Straegy For Developing Application In Modules

1 view

Steve

Apr 22, 2001, 1:09:47 PM4/22/01
I will be developing a frontend/backend Access97 application that
will be built in four modules. As soon as the first module is
done, it will be installed and used while the second module is
being developed. The same for a third and fourth module. The final
application will be an integrated application of all four modules.
I anticipate approximately 100 tables plus the other associated
objects(queries, forms and reports) in each module. My development
work will not be on the same system where the application is being
used. Rather I will develop each module and install it on the
system when complete, integrating each module with previous
modules that have been installed. During the development of the
second module, there will be new queries, forms and reports added
to the front end that are needed for the second module. There
could be additional fields and corresponding relationships added
to the tables in the first module. For sure there will be new
tables and relationships added to the application for the second
module. For sure there will be new relationships needed between
the tables of the first module and the tables of the second
module. I am looking for some recommendations of strategy to use
for installing the second, third and fourth modules.

Installing the new frontend is no problem; the previous frontend
will merely be replaced with the new front end. Installing the new
backend is the problem. The backend from the previous module(s)
will have data that needs to become part of the new backend. Also
new tables and relationships as well as additions to the old
tables and relationships need to be accounted for. All suggestions
on how to deal with this problem will be appreciated.

Steve

Larry Linson

Apr 22, 2001, 2:34:34 PM4/22/01
When you make changes to a tables/data database that already contains data,
you have to very carefully analyze to determine the changes that have to be
done, and when everyone is off the system (as at night, or at an announced
time), make yourself a copy to work with, in addition to the normal, reguar
backups(skipping this step can make you a very, very unhappy camper if
something goes wrong, as things sometimes do, in manual operations), make
changes to the copy you are working with, test it thoroughly with the new
application part (front end), then replace the old tables/data with the new
one, distribute the new application part, and, when the users report the
problems you overlooked, fix them and repeat the above as needed.

As you are working alone, on a copy, you can use manual or automated
methods, but you should keep a detailed record of exactly what you did, so
you can do some analysis if errors turn up.
"Steve" <san...@penn.com> wrote in message

Allen Browne

Apr 22, 2001, 10:33:28 PM4/22/01
Modifying the data structure after the app is in circulation
is always more difficult. Best approach is going to be to write
code that imports the existing data into the new structure, i.e.
db.Execute "INSERT ...

Be esp. aware of any change in rules that could make the old data
invalid.

You might care to check out a product named Data Pro at:
http://www.ssw.com.au
It's designed to help impliment data changes.

--
Perth, Western Australia
Tips for MS Access users at:

Steve

Apr 23, 2001, 12:23:51 AM4/23/01
Thanks, Larry!

"Larry Linson" <larry....@ntpcug.org> wrote in message

Steve

Apr 23, 2001, 12:24:01 AM4/23/01

"Allen Browne" <abr...@odyssey.apana.org.au> wrote in message

Steve

Apr 23, 2001, 12:24:29 AM4/23/01
Thanks, Allen!!

Lyle Fairfield

Apr 23, 2001, 1:46:54 AM4/23/01
http://groups.google.com/groups?
q=ginsberg+santus&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=1&seld=910143107&ic=1

"Steve" <san...@penn.com> wrote in
<GaEE6.1771$RB3.5...@nntp2.onemain.com>:

>I will be developing a frontend/backend Access97 application
>that will be built in four modules.

--
Lyle
http://www.cyriv.com/

Steve

Apr 24, 2001, 12:49:20 PM4/24/01
Lyle:

You have made your judgment of me without having all the facts.
Didn't you ever wonder about an individual that would use this
newsgroup to publicly slander someone?

Steve

"Lyle Fairfield" <lyle...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Lyle Fairfield

Apr 24, 2001, 12:58:26 PM4/24/01
What are the facts I do not have, Steve?

"Steve" <san...@penn.com> wrote in
<34iF6.833$5W2.2...@nntp1.onemain.com>:

>Lyle:
>
>You have made your judgment of me without having all the
>facts.

