Oracle Licensing, guys i need your expert opinion on this.

yBayM

Nov 18, 2005, 3:11:39 AM11/18/05
My friend has a small pharmacy and wants his system to run on Oracle
database, currently he tested the Oracle 8i and works just right.

He tried to ask for the license terms for the 8i version but resellers
said that support has been stopped for this version so there's no
license for 8i only for 9i and latter versions. How true it is?

Thank you!

sybr...@yahoo.com

Nov 18, 2005, 4:24:38 AM11/18/05
100 percent.
8i has been desupported per december 31 2004.
Your friend is in a no win situation, as a 10 G license likely will be
cheaper. I'm specifically referring to 10G Standard Edition One, which
is being marketed as a low cost version, with the specific purpose to
increase the market share in smaller company area.
http://store.oracle.com will tell you all the gory details.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

Laurenz Albe

Nov 18, 2005, 5:40:07 AM11/18/05
sybr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm specifically referring to 10G Standard Edition One, which
> is being marketed as a low cost version, with the specific purpose to
> increase the market share in smaller company area.

... and to attract potential paying beta testers.

Laurenz Albe

sybr...@yahoo.com

Nov 18, 2005, 8:28:08 AM11/18/05
Why beta?
Do you seriously think 10g is a beta product?
Or do you never read manuals and consequently run into all kind of
problems?

Beta products are being sold and dumped by Microsoft, MySQL, PostgreSQL
and the like, boosting they have better software than Oracle ...
which they of course never will...
Microsoft is trying to get up their own Oracle 5 for the last 10 years
now, and they never succeeded so far.

Jeremy

Nov 18, 2005, 8:45:31 AM11/18/05
In article <F8SdnfhpePc...@giganews.com>, yBayM says...

For a completely free of charge solution he could try Oracle 10g XE (it
is beta at present though and am sure support will have to be paid for
separately). Worth bearing in mind though for the production release.

--

jeremy

HansF

Nov 18, 2005, 9:06:30 AM11/18/05
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:45:31 +0000, Jeremy wrote:

> For a completely free of charge solution he could try Oracle 10g XE (it
> is beta at present though and am sure support will have to be paid for
> separately). Worth bearing in mind though for the production release.

Oracle XE is currently in Beta.

Oracle's stated intent is that Oracle XE will be FREE and there will be no
Oracle Metalink-style support. Support will be provided by:

1) The Oracle XE discussion forum. (You see me on that.)
2) Third party - paid or free (Myself included.)
3) Patches and upgrades will be done by Oracle applying the patch and
providing a full replacement download.

Oracle XE has the following limits:
- Limited to 4GB user data. (>4GB Generates an Oracle error.)
- Limited to 1 CPU. (Only uses one CPU on SMP machines.)
- Limited to 1 GB. (Still testing - think it's SGA+PGA)

Oracle XE comes with a subset of SE[1] capability. Biggest limitation is
'no JVM' and therefore no Java Supplied procedures or APIs. Biggest
benefits are: Oracle SQL, Oracle reliability and pre-initialized HTMLDB.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com

Paul

Nov 18, 2005, 2:42:11 PM11/18/05

HansF <News...@telus.net> wrote:

> Oracle XE has the following limits:
> - Limited to 4GB user data. (>4GB Generates an Oracle error.)
> - Limited to 1 CPU. (Only uses one CPU on SMP machines.)
> - Limited to 1 GB. (Still testing - think it's SGA+PGA)

> Oracle XE comes with a subset of SE[1] capability. Biggest limitation is
> 'no JVM' and therefore no Java Supplied procedures or APIs. Biggest
> benefits are: Oracle SQL, Oracle reliability and pre-initialized HTMLDB.

The OP said that his friend had a "small pharmacy". I can't see a
small pharmacy needing anything like a 4GB database. Of course, some
of the other features may be vital to the (presumably) pharmacy
management app.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.

HansF

Nov 18, 2005, 3:44:23 PM11/18/05
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:42:11 +0000, Paul wrote:

> HansF <News...@telus.net> wrote:
>

>> Oracle XE has the following limits:
>> - Limited to 4GB user data. (>4GB Generates an Oracle error.)
>> - Limited to 1 CPU. (Only uses one CPU on SMP machines.)
>> - Limited to 1 GB. (Still testing - think it's SGA+PGA)
>
>> Oracle XE comes with a subset of SE[1] capability. Biggest limitation is
>> 'no JVM' and therefore no Java Supplied procedures or APIs. Biggest
>> benefits are: Oracle SQL, Oracle reliability and pre-initialized HTMLDB.
>

> The OP said that his friend had a "small pharmacy". I can't see a
> small pharmacy needing anything like a 4GB database. Of course, some
> of the other features may be vital to the (presumably) pharmacy
> management app.

That's what it's all about. Many SMBs can get away with a bunch of
discrete 1/4-2GB data sets and would be happy to put it in MSAccess ... so
here's Oracle with a built-in HTMLDB and just the right size.

Your typical SMB application uses a SQL data bucket managed by VB.Net or
Java. Very few of those coders are interested in taking advantage of any
RDBMS features because [insert cynical reason here]. So instead of
offering features, let 'em have a reliable data bucket at the right price.

Then, when the SMB realizes that the custom "don't buy the licenses, we
can do it" coding has cost 3x the SE licenses, the SMB can easily upgrade.

ps: [not directed at anyone, esp. Paul] My cynicism is based on
experience. My sincere apologies if voicing my experience is offensive to
'your' sensibilities.

DA Morgan

Nov 18, 2005, 5:33:04 PM11/18/05

Given that we are talking about a pharmacy, if this is in the US,
no sane pharmacist would touch MS Access unless they were looking
for an invitation to lose their license.

Can you say SarbOx?
Can you say FACTA?
Can you say HIPAA?
Can you say "lawyers in a feeding frenzy"?
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org

HansF

Nov 18, 2005, 5:58:26 PM11/18/05
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:33:04 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:

> Given that we are talking about a pharmacy, if this is in the US,
> no sane pharmacist would touch MS Access unless they were looking
> for an invitation to lose their license.
>
> Can you say SarbOx?
> Can you say FACTA?
> Can you say HIPAA?
> Can you say "lawyers in a feeding frenzy"?

You make some significant assumptions around the purpose of the database.

A small community pharamacy might also have a soda counter, and might be
creating a database on which customers like which sodas ...