started working on a severity 2 call I opened on May 22nd, I
> was hoping to get this resolved a bit quicker with your help.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta

Hi Herta,

What if you manually run crs_start ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr?

HTH,

Steve

herta

Jun 7, 2007, 9:28:22 AM6/7/07

Thanks for your reaction, Steve.

I did try that. Even tried 'crs_start ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr -c
ol01'

Both result in

Attempting to start `ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr` on member `ol01`
Start of `ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr` on member `ol01` failed.

ol02 : CRS-1018: Resource ora.ol01.vip (application) is already
running on ol01

CRS-0215: Could not start resource 'ora.ol01.LISTENER_OL01.lsnr'.

Kind regards,

Herta

Steve Howard

Jun 7, 2007, 9:36:56 AM6/7/07

Sorry, Herta, I just noticed that in your original posting :(

jas...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2007, 9:45:31 AM6/7/07
On Jun 7, 6:59 am, herta <herta.vandeney...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found threadhttp://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_th...

> which discusses a similar error (similar in that the STATE there is
> UNKNOWN), and but none of the suggestions seem to work.
>
> I ran cluvfy, which only fails on 'Checking system requirements', with
> a ' No checks registered for this product', but that is 'normal' for
> SLES10.
>
> crs_stat only shows the listeners to be OFFLINE. Everything else is
> ONLINE.
>
> I re-installed the cluster software dropping the domain names from the
> hostnames, but thta didn't help either.
>
> Initially, the vip-addresses were only defined in /etc/hosts, so I had
> them added to dns (and verified both the lookup and reverse lookup).
> Still no luck.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what else I could check?
>
> I'll probably open an SR with Oracle later today, but given that they
> only just started working on a severity 2 call I opened on May 22nd, I
> was hoping to get this resolved a bit quicker with your help.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta

just create database then create listener for DB.no listener for
oracle instance
it 'll works

jas...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2007, 9:59:49 AM6/7/07
On Jun 7, 6:59 am, herta <herta.vandeney...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found threadhttp://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_th...

> which discusses a similar error (similar in that the STATE there is
> UNKNOWN), and but none of the suggestions seem to work.
>
> I ran cluvfy, which only fails on 'Checking system requirements', with
> a ' No checks registered for this product', but that is 'normal' for
> SLES10.
>
> crs_stat only shows the listeners to be OFFLINE. Everything else is
> ONLINE.
>
> I re-installed the cluster software dropping the domain names from the
> hostnames, but thta didn't help either.
>
> Initially, the vip-addresses were only defined in /etc/hosts, so I had
> them added to dns (and verified both the lookup and reverse lookup).
> Still no luck.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what else I could check?
>
> I'll probably open an SR with Oracle later today, but given that they
> only just started working on a severity 2 call I opened on May 22nd, I
> was hoping to get this resolved a bit quicker with your help.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta

The SQL*Net process controls RAC instance access. Access to any Oracle
instance can be through either a dedicated server connection or
through a shared server connection. If access is through a shared
server connection, then the instance is set up for multi-threaded
server (MTS). If the connection is a dedicated server, then either the
user process required a dedicated connection or the instance is not
using MTS.

The configuration of SQL*Net for RAC can be quite simple. Essentially
only two files need to be configured for basic access, the SQL*Net
listener control file, listener.ora, and the instance names file,
tnsnames.ora. In a basic configuration, each server has a listener.ora
and a tnsnames.ora file, and each client has a tnsnames.ora file. A
third file, sqlnet.ora, is also present on both server and client, but
usually no configuration changes are needed to the basic file.

herta

Jun 7, 2007, 10:00:33 AM6/7/07

We're using ASM, and I cannot configure ASM without the listeners. :-(

DA Morgan

Jun 7, 2007, 4:31:16 PM6/7/07
herta wrote:
> I'm in the process of setting up a two-node Oracle 10.2.0.3 RAC
> cluster on SLES 10. I ran a clusterware installation and two database
> software installations (db_1 to be used for the databases, and db_2 to
> be used for asm). The database software installations were run with
> the "install database software only" option.
>
> Prior to setting up asm, I ran netca to define the listeners, but
> netca gives me pop-up warnings:

Where? You only run NETCA on the primary node on which you are doing
your installation. If you ran it on any other node ... undo any damage.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

DA Morgan

Jun 7, 2007, 4:32:19 PM6/7/07
herta wrote:

> We're using ASM, and I cannot configure ASM without the listeners. :-(

Where in the installation docs does it tell you to use netca to
create a listener for an ASM instance?

herta

Jun 7, 2007, 5:21:08 PM6/7/07
On Jun 7, 10:32 pm, DA Morgan <damor...@psoug.org> wrote:
> herta wrote:
> > We're using ASM, and I cannot configure ASM without the listeners. :-(
>
> Where in the installation docs does it tell you to use netca to
> create a listener for an ASM instance?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor...@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)

To answer both your questions:

I ran netca on the primary node only. It asks whether to run
clusterwide or locally, so chances of misunderstanding are slim.

The documentation doesn't explicitly tell you to set up the listener
in advance, but as already explained, we use ASM. If you configure
ASM (in our case using dbca) without the listeners up and running, it
will ask to create the listeners for you. AFAIK, you cannot set up
ASM in a cluster without the listeners up and running. (But feel free
to correct me if I missed something.) If you let dbca create the
listeners for you during the ASM setup, they will run in ASM's
ORACLE_HOME. We prefer running them in the databases' ORACLE_HOME.
FWIIW, this also came up during the Oracle RAC training, and this is
the way the instructor recommended setting this up.

Kind regards,

Herta

DA Morgan

Jun 7, 2007, 8:34:57 PM6/7/07

Let Oracle create the listeners and let them run where they run.
I don't know why the instructor indicated otherwise but we have
been doing a lot of these and never run NETCA for the ASM instance.
Then we also haven't been having the issues you've had. <g>