Michael (michka) Kaplan

Apr 24, 2001, 12:58:28 PM4/24/01
I think the question kind of allowed the observation, and I see no proof of
slander either.

Motion seconded Lyle, any discussion before the vote? :-)

--
michka

the only book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

"Steve" <san...@penn.com> wrote in message

Larry Linson

Apr 24, 2001, 1:50:50 PM4/24/01
Why don't you tell your side of the story, Steve? I'll read your statement
of the facts and/or explanation of why that warning was wrong.

There are enough people here who've been burned that we find warnings of
that nature quite believable. That's why some/many of us only "work remote"
with people who buy a block of hours, which we work off, then they buy
another block.

And, we aren't nearly as generous with free help to someone who we think has
done one of our colleagues out of his/her "just due".

PC Datasheet

Apr 24, 2001, 5:28:45 PM4/24/01
Lyle,

Wouldn't this have been the appropriate question before you
hastily judged me last month and then repeated your judgment again
this week? You're welcome to your opinion after you have the facts
but you placed your judgment on a public forum without any facts
at all.

Look at my response under Larry's response.

Steve

"Lyle Fairfield" <lyle...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

PC Datasheet

Apr 24, 2001, 5:36:14 PM4/24/01
Michael:

You frequently demonstrate some intelligence in your contributions
but show nothing but ignorance in your response here. It's no
laughing matter that I was called a deadbeat and a sleazeball on a
public forum. You use the word proof here but you certainly didn't
need any proof before judging me.

Look at my response under Larry for the facts of what happened.

Steve

"Michael (michka) Kaplan"
<forme...@spamfree.trigeminal.nospam.com> wrote in message

Michael (michka) Kaplan

Apr 24, 2001, 5:45:39 PM4/24/01
Well, you can continue to ask questions that show no understanding and
respond in a hostile and insulting manner to all who dare to question the
thyought that does into them. I assure you, however, that all you are doing
is make it less and less likely with each successive post that anyone would
ever be willing to help you.

Do you want to keep going? I can just about guarantee you that the only
reputation being trashed here is your own.

--
michka

the only book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

"PC Datasheet" <pcdat...@penn.com> wrote in message

Lyle Fairfield

Apr 24, 2001, 9:06:26 PM4/24/01
Well, I did know that I had previously reprimanded you for:

a) using the newsgroup to solicit business when you posted:
>Send me the addresses of websites containing names and
>addresses of doctors by specialty and I will let you know if
>I can get the data you want into a database and what my fee
>would be. I have experience extracting data from websites.

b) making an entirely inappropriate comment about my Xews indentification string
(lylefairyahoo.com) after I answered a question for you about Newsgroups:
>ooops!! My suspicions have arisen again. I just looked at
>your email server address below. Are you a FAIRY?

c) that you posted over a fake name:
<rla...@bigfoot.com>

d) ... and that Neil Ginsberg accused you of:
>What's the matter, Steve? After taking my work without paying
>me for it you come here with an alias, trying to get some
>help with your stolen project? You might not have scruples,
>but you sure have balls, I'll say that.
>To the NG: This fellow hired me to do a project, and, when
>the project was 90% completed and that 90% complete database
>was submitted to him, he informed me that he didn't want to
>complete the project and wanted his deposit back, even though
>we had an hourly contract and the amount of hours already put
>into the project *and* delivered to him equaled three times
>his deposit.

So, again, what are the facts I am missing? And where is the response to Larry, or for
that matter to any of this?

<m9mF6.3119$W91.1...@nntp3.onemain.com>:

>Lyle,
>
>Wouldn't this have been the appropriate question before you
>hastily judged me last month and then repeated your judgment
>again this week? You're welcome to your opinion after you
>have the facts but you placed your judgment on a public forum
>without any facts at all.
>
>Look at my response under Larry's response.
>
>Steve
>

>"Lyle Fairfield" <lyle...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What are the facts I do not have, Steve?
>>
>> "Steve" <san...@penn.com> wrote in
>> <34iF6.833$5W2.2...@nntp1.onemain.com>:
>>
>> >Lyle:
>> >
>> >You have made your judgment of me without having all the
>> >facts.

