open MDF file without MSDE

Pietro

Mar 22, 2006, 5:37:23 AM3/22/06
Hello,
I'm trying to access .mdf file (a sql server database) without having
SQL Server installed on the machine (neither MSDE).
It can be done from any programming language (like Java or C#)?
Is there anyone who knows how can I do it?
Or does a native library that can access the .mdf file exist?

Thank to anyone who can help me...

Pietro.

David Portas

Mar 22, 2006, 11:10:59 AM3/22/06

You can read it as a binary file of course but the only supported
method to get at SQL Server's logical data and metadata structures
(tables etc) is to use the SQL Server engine. Microsoft doesn't publish
detailed specs for the file format.

--
David Portas, SQL Server MVP

Whenever possible please post enough code to reproduce your problem.
Including CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements usually helps.
State what version of SQL Server you are using and specify the content
of any error messages.

SQL Server Books Online:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/ms130214(en-US,SQL.90).aspx