excel to oracle

Tim B

Oct 5, 2007, 10:37:55 AM10/5/07
I have some data in an Excel spreadsheet - about 100 -200 records - that I
need to import into Oracle, likely with some transformation required. I can
convert it to csv or xml via MS Access and then set it up as an external
table and proceed from there. What other ways could you suggest that might
be feasible for this task? Is there another way to do it with xml as the
source?

Charles Hooper

Oct 5, 2007, 11:16:19 AM10/5/07

If you have Access, the easiest way to do this is to:
1. Connect to the Excel spreadsheet as an external table source in
Excel
2. Create a query in Access to retrieve all rows from the Excel
spreadsheet and rename the columns so that they match the Oracle
table.
3. Create an external table source connection to the Oracle table
(through an ODBC connection).
4. Modify the query definition so that it is an append query, and
select the connection to the Oracle table.
5. Run the query.

Much easier than it is to explain.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.

Mark D Powell

Oct 5, 2007, 11:50:13 AM10/5/07

Or you can just save the data as a delimited file via Excel save as
and feed the delimited file into a sqlldr task that contains the
reformatting functions as part of the load.

Then again you could potentially use an external table to mask the
file and process it via Oracle.

Charles method is good if you know Access. If not, a little scripting
can automate the file transfer and load.

The best way to do this might depend on if this is going to be a
repeated process and if you want it to be customer driven or if it
needs to be a regular scheduled task.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

joel garry

Oct 5, 2007, 7:17:19 PM10/5/07

Last week someone suggested Apex, so I gave it a try. It was real
easy (I mean including downloading XE, installing, creating a wizard
and cut-and-pasting a spreadsheet into it), but it screwed up on
special characters like copyright.

I normally use awk in korn shell scripts to masticate and load csv's
with sqlplus or sqlloader. Then I can deal with the special
characters, commas, ampersands and other cleansing issues, since
people do all sorts of weirdness getting stuff into Excel, thinking
they are being helpful.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
What's not in your database? http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071002/news_1m2russian.html

Tim B

Oct 5, 2007, 9:16:11 PM10/5/07

"Charles Hooper" <hoope...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Well, today I found out that for every record I import from my spreadsheet I
will need to add a record to an additional table, and I'll have to deal with
a couple of sequences. What I'm likely going to do is import the spreadsheet
into Access and use some VBA to read the records, create the needed insert
statements, and save them to a text file. I'll keep your solution in mind
for when I have a more straightforward import to do. Thanks.

Tim B

Malcolm Dew-Jones

Oct 5, 2007, 10:17:15 PM10/5/07
Tim B (nos...@someisp.ca) wrote:
: I have some data in an Excel spreadsheet - about 100 -200 records - that I

Excel can directly access Oracle queries, but I haven't used it recently
enough to say if this would help or how to do it.

Perl can use module Spreadsheet-ParseExcel (from CPAN) to input excel, and
then DBI DBD-Oracle to write to Oracle.

Charles Hooper

Oct 6, 2007, 7:14:53 AM10/6/07
On Oct 5, 9:16 pm, "Tim B" <nos...@someisp.ca> wrote:
> "Charles Hooper" <hooperc2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Expanding on a suggestion by Malcolm Dew-Jones - just do it all in
Excel. Following is a code sample that I produced a while ago to show
someone how to select from and update an Oracle database based on the
values in an Excel spreadsheet. Word wrapping will make this a little
ugly, but each line is indented, so it should be easy to undo the word
wrapping.

Macro security must be medium or low to access the macro. The macro
code looks like this:
------------------------------------
Sub CheckSpreadsheet()
Dim dbMyDB As New ADODB.Connection
Dim snpData As New ADODB.Recordset
Dim intLastRowChecked
Dim intFoundFirstBlank
Dim intResult As Integer
Dim intColumn
Dim strColumn
Dim strFilename
Dim strWorkbookname
Dim strSheet
Dim strExcelValue
Dim strSQL
Dim strMessage

'You must create a reference to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects
(Tools menu)

'Make sure that we don't crash - looks ugly
On Error Resume Next

'Replace MyODBCConnection with an ODBC connection name, MyUserName
with a database user name and MyPassword with the user's password
dbMyDB.ConnectionString = "Data Source=MyODBCConnection;User
ID=MyUserName;Password=MyPassword;"

dbMyDB.ConnectionTimeout = 40
dbMyDB.CursorLocation = adUseClient
dbMyDB.Open

strWorkbookname = Right(ActiveWorkbook.FullName,
Len(ActiveWorkbook.FullName) - InStrRev(ActiveWorkbook.FullName, "\"))
strSheet = ActiveSheet.Name

intLastRowChecked = 1 'Set to skip the first row
intColumn = 65 'Column A
strColumn = Chr(intColumn)

Do While intFoundFirstBlank = False
intLastRowChecked = intLastRowChecked + 1

'Read the value from the spreadsheet
strExcelValue =
Format(Workbooks(strWorkbookname).Worksheets(strSheet).Range(strColumn
& Format(intLastRowChecked)).Value)

If strExcelValue = "" Then
intFoundFirstBlank = True
Else
'Could perform an INSERT statement rather than a SELECT
statement
strSQL = "SELECT" & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & " LINE_NO," & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & " PART_ID," & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & " USER_ORDER_QTY," & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & " DESIRED_SHIP_DATE" & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & "FROM" & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & " CUST_ORDER_LINE" & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE" & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & " CUST_ORDER_ID='" & strExcelValue &
"'" & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & "ORDER BY" & vbCrLf
strSQL = strSQL & " DESIRED_SHIP_DATE"

snpData.Open strSQL, dbMyDB

Do While Not snpData.EOF
strMessage = strExcelValue & "/" &
Format(snpData("line_no")) & " " &
Format(snpData("desired_ship_date"), "m/d/yyyy") & " " &
snpData("part_id") & " Qty " & Format(snpData("user_order_qty"))
MsgBox strMessage

snpData.MoveNext
Loop
snpData.Close
End If
Loop

Set snpData = Nothing
dbMyDB.Close
Set dbMyDB = Nothing
End Sub
------------------------------------

The above macro pulls customer order IDs out of the spreadsheet (in
column A, stopping when a blank cell is found), and for each of those
customer orders, lists the order lines in the database, sorted by
desired ship date. Change it around a little, and you can then update
the database, rather than just querying information from the database.

With the above method, it should not be a problem dealing with
sequences.

Niall Litchfield

Oct 6, 2007, 1:58:45 PM10/6/07
Tim B wrote:

> Well, today I found out that for every record I import from my spreadsheet I
> will need to add a record to an additional table, and I'll have to deal with
> a couple of sequences. What I'm likely going to do is import the spreadsheet
> into Access and use some VBA to read the records, create the needed insert
> statements, and save them to a text file. I'll keep your solution in mind
> for when I have a more straightforward import to do. Thanks.

If you are going to write vba, why not just do it from excel and avoid
the access intermediate step altogether.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Tim B

Oct 8, 2007, 1:37:03 PM10/8/07

"Charles Hooper" <hoope...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snip useful code example>
Thanks for the example code, it will save me some time if end up doing it
all in Excel.