PC Datasheet

Apr 24, 2001, 10:11:08 PM4/24/01
Larry:

If you got my previous email, I apologize for sending it
privately. I apparently inadvertently clicked on Reply To Sender
rather than Reply To NewsGroup. I'm pasting it in here for Lyle
and Michael as I told them it would be here. Thank you for your
anticipated understanding.

Steve

Apr 24, 2001, 10:59:08 PM4/24/01
Lyle:

I apologize that you were not able to find my message under Larry.
I apparently clicked on Reply to Sender rather than Reply to
NewsGroup. I just wrote an apology to Larry for sending him a
private email if he got it and I pasted a copy of my email into a
response under Larry. At the top I pasted the date stamp on my
email to show the time I thought I sent it to Larry earlier before
I responded to you.

About your comments below.

b) Every once in a while you see banter in the newsgroup.
You're right in that what I said was inappropriate but please
believe me that I meant no harm, only friendly (at least that was
my intent) banter. If you would have come back to me or if you did
and I would have seen it and even gave a hint that you were
offended, I would have immediately publicly apologized for the
comment. Since that did not happen, although late, please accept
my apology now. I am not the type to intentionally harm anyone.

a) So, a sincere attempt to help someone makes me a bad guy?
Have you ever posted a question in the newsgroup? Especially one
where the answer is not a one-liner. You'd be surprised at how
many "solicitations to help" you receive and especially surprised
at who is sending the solicitations. Some of those who are
admonishing others are practicing "Do what I say not what I do".
Aside from that, the gentleman responded back to me appreciative
that I had posted my message. We corrresponded a few times, I gave
him some guidance and he went on to get the information he needed
from the web. I never asked for a fee for my help since he went on
to do it himself. I might also mention that I was the only one who
responded to his post.

My post this time was the exception. Many times I have posted very
detailed answers. I hope that you have seen some and know what I
am talking about. I might say though that I have not posted an
answer to the newsgroup since the "incident" until today. I am
undecided about posting future answers due to the treatment I got.

c) I don't recall ever seeing a question posted by you. For
that matter, rarely do I see a question posted by any of the
"gurus". I can't believe that all of you know everything there is
to know about Access and don't occasionally seek outside help. I
don't know if you do, but I recognize a few "gurus" asking
questions under alias names. That does not make anyone who does
this a bad guy! The strategy makes sense. Whether you feel you
have a "guru" image to uphold or you want to maintain a reputation
as a knowledgable resource, asking lots of questions in your own
name won't get you there. Nothing decptive is meant in doing it.
It's been a while now, but if you would go back through the
archive you would see numerous posts to the newsgroup using my
alias of rla...@penn.com and rla...@bigfoot.com when my ISP was
changing hands and later having technical difficulties.

d) That's all you had upon which you based your judgment; only
words!

Steve

"Lyle Fairfield" <lyle...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

PC Datasheet

Apr 24, 2001, 11:15:11 PM4/24/01
Michael:

I apologize that my post did not appear under Larry. I just
checked and it is there now. I sent it prior to my message to you
but apparently clicked on Reply to Sender rather than Reply to
NewsGroup. However, I just got a message from Larry a few minutes
ago and apparently he did not receive it so it must be out in
cyberspace somewhere. I pasted the time stamp to the top of my
message under Larry so you can see what I am saying is true.

BTW, you're welcome to your opinion after you read it; you're not
right or wrong in whatever opinion you arrive at. You were wrong
however in hastily judging me publicly without any facts of what
happened but only having the words of someone slandering another
person in a public forum.

Steve

"Michael (michka) Kaplan"
<forme...@spamfree.trigeminal.nospam.com> wrote in message

Larry Linson

Apr 24, 2001, 11:56:47 PM4/24/01
As a matter of fact, because I hadn't "prejudged" you as you accused (I was,
remember, the one in this thread who took a neutral position, agreed that
your side of the story should be heard, and suggested you post it here), I
had prepared a six-point response to your suggesting revisions before you
posted here; hoping that you could restate so that people who definitely are
my trusted, valued colleagues would not rip your reply apart. Then it
occurred to me that your e-mail might be only a copy of a posting here in
the newsgroup.

