OLEDB w Oracle 10g Express Edition?

Ove

May 17, 2006, 7:57:58 AM5/17/06

I'm a newbie when it comes to Oracle, but I was asked to check if an
application could run with Oracle, so I installed Oracle 10g Express
Edition.
The application is an older VB6 app.

I installed Oracle 10g Express Edition and Oracle Client 10g Express Edition
on the same XP machine as my application
and checked that the database engine is running.

I fail to point out the database with the PromptNew dialog in
MSDASC.DataLinks. VB code:
Dim dataLink As New MSDASC.DataLinks
sDBConnection = dataLink.PromptNew 'Prompt for connection string

The only Oracle related providers in the list are
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle
and
Oracle Provider for OLE DB

The first one requires a Server Name in the next tab. I enter XE as it is
the name of my database, user system and it's password and test the
connection.
It says ORA-12154: TNS could not resolve the connect identifier.

The second one asks for Datasource. I enter XE again (perhaps wrong?)
Again ORA-12154.

I don't want to require that the user sets up a DSN.
Please help me - What is wrong here?

Regards,
Ove

sybr...@yahoo.com

May 17, 2006, 9:36:18 AM5/17/06
Four things
1 Not reading the error manual
2 Not reading the sqlnet manual
3 Not searching Google, but posting this same boring question again
4 Assuming you don't need a DSN.

In summary: a basic laziness on your behalf to do your own work.

Please search the archives for ora-12154. You will be shocked how many
fellow lazy Oracle developers you have!!

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

Ove

May 24, 2006, 3:43:03 AM5/24/06
oh - oracle dba senior dude - that piece of information from your dirty
fingertips didn't help.

THE LAW OF RECIPROCATION
If you help others, it "will" come back to you. Try it and see!
Do something very special for someone in your life. This could be anything
from helping
to teach a lower income child how to play the drums (for free). Or maybe
start a child
sponsorship with an established, reputable charity. There is a great feeling
of self-worth and dignity that comes from these noble gestures and God
mysteriously has a way of
repaying you for each and every one.

<sybr...@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet

Carlos

May 24, 2006, 5:14:31 AM5/24/06
>>God mysteriously has a way of repaying you for each and every one.

Then, go pray God (whatever) and you'll have the answer to your
ORA-12154 but...

I'd better:

1 Not reading the error manual -> Read the error manual.
2 Not reading the sqlnet manual -> Read the sqlnet manual.
3 Not searching Google, but posting this same boring question again ->
Search Google.

Sybrand doesn't give you fish: he is teaching you how to fish.

Cheers.

Carlos.