Now, I will comment (and I reach my conclusions solely from your own
statements, not going back to the other party's complaint):

All other arguments aside, when you, as you did, agreed for the
subcontractor to work on a time and materials basis, it was up to you, the
contractor, to establish the parameters -- maximum hours, maximum time
between work product reviews, structure and content of the reviews, and your
responsibility to monitor the work.

You should have established a maximum -- not relied on an estimate, which,
after all, is a guess, albeit perhaps an educated one -- or been prepared to
pay the actual hours invoiced. It is completely unreasonable to take such an
offhand estimate as a "bid" and your discussion indicates you took it as a
"best estimate with fixed upper limit" bid, expecting to benefit from any
efficiency but not pay over a fixed amount. And, you did not state that you
had established a maximum number of hours for which you would pay.

It is perfectly reasonable and not at all uncommon to spend, and charge for,
time to understand the requirements, to research specific needs, and for
time spent communicating, particularly on remote projects.

And, whatever your complaints with the work, it was your responsibility to
monitor it closely enough to know whether it was proceeding according to
plan, whether it was of acceptable quality -- because you agreed to work
with the person on a time and material basis.

If your tolerance factor was that you could not stand to risk five hours, or
ten, then it was your obligation, not the subcontractor's, to arrange to
review the work at those intervals. Most of the people with whom I have
subcontracted either had a higher tolerance than yours apparently was, or
more confidence in my ability, because rarely have we ever reviewed work
product more frequently than weekly and often on a longer interval than
that.

You are lucky that I am not a judge in small claims court hearing this as a
case. Barring other information, I'd rule in favor of your subcontractor.

Finally, you need to address the issues that Lyle raised about your previous
behavior in this newsgroup. Those alone would mitigate against some of the
participants here being willing to help you.

"PC Datasheet" <pcdat...@penn.com> wrote in message

PC Datasheet

Apr 25, 2001, 12:59:35 AM4/25/01
Larry:

Thank you for keeping an open mind here; I respect your opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Steve

"Larry Linson" <larry....@ntpcug.org> wrote in message

Michael (michka) Kaplan

Apr 25, 2001, 3:48:48 AM4/25/01
I personally do not give a shit if you are offended, as I clearly remember
the whole story of who you are now and what you have done. You are the sort
of person who should not be allowed on computers at all.

There is strong evidence that you have bilked a developer out of their
deserved resources.... if even 1/100 of what was reported is true, I
personally hope you burn in the second lowest level of hell for at least
1000 years.

(The lowest level is reserved for people who abandon kittens).

--
michka

"PC Datasheet" <pcdat...@penn.com> wrote in message

Lyle Fairfield

Apr 25, 2001, 6:17:51 AM4/25/01
I knew that if Michka and I stayed in this newsgroup long
enough, eventually we would find SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE about
which we are in 100% agreement! :-)

--
Lyle
http://www.cyriv.com/

Danny J. Lesandrini

Apr 25, 2001, 9:29:40 AM4/25/01
> (The lowest level is reserved for people who abandon kittens).

What ?!
Are there really people who abandon kittens?
Bastards!

Larry Linson

Apr 25, 2001, 9:27:35 PM4/25/01
I've had some private communication with Steve, and, as a result, thought I
ought to make it clear to everyone as I have to him: I have offered my
opinion that he was wrong in the incident at hand, based on what he had to
say about it, even without re-reading the original complaint.

But what I am NOT doing, and, of course, none of us CAN do, is to judge him
as a person by that one incident, nor can we divine his motives in that
incident. I believe it is certainly possible that this is one of those
incidents in which both parties fervently believe they are in the right.

It would be outrageous for any of us to say that he set out to rip off the
developer involved, and did, thus making him a "rip-off artist", just as it
was outrageous for Steve to contend that the developer set out to rip him
off, and did, thus making him a "rip-off artist". One or the other or both
or neither may be, in actuality, but we will never be able to determine